Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 05-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #15
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Mustang trunk: 13.5 cubic feet
Camaro trunk: 9.1 cubic feet
48.4% larger. I rounded up to 50%.

The 5.0 is in general slightly underrated at 460 hp. It makes more like 465-475 hp. I have seen some dyno 425 rwhp bone stock, which is like 480 hp.

In 2018 the Mustang had the "Safe and Smart" package (carried over to '19), which has pre-collision alert/assist and pedestrian awareness, audible collision warnings, adaptive cruise, auto high beams, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, and lane keep assist/warning.

In 2018 the Camaro only had blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert iirc. 2019 added front collision alert, but still lags way behind what is available in the Mustang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
There is a video where a stock SS put down 431 RWHP. I would take those dynos with a grain of salt honestly. Dynos are great tracking gains after mods but other than that they are just bar stool talking points.

I will agree that my Mustang was more "livable" than my Camaro. But I have a truck and SUV for that. I have friends with Mustangs some even with the GT* (LOL) honestly neither the Mustang or Camaro would suit me as a daily driver.

The one option the Mustang did not have that Camaro did and was a dealbreaker was a sunroof.
A couple things to consider comparing Camaro (455) and Mustang (460) power ratings....
  • Camaro and Corvette both use LT1 engines. Camaro rated at 455, Corvette at 460. I am not aware of any hardware differences between the two. We know that Corvette is not OVER-rated....
  • Back when I was still doing intel work at GM, I told the Camaro Team that Mustang would be coming in at 460 hp. They basically shrugged, as if to say “so what?”. It was clear they knew something I didn’t. At the time I thought maybe a power bump was coming. In retrospect I think they were just ok with the fact that they were already there.
  • I’ve seen some really high dyno numbers off of stock Camaros. Higher than I would expect to see off of a 455 crank hp. I might get a chance to test that theory Saturday. There will be a dyno at the James Martin Performance Car Show this Saturday. If I can get my car on it that would be cool.

One thing that might be preventing me from getting my car on the dyno is that there has typically been long lines for that and I will be playing in the band that’s scheduled for the event, so there’s that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #16
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
A couple things to consider comparing Camaro (455) and Mustang (460) power ratings....
  • Camaro and Corvette both use LT1 engines. Camaro rated at 455, Corvette at 460. I am not aware of any hardware differences between the two. We know that Corvette is not OVER-rated....
  • Back when I was still doing intel work at GM, I told the Camaro Team that Mustang would be coming in at 460 hp. They basically shrugged, as if to say “so what?”. It was clear they knew something I didn’t. At the time I thought maybe a power bump was coming. In retrospect I think they were just ok with the fact that they were already there.
  • I’ve seen some really high dyno numbers off of stock Camaros. Higher than I would expect to see off of a 455 crank hp. I might get a chance to test that theory Saturday. There will be a dyno at the James Martin Performance Car Show this Saturday. If I can get my car on it that would be cool.

One thing that might be preventing me from getting my car on the dyno is that there has typically been long lines for that and I will be playing in the band that’s scheduled for the event, so there’s that.

Did you get your car on the dyno?

The exhaust is likely different between the SS and Corvette, maybe accounting for a slight hp loss in the SS compared to the Vette?

Regarding LT1 (455 rated) vs Gen 3 Coyote (460 rated) horsepower:
In Motor Trend's testing, the GT* was 3 mph and 0.3 seconds faster than the 2019 A10 SS (12.4 @ 115.8 vs 12.1 @ 118.8). Car and Driver the GT* trapped 2 mph higher and was 0.1 seconds faster (12.2 @ 118 vs 12.1 @ 120). Interestingly, the Car and Driver SS was 49 lbs heavier than the Motor Trend SS (maybe it had either more fuel or more options). And the GT* is around 40 lbs or so heavier than a similarly equipped SS, which combined with a consistently higher trap speed tells me the Coyote has to be making more than just 5 hp more than the LT1. Trap speeds are a good indicator of hp in similarly weighted cars. Those mph differences combined with the weight differences seem like a 20+ hp difference between the two. Maybe there's too many other variables at play.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:28 PM   #17
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:

The exhaust is likely different between the SS and Corvette, maybe accounting for a slight hp loss in the SS compared to the Vette?

In Motor Trend's testing, the GT* was 3 mph and 0.3 seconds faster than the 2019 A10 SS (12.4 @ 115.8 vs 12.1 @ 118.8). Car and Driver the GT* trapped 2 mph higher and was 0.1 seconds faster (12.2 @ 118 vs 12.1 @ 120). Interestingly, the Car and Driver SS was 49 lbs heavier than the Motor Trend SS (maybe it had either more fuel or more options). And the GT* is around 40 lbs or so heavier than a similarly equipped SS, which combined with a consistently higher trap speed tells me the Coyote has to be making more than just 5 hp more than the LT1. Trap speeds are a good indicator of hp in similarly weighted cars. Those mph differences combined with the weight differences seem like a 20+ hp difference between the two. Maybe there's too many other variables at play.
No you are right. Mph is really the indicator of power. Dynos can be tampered with. I have seen this first hand.
If the Stang is 2-3 mph faster in the quarter consistently then it’s likely making a bit more power.
I like those Coyote engines. I don’t like the physical size of them though. Far better than the mod motors though.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #18
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
No you are right. Mph is really the indicator of power. Dynos can be tampered with. I have seen this first hand.
If the Stang is 2-3 mph faster in the quarter consistently then it’s likely making a bit more power.
I like those Coyote engines. I don’t like the physical size of them though. Far better than the mod motors though.
My guess drag mode has the most to do with high trap speed. There not getting those speeds in regular mode or the m6 as they all have the same engine.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:52 PM   #19
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Gearing/gear ratios will also play a part.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

The visibility thing is not that big an issue as plenty of us DD these cars and absolutely love them. Others can't get past it. It would take more than one test drive to know if you're ok with it or not. So just remember that.

That is probably the biggest issue with the visibility. Just about ever ysingle review mentions it, so people go into a test drive with the preconceived notion that the visibility is bad. Gets amplified on a ten minute test drive.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Hp and traps

Quote:

I believe dyno comparisons of the two have been made before and show the Camaro as at least equal (I saw one that had the Camaro putting down more, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's comparisons showing the opposite) to the Corvette in what they put down to the wheels. The Corvette might have a more free flowing exhaust past the headers but the Camaro lt1 has the supposedly slightly better tri y exhaust manifold. The drivetrains also differ with the Vette being a real transaxle and may play a factor as well. I'm not dogging the Corvette as it is the faster car regardless.

As far as the perceived 20 hp difference you mention between the lt1 and gen 3 coyote, that's a hard sell considering the manuals have the same engine and with those transmissions the Camaro traps the same or higher than the mustang. It was also mentioned that the non pp1 GT isn't trapping quite that high, though idk the validity of that it's worth noting if true. So there's more variables than just hp. I do believe both engines to be a little underrated and the mustangs possible being slightly more underrated in hp but I doubt it's a 20 hp discrepancy.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Coyote size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
Agreed, I like coyotes almost as much as Chevy small blocks but when you put both cars side by side with the hoods popped up those 5.0's look huge compared to the ls/lt's.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 05-07-2019 at 03:49 PM.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #23
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:

No. Line never died down and I was spending a lot of the time under the tent playing in the band. I'll have to see who put an un-modded 6th gen through the dyno and see what they got.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
germanicus

Drives: Pony Car
Quote:
No. Line never died down and I was spending a lot of the time under the tent playing in the band. I'll have to see who put an un-modded 6th gen through the dyno and see what they got.
Alembic and a Mark bass amp?
germanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #25
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanicus View Post
Alembic and a Mark bass amp?
Yessir. Good eye. Here’s a better pic from several years ago. Different band. Opening for a Monster Truck Jam at Ford Field in Detroit.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 PM   #26
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yessir. Good eye. Here’s a better pic from several years ago. Different band. Opening for a Monster Truck Jam at Ford Field in Detroit.
Nice! I spent 10 years (2005-2015) as the lead guitarist for a cover band in Portland, OR. Lots of good times were had.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote