Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #183
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
I'm also super excited to have decimated my previous personal best at Gingerman Raceway today! I ran with an "all-Miata" track day, but there were a few corrupters such as a couple of "long-nose Miata" [S2000], Poorsche [BRZ], and "5/4ths scale Miata coupe that already has a V8 swap" [my SS 1LE].

Last year I struggled to break 1:40.1. The days I was there the track just never seemed to have any grip. Today however it all went to plan. I not only racked up a series of 1:39's, I also dipped into the 1:38's for a handful of laps, including a best of 1:38.23. A huge improvement with no car change. I've been driving Gingerman for something like 14 years and I can't say I all of a sudden found time from a new line, it just seemed the track was finally dancing with good grip, plus the air temps were cool so the engine wasn't pulling ECT-based timing like a normal pleasant day. The cool air temps meant the Supercar 3R's needed a full 2 laps to start to really lean on them, they felt like icicles until then. Even then I'm still not happy with how that tire feels; it's very loose even when it's up to temp and gripping, it requires a more open and quick steering style and as such they're nearly impossible to be inch-perfect since they're moving around so much.

In any case, here in my fast lap! At lap time 45 seconds a bird nearly dive-bombs into my windshield but diverted at the last moment. Whew! I also wonder how many more tenths I could've got if it weren't for the two point-bys in the second half of the lap. Finally, this is running the car in Track Off/Off mode.

Last edited by Ryephile; 05-13-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #184
HGR Z1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NFG Coming
Thanks for the alignment tips! And congrats on the new PB! That's wicked fast!
HGR Z1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #185
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I'm also super excited to have decimated my previous personal best at Gingerman Raceway today! I ran with an "all-Miata" track day, but there were a few corrupters such as a couple of "long-nose Miata" [S2000], Poorsche [BRZ], and "5/4ths scale Miata coupe that already has a V8 swap" [my SS 1LE].

Last year I struggled to break 1:40.1. The days I was there the track just never seemed to have any grip. Today however it all went to plan. I not only racked up a series of 1:39's, I also dipped into the 1:38's for a handful of laps, including a best of 1:38.23. A huge improvement with no car change. I've been driving Gingerman for something like 14 years and I can't say I all of a sudden found time from a new line, it just seemed the track was finally dancing with good grip, plus the air temps were cool so the engine wasn't pulling ECT-based timing like a normal pleasant day. The cool air temps meant the Supercar 3R's needed a full 2 laps to start to really lean on them, they felt like icicles until then. Even then I'm still not happy with how that tire feels; it's very loose even when it's up to temp and gripping, it requires a more open and quick steering style and as such they're nearly impossible to be inch-perfect since they're moving around so much.

In any case, here in my fast lap! At lap time 45 seconds a bird nearly dive-bombs into my windshield but diverted at the last moment. Whew! I also wonder how many more tenths I could've got if it weren't for the two point-bys in the second half of the lap. Finally, this is running the car in Track Off/Off mode.

Awesome lap! I need to get back there now that I have my SS 1LE. You’ve given me a goal time to hunt down. 😜
YouTube Channel
FollowMyLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #186
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR Z1LE View Post
Thanks for the alignment tips! And congrats on the new PB! That's wicked fast!
You're welcome, and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
Awesome lap! I need to get back there now that I have my SS 1LE. You’ve given me a goal time to hunt down. 😜
Thanks! IIRC my best Gingerman lap on the Supercar 3's was 1:41.0. That would be a more level-playing field target lap time if your SS 1LE is stock.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #187
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Quote:
You're welcome, and thank you!

Thanks! IIRC my best Gingerman lap on the Supercar 3's was 1:41.0. That would be a more level-playing field target lap time if your SS 1LE is stock.
It is, aside from Power Stop Track Day Pads. I’ll be at DCTC in Rosemount, MN on Friday and then off to Road America in June 8/9. You should make the trip to RA one of these times, you won’t regret it.
YouTube Channel
Old 05-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #188
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

I plan on being at Mid-Ohio Aug 31/Sept 1 with MVP Track Time if you can make that one.
YouTube Channel
Old 06-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #189
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Ok, I didn't want to say anything until it was official, but I'm sorry to say this chapter in my automotive life is over. The trade-in value of the Camaro sharply rose in the past few months to the point that it was reaching parity with private party sales, so I took advantage to make a lifestyle paradigm shift that's been long overdue. No more track days with cars, I want to use my weekends to take motorcycle vacations. Last year I put exactly half of my annual miles on motorcycles, and doing track days A) weren't fun anymore after doing them for 16 years, and B) I was finding myself regretting not being on a motorcycle on my days off work. The Camaro is so good on-track that I wasn't going to be able to make a transition without facilitating it in a big way. So here goes:

IMG_5795.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5823.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5816.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5797.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Tesla Model 3 Performance. Black on Black

I know many of you won't get it, but I hope you do. I'm not just a muscle car guy, I've always been an all-cars guy. I grew up racing 1/10th scale electric off-road R/C cars, gasoline was strange to me when learning to drive on the street. I love the sound of the Camaro V8, but I don't need it to survive. I also loved the sound of my brappy Fiat Abarth, smooth Turbo Miata, angry buzzsaw Lotus Exige S, old-school Mustang Cobra, and velvety inline-6 BMW //M3 E36. The Tesla doesn't sound like any of them, it doesn't sound like anything. That's one facet of the wonder, and one facet of the paradigm shift. The experience is serene, but the controls are scalpel precise. It feels like I'm driving the future, and the aura is pure zen. I needed to de-escalate the insanity of life, and this helps me do that.

It's been really great being here, and the 1LE is right up there with [IMO] the best driving gasoline powered cars of all time, to put it bluntly.

Finally, as part of trading the car in, I put the car nearly back to stock. If anyone wants a full set of ZL1 brakes and please lives in or near Michigan, I'll give you a screaming deal. Shipping those beasts as one shipment would probably need a pallet. I also have a set of MRR M716 track wheels [19x10.5" front and 11" rear, for running 305/30-19 tires] and a set of Verde Empire 19x8.5" et15 winter wheels with 245/45-19 snow tires that have a little bit of serviceable life left.

I'll still hang around, I've always enjoyed the camaraderie here.

Cheers,
Ryan
Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 PM   #190
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Thanks for all your contributions, and lap time goals that you’ve set for me. I’m also an “all-cars” guy, so enjoy the Tesla!
YouTube Channel
Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #191
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Good luck with the "new" / "old" hobby. Your knowledgeable posts have been appreciated.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #192
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Ok, I didn't want to say anything until it was official, but I'm sorry to say this chapter in my automotive life is over. The trade-in value of the Camaro sharply rose in the past few months to the point that it was reaching parity with private party sales, so I took advantage to make a lifestyle paradigm shift that's been long overdue. No more track days with cars, I want to use my weekends to take motorcycle vacations. Last year I put exactly half of my annual miles on motorcycles, and doing track days A) weren't fun anymore after doing them for 16 years, and B) I was finding myself regretting not being on a motorcycle on my days off work. The Camaro is so good on-track that I wasn't going to be able to make a transition without facilitating it in a big way. So here goes:

IMG_5795.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5823.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5816.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

IMG_5797.jpg by Ryephile, on Flickr

Tesla Model 3 Performance. Black on Black

I know many of you won't get it, but I hope you do. I'm not just a muscle car guy, I've always been an all-cars guy. I grew up racing 1/10th scale electric off-road R/C cars, gasoline was strange to me when learning to drive on the street. I love the sound of the Camaro V8, but I don't need it to survive. I also loved the sound of my brappy Fiat Abarth, smooth Turbo Miata, angry buzzsaw Lotus Exige S, old-school Mustang Cobra, and velvety inline-6 BMW //M3 E36. The Tesla doesn't sound like any of them, it doesn't sound like anything. That's one facet of the wonder, and one facet of the paradigm shift. The experience is serene, but the controls are scalpel precise. It feels like I'm driving the future, and the aura is pure zen. I needed to de-escalate the insanity of life, and this helps me do that.

It's been really great being here, and the 1LE is right up there with [IMO] the best driving gasoline powered cars of all time, to put it bluntly.

Finally, as part of trading the car in, I put the car nearly back to stock. If anyone wants a full set of ZL1 brakes and please lives in or near Michigan, I'll give you a screaming deal. Shipping those beasts as one shipment would probably need a pallet. I also have a set of MRR M716 track wheels [19x10.5" front and 11" rear, for running 305/30-19 tires] and a set of Verde Empire 19x8.5" et15 winter wheels with 245/45-19 snow tires that have a little bit of serviceable life left.

Cheers,
Ryan
I may be interested in the ZL1 brakes, if the price is right. Also, I may know someone local that may be interested in the M716's.

Did you ever make it to Waterford before trading the car in?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #193
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Enjoy the Tesla and the bike. I've seen a few Tesla's on track
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #194
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Quote:

Cheers,
Ryan
Are the ZL1 brakes the red ones from the 1LE or are they the silver ZL1 calipers?
YouTube Channel
Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #195
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Thanks everyone for the kind words! My neighbor [he works at FCA and is a Jeep guy] was checking out the Tesla yesterday and it dawned on me that I went from one American Muscle car to another American Muscle car. It still surprises me how much torque the Tesla has and how well it launches from a dig. So far it takes about 18% battery per day commuting to work and back, so I only have to plug it in every handful of days, just like refueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I may be interested in the ZL1 brakes, if the price is right. Also, I may know someone local that may be interested in the M716's.

Did you ever make it to Waterford before trading the car in?
Let's grab a beer sometime at Red Coat Tavern.

I never managed to get the 1LE to Waterford, unfortunately. It would've been interesting to see what kind of lap time I could do there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0DRN71 View Post
Are the ZL1 brakes the red ones from the 1LE or are they the silver ZL1 calipers?
I have the silver ZL1 brakes (a few pages back are detailed pictures). FWIW I was impressed how much cooler they ran on-track vs. the SS 1LE brakes.

Last edited by Ryephile; 06-18-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #196
FollowMyLine
Driver for Hire

Quote:
I have the silver ZL1 brakes (a few pages back are detailed pictures). FWIW I was impressed how much cooler they ran on-track vs. the SS 1LE brakes.
Ah, that is a deal breaker for me. My wife is currently in Michigan, if you had the Red ZL1 1LE Calipers, I would have been all over it.

Good luck with the sale, and enjoy the Tesla! Please track it at least once. ;-)
YouTube Channel