Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #141
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyellow1 View Post
Then again, its hard to go to a track when you get your car in November as most are closed pending where you live.

Speaking to the GT, I'm curious what the gap would be between the new SS if it had the same tires in terms of handling stats. No doubt the Camaro would still have better stats but if anyone has ever driven on P-zeros you would understand how much is left on the table performance wise. I've never driven on the Eagle F1s so I cant really comment on how they are.
That assumes the RFTs on the SS actually perform better than the P-zeros. I don't have experience with the GT's P-zeros, but they make plenty of excellent tires for other cars. RFTs are not known for being great performance tires.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #142
Childs Play
Pizza & Wings Only $12.99

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5Legend View Post
This is why the Mustang already lost, all those cars are hideous
Looks are subjective...

I personally love the interior of the new Mustang. Not the biggest fan of the front end but meh. Just my opinion.

Past Rides:
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
2012 Camaro ZL1 A6
2017 Camaro 2SS M6
Childs Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #143
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Thanks!

2015 GT with the performance pack and Recaros. Sees auto-x and road course duty, not so much drag strip. Couple pics below, and one of my prior toy that put a hurting on a lot of pricy cars.

The Ford boys initially thought I was a troll on their forums due to my name.

love that color! looks really nice with the black wheels.

for me, If I was in the market for a mustang it would be a coin flip between that competition orange and deep impact blue.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #144
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Car & Driver just got 12.5 1/4 on the 350 nonR and even said that's nothing great. But again this is a track car they said. Track car the SS 8 speed auto and the C7 Z51 are getting in the 12'.0 s . I thinks its the low end torque range that's hurting the 1/4 mile times. They even said it's hard to get a good start off the line.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #145
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
Car & Driver just got 12.5 1/4 on the 350 nonR and even said that's nothing great. But again this is a track car they said. Track car the SS 8 speed auto and the C7 Z51 are getting in the 12'.0 s . I thinks its the low end torque range that's hurting the 1/4 mile times. They even said it's hard to get a good start off the line.
You can't compare magazine times with owner times, they can go either way so it's hard to compare. If you are going to use a magazine time for the GT350, you should do the same for the SS.

So if that was a 12.5, you should use 12.3 (auto) and 12.4 (manual) times IMO...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #146
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
You can't compare magazine times with owner times, they can go either way so it's hard to compare. If you are going to use a magazine time for the GT350, you should do the same for the SS.

So if that was a 12.5, you should use 12.3 (auto) and 12.4 (manual) times IMO...

It's like that pretty much at all forums

Around here you can take member Camaro times, but must compare them only to magazine Challenger and Mustang times because "they're verified to be stock" That's why you get the oft quoted 13.0 time for the Mustang auto and the 12.6 time for the Scat Pack Challenger auto. In reality the Mustang auto has run as fast as 12.5 stock on stock rubber and the Challenger down into the 12.1's..but they're dismissed because they're not "magazine times".

But again, everyone does it, in all camps.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #147
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

Around here you can take member Camaro times, but must compare them only to magazine Challenger and Mustang times because "they're verified to be stock" That's why you get the oft quoted 13.0 time for the Mustang auto and the 12.6 time for the Scat Pack Challenger auto. In reality the Mustang auto has run as fast as 12.5 stock on stock rubber and the Challenger down into the 12.1's..but they're dismissed because they're not "magazine times".

And we already have a 12.0 on a auto ss in the first month in the wild. The 11s are coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #148
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
I've owned my share of Shelby GT500's and a few Camaro's. When I drove the new SS last week I bought the damn thing. That's how good I think it is and I even traded in my 13 Boss302. They hate me over @ the G6 mustang forum.
Seems to me that you like nice cars. Congrats on your new Camaro!
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #149
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Good to see both forums have a nice selection of fanboys. The SS is definitely faster and any Mustang owner disagreeing with this is simply wrong.

Cheers from the other side of the street, gentlemen

Regards,

Current Mustang guy

P.S. Someone stole "ssyellow" on here, a name I have used on every forum for the past 7 years
to the forum, your car looks awesome. I would pick your Competition Orange or Triple Yellow on the Mustang.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #150
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post

I see your point, but using the one off best ET's aren't the best comparison either as those times are not typical. Like what people on here and M6G call "hero times". I have been drag racing for like 20 years and have never in my life heard that time used...lol. The best ET is just that, the best ET, not this "hero time" BS.

The 12.5 time for stock auto Mustangs is beyond rare, like one of two have hit that. Most are in the high 12's. 392 12.1's are a rarity too, most of those guys are in the mid 12's. I think that these new SS's are going to run quicker and much more consistently then both of those cars though. I mean so far for the autos the two magazine tests have been 12.3 and 12.2, and private owners have hit 12.3, 12.2 and 12.0. As for the manuals, magazine tests have been 12.5, 12.4 and 12.4. I know of one private owner who has hit a 12.3 last week. So much less of a spread from magazine times, to owner times, to these so called "hero times" so far with the SS.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #151
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I see your point, but using the one off best ET's aren't the best comparison either as those times are not typical. Like what people on here and M6G call "hero times". I have been drag racing for like 20 years and have never in my life heard that time used...lol. The best ET is just that, the best ET, not this "hero time" BS.
Sure, it's a personal best, but perhaps the term "hero [whatever]" is more readily recognized with respect to autocross run times or time trial lap times than it is at drag racing - which wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Ever hear of an exceptionally good drag racer referred to as an "alien driver"? (I'm guessing not, but it's a widely recognized term in the autocross world.) Two different languages sometimes.

Norm
Old 12-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #152
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:

The 12.5 time for stock auto Mustangs is beyond rare, like one of two have hit that. Most are in the high 12's. 392 12.1's are a rarity too, most of those guys are in the mid 12's. I think that these new SS's are going to run quicker and much more consistently then both of those cars though. I mean so far for the autos the two magazine tests have been 12.3 and 12.2, and private owners have hit 12.3, 12.2 and 12.0. As for the manuals, magazine tests have been 12.5, 12.4 and 12.4. I know of one private owner who has hit a 12.3 last week. So much less of a spread from magazine times, to owner times, to these so called "hero times" so far with the SS.
In defense of the scat pack it's stock rear tires are piss poor.

They run very close to the camaro when both have a tire. I believe the best time is 11.89 so far and the guy claims stock with DR. The camaro will probably only clip that by a tenth or two in the next few years.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:26 PM   #153
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
The thing about magazine times is if all 3 cars are run on the same day you know there are as few variables as you will ever get. These hero times may have slight modifications like tunes or other "hidden" mods.

The only relative times are the mag times between the Camaro and Mustang because they were on the same day.

Let's not forget that stock 10.4 hellcat that had race fuel, drag radials and later found to have a hidden shot of nitrous.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #154
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
Quote:

You can't get an auto trans in the 350. All I'm saying is the 1/4 mile times are not anything to write home about in the non R350.