Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #169
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
Are they good, hell no, dangerous, not really. I ran my old C5 on run flats many times before I switched to regular tires. Never had an issue...
I tried running my buddies bolt on c7 manual with the stock tires at a track with really good prep. Not only was launching very hard, the car went out sideways after shifting 3rd. A novice driver could have hit a wall. Car was around 440 RWHP.

My bolt on ls1 on the same day had zero issues with traction at all but I was running. Hoosiers. She went much quicker and straight as an arrow.

After that experience I'm a believer in race tires at the race track with cars of that caliber. It's not only much less frustrating it's also just safer
Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #170
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Thanks, I think I'm beginning to get it now - they don't 'give' as much to reduce shock. Suggests to me that they'd be more prone to develop wheelhop if everything else was kept the same.

Norm
Yes, and when the break traction it is very sudden. Feathering the throttle is pretty difficult when the nanny's are completely off.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #171
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
Lol

Those tires are actually dangerous at the track. Junk
I was being sarcastic. I know how drag radials work. My dad has run a tire shop all my life. Has been on national radio shows as the tire guru. (Not that it makes me an email expert!). I have a set on my nova now. However my MTs still don't hook. Ran dirt track Hoosiers with tubes back in the late 80s before the current tires existed. To get the maximum traction you want the side wall to wrinkle. But that requires low air pressure, tubes and screwed in beads. Drag radials are a compromise. However the compounds today are pretty awesome. I do not think the run flats are truly dangerous but not ideal and would get expensive. I plan on using the silver OEM wheels as track wheels until I buy some 18s. (If I get that serious, I already have a weekend toy)
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #172
big hammer

Drives: 2002 ws6
I should reiterate that I found the runflats to actually hook fine on the street. Just dangerous at the track
Old 03-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #173
z28guy30

Drives: 2016 camaro 1ss
There is a ton of unreasonable bias over on the Mustang6 forum. It is nothing short of Ford fanboyism.
z28guy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:10 AM   #174
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
It's in the nature of a long-running rivalry - there's always going to be at least a few. On both sides of the street.

BTW, I know you identified the main M6g culprit

Norm
Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #175
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28guy30 View Post
There is a ton of unreasonable bias over on the Mustang6 forum. It is nothing short of Ford fanboyism.
I try to stay away from that place any more. Used to do quite a bit of reading over there.

But I have peeked back over there 2 or 3 times in the past month... every time I read the complete non-sense some of their members are spouting, it makes me want to punch myself in the face for doing so. Then maybe I'll learn to just let the fanboys be fanboys.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #176
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I try to stay away from that place any more. Used to do quite a bit of reading over there.

But I have peeked back over there 2 or 3 times in the past month... every time I read the complete non-sense some of their members are spouting, it makes me want to punch myself in the face for doing so. Then maybe I'll learn to just let the fanboys be fanboys.
I peek in too much, mostly to get laughs for a Facebook group I'm in (car group, but non car specific). I see a special someone is still infatuated with me and brings me up when I didn't even start a conversation about him. Heh. . I think he misses me calling out the bull crap that a special someone posts. They should make my posts visible to see how full of crap they are.

I like the Mustang overall, but dislike Mustang people. The ones that think it does everything best, not people who genuinely just like the car. They say this forum is full of fanboys posting ridiculous crap, this forum says they are. I don't think people in here are as bad, but obviously that's my opinion. I don't see constant excuses being made and crazy theories everywhere.

I don't post over there anymore, but there were a few people from Facebook group that went over there (non GM guys). One guy got banned within the day and another one it took a few I believe. I don't think one should go to a forum to simply troll, but a person could be interested in the car and still call our bullshit in the forum. My favorite sections would be the versus ones because I like arguments. Haha.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #177
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28guy30 View Post
You specifically posted the same topic on this forum and the other forum just to get a rise out of the mustang crowd. How did you think they would react?
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #178
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
That vrs section, LOL. Honda beats a 5.0 and Mercedes C300 better than a Ecoboost
Old 03-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #179
MikeyCamaro

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
And it runs no better times. Might be the weight of the extras over the SP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I can attest to that, although there are far fewer people racing their SRT's compared to Scat Packs so it's hard to tell since there are so few SRT times out there. When I took my SRT to the track with 1100 miles on it (stock), I ran 12.35 @ 114.28. I wasn't able to lay down all the power because if you hit it too hard/early it hops like mad. I didn't try that hard because I left all 4 tires at 34 PSI and had about a half tank of fuel, but I haven't taken it back since. I had plans to try one more time and reduce the rear pressure and set the shocks to the softer "street" setting as that's supposed to get rid of wheel bop, but time is not on my side these days.

All I know is that from almost two years of testing, there are no more than 3 or 4 Scat Packs that have dipped into the 11's stock (including stock tires). That was done here in just a month or two, so given the averages I see, I think the Camaro is about .15 to .2 faster on average.

Mike
MikeyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #180
moonrider

Drives: 2016 2SS
I see that people on the mustang forum say that the Camaro looks like a Camry. I don't see it all. I think maybe they're just hurt because the Mustang looks so much like a Fusion? Not that there's anything wrong with that.
moonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #181
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrider View Post
I see that people on the mustang forum say that the Camaro looks like a Camry. I don't see it all. I think maybe they're just hurt because the Mustang looks so much like a Fusion? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not saying it's valid, but I can see it. Same with the Fusion-Mustang comparison.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #182
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Anyone who thinks that's a valid (or even remotely close) comparison is the kind of person you never ask to if a girl looks good. They will come back with something like this thinking they are close:

Probably better examples out there, but you get the idea.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote