Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #1
2out2sea

Drives: 2018 hyper blue ZL1 1LE
Installing catch can questions

I have read multiple threads here regarding catch cans on the lt4. I have an ADD W1 that I would like to install. My experience with catch calls prior to the ZL1 was that it gets installed easily between the pcv and the intake. I am less certain on the ZL1 due to the presence of the clean side factory catch can and if I understand correctly, the pcv is under the supercharger and plumbs not into the intake, but directly into the supercharger.

I have an inlet and an outlet on my catch can. I assume that I take the super charger lid off to gain access. Then I plumb the catch can between the pcv and the return to the supercharger?

If I am correct, does anyone have pics of the pcv under the supercharger? I am doing this as preventative maintenance. It seems that ingestion and pooling of blow by oil is a problem for this motor.

Fwiw I got the ADD can because it was available with GM connectors so no cutting off factory tubing, it has a dip stick and I generally liked it's looks compared to others.

I am new here and just got my ZL1 1LE,. So please don't flame me too badly. Thanks
2out2sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Not familiar with the ADD W1 cans at all. However, the plumbing should be the inlet side of your can connects to the PCV Valve- with that, I'm assuming that the ADD W1 comes with a diverter, of some sort, as the OEM PCV valve will not allow you to attach a hose to it, it's completely closed.

As for the outlet side, that will connect to either the vacuum line on the brake booster or the elbow of stock inlet tube (inside of the mass air flow sensor).

Looking at the ADD website, I don't see any mention, or image, of a diverter. You should probably, if you have not done so already, contact them to see if your can works with the LT4 motor.
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
2out2sea

I have sent an email to ADD. The can does have a separator that pools the oil vapors in the can sending only air to the outlet. Is that the diverter you are referring to? Thank you for your help BTW.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2out2sea View Post
I have sent an email to ADD. The can does have a separator that pools the oil vapors in the can sending only air to the outlet. Is that the diverter you are referring to? Thank you for your help BTW.
Starting at 5:40 point of this video will show you where the new diverter is installed.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
2out2sea

Ty for that link. I have watched some it. But, I will find time to really watch it and pay attention to the details. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
No, a diverter will reroute the crankcase gases from being dumped back into the S/C to your catch can. The vacuum line (the outlet side) connects to a positive vacuum 'somewhere' within the air intake plenum side (again, this should be connected inboard of the MAF to prevent fouling the MAF).
Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #7
2out2sea

Thanks again guys. I have reviewed the videos, albeit with limited sound due to office, etc. I understand the diverter now and at least it can be purchased from elite and possibly Mighty Mouse. Elite has two outlets where they are apparently pulling vacuum. Is that necessary? Will a sealed can pulling vacuum only from one location ahead of the MAF suffice? If not, can a single outlet can use a T barb to pull from two separate sources? I really like this ADD can and would like to use it if possible. Thanks again for everyone’s input. Sorry if this is all very Noob ish...
Old 12-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Thanks again guys. I have reviewed the videos, albeit with limited sound due to office, etc. I understand the diverter now and at least it can be purchased from elite and possibly Mighty Mouse. Elite has two outlets where they are apparently pulling vacuum. Is that necessary? Will a sealed can pulling vacuum only from one location ahead of the MAF suffice? If not, can a single outlet can use a T barb to pull from two separate sources? I really like this ADD can and would like to use it if possible. Thanks again for everyone’s input. Sorry if this is all very Noob ish...
Steve at EE and David at MM are EXTREMELY informative and helpful.

Shoot them an email through their sites. They will answer all of your questions.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
You're welcome and no worries. Elite and MM have taken different approaches to the same problem.

Elite uses a dual outlet system (both under vacuum) that they recommend for S/C or Turbo applications to vent more gases/pressure from the crankcase. Their system is also 'closed' in that it does not vent to the atmosphere.

MM uses a single outlet system (also under vacuum) but, in instances where the crankcase pressure is higher the top of the can allows for the can to vent excess pressure through an oil 'air' filter which can be upgraded to a 'recirculator' top.

Whether or not you need one or two outlets (vacuum sources) is up for debate. Again, I'd ask ADD if their system will work with the LT4 motor. They should be able to answer that.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Steve at EE and David at MM are EXTREMELY informative and helpful.

Shoot them an email through their sites. They will answer all of your questions.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
jesus !!! I was considering a catch can for mine but this technical talk has my head spinning.

do all catch can setups for these cars require this level of complexity to install?

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
jesus !!! I was considering a catch can for mine but this technical talk has my head spinning.

do all catch can setups for these cars require this level of complexity to install?
Yep. And it's the reason I have no plans to add a catch can to my current ZL1 despite having catch cans on my previous three Camaros.

If you think GM was quick to void the warranty for an "in-line" catch can on an LS3 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...voids+warranty), I assure you it will be even quicker with one on the LT4 since a significant modification has to be made to the engine.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #13
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Yep. And it's the reason I have no plans to add a catch can to my current ZL1 despite having catch cans on my previous three Camaros.

If you think GM was quick to void the warranty for an "in-line" catch can on an LS3 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...voids+warranty), I assure you it will be even quicker with one on the LT4 since a significant modification has to be made to the engine.
While I'd hardly call an aftermarket diverter 'significant' it remains to be seen if GM will void a warranty for a catch can. But to each his own.

Something else to consider, the warranty on these cars is 3/36K that's not a long time. In those 3/36 though you will get fouling throughout the intake side of the motor. While everyone is quick to talk about how DI engines are good for 50K before you have to worry about fouling the intake side, nobody knows what kind of fouling is going to accumulate on a S/C engine.

As an aside, I did show my servicing dealer's maintenance manager my catch can and asked him whether or not I voided my warranty, his response was something along these lines, "Unless you don't drain it and it starts pulling crap into the motor, I don't see what a catch can would do to cause an issue with the motor, you're good. Now, if you don't empty it and it pulls crap into the block, you're on your own and yes, I will be able to tell."
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #14
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post

They're really not that hard to install. There's a lot of 'boogie-man' talk out there.