Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics


Emblempros


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #1
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
2016 Camaro SS Flex Fuel Enable Help

I'm getting the default value of 40% alcohol. Here is what iv'e done.

Fuel Sys>Diagnostics>FlexFuel>Sensor Diag | Enabled
Engine>Fuel>Flex Fuel>General>Flex Fuel | Enabled
Engine>Fuel>Flex Fuel>General>Flex Sensor | Sensor
Engine Diag>DTCs>P0178> | SES Enable and MIL on Second
Engine Diag>DTCs>P0179> | SES Enable and MIL on Second

I've also checked the signal wire pin is going to pin 38 of the connector multiple times. I took the pin out and put back in. I confirmed the Sensor is getting battery voltage at the plug. Looking at the plug with the "Hump" facing upwards I have power on the left most pin and ground in the middle.


I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be grateful.
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #2
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
Also getting P0178 now
Attached Files
File Type: zip CamaroTune.zip (1.54 MB, 74 views)
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
parish8

 
Drives: 17 SS a8
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: omaha
Posts: 1,444
Do you have a recent version of hptuners. I had issues last year when I tried this. The version I had showed it enabled but when I sent the file to someone with a newer version it showed disabled. I downloaded the most recent version and everything worked after that.
__________________
760 rwhp at 11psi, 6.48@113 1/8th mile, stock motor
1096 rwhp at 22psi, 5.94@122 1/8th(18psi), 9.19@155 1/4(20psi), drop in rods and pistons
Twins build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465472
parish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
Do you have a recent version of hptuners. I had issues last year when I tried this. The version I had showed it enabled but when I sent the file to someone with a newer version it showed disabled. I downloaded the most recent version and everything worked after that.
thanks for the reply. I'm on version 4.0.12
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
StateOfMind415
 
StateOfMind415's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NFG M6 MRC NPP
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 65
I'd say your tune is not yet complete. Take a look at the file '2016_ss_flex_fuel_baseline.zip' found in this thread. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469951

You can find this info in the changelog.txt, but overall you need to change the following below. It has worked great for me, but make sure your HPT software UI is in "advanced" mode to find all relevant values.
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> General -> Air Fuel Ratio -> Stoich AFR-> Flex Fuel AFRs *(use values from .hpt compare file)*
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Enabled
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Fuel Sensor -> Sensor
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0178 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0179 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Fuel Sys -> Diagnostics -> Flex Fuel -> Sensor Diag -> Enable

*** optional ***
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> AFR Correction -> Alcohol -> Gas table
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> IAT Spark -> Mult4 -> [1.00 1.00 0.80 0.50 0.20]
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Cranking -> enhanced for Flex Fuel
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Alcohol Adder -> timing added for Flex Fuel cold starts

For any reason if this doesn't work, make sure the white cable is connected ALL THE WAY IN. Good luck!
StateOfMind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind415 View Post
I'd say your tune is not yet complete. Take a look at the file '2016_ss_flex_fuel_baseline.zip' found in this thread. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469951

You can find this info in the changelog.txt, but overall you need to change the following below. It has worked great for me, but make sure your HPT software UI is in "advanced" mode to find all relevant values.
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> General -> Air Fuel Ratio -> Stoich AFR-> Flex Fuel AFRs *(use values from .hpt compare file)*
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Enabled
- modified Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Fuel Sensor -> Sensor
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0178 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Engine Diag -> DTC's -> P0179 -> Flexible Fuel Sensor Circuit Low -> checked, Error Mode -> MIL on Second Error
- modified Fuel Sys -> Diagnostics -> Flex Fuel -> Sensor Diag -> Enable

*** optional ***
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> AFR Correction -> Alcohol -> Gas table
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Spark Correction -> IAT Spark -> Mult4 -> [1.00 1.00 0.80 0.50 0.20]
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Cranking -> enhanced for Flex Fuel
- modified Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> General -> Cranking/Start -> Alcohol Adder -> timing added for Flex Fuel cold starts

For any reason if this doesn't work, make sure the white cable is connected ALL THE WAY IN. Good luck!

thank you for the reply. This is the link that I went off of. Did you find anything in my file that wasn't done compared to the things that are required? What version do you have? On my version there is no

Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Enabled

It's more like

Engine -> Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> General -> Enabled
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
StateOfMind415
 
StateOfMind415's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS NFG M6 MRC NPP
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkReaper View Post
thank you for the reply. This is the link that I went off of. Did you find anything in my file that wasn't done compared to the things that are required? What version do you have? On my version there is no

Engine -> Fuel -> Open & Closed Loop -> Flex Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> Enabled

It's more like

Engine -> Fuel -> Flex Fuel -> General -> Enabled // I think my version said this as well. The path on my file wasn't exact to the changelist.txt.
I can check your file tonight and my version, but from the looks of it if you followed the directions correctly, you should be okay with the tune. What type of kit do you have? I read somewhere in the forums that people were not getting a full signal due to a poor connection. I'd retrace the wiring harness making sure everything is properly crimped, pushed in, and properly grounded.

Also, are you using the 'advanced' mode for HPTuners to change all the values? Have you tried another e85 station to see if the ethanol content is consistent? Some stations serve more or less ethanol content.
StateOfMind415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
TJay74

 
Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,225
On the Camaro SS, all of the flex fuel tables for fueling and spark are already filled out from the factory. The only thing needed is to enable the sensor and the 2 DTC codes along with the diagnostic code.

Did you remove the blue ring on the PCM connector to allow the pin to seat fully? It is an easy step to miss and if you did the pin wont seat or make connection.

I would also log into your HPT owners page and check the download link and make sure you are running the newest release for HP Tuners. As said, make sure you are using the advanced user version and not the basic version.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 PM   #9
KingLT1


 
KingLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 46804
Posts: 2,918
No they are not filled out correctly. If you want to get the full gains off of E85 then the Stoich table needs setup correctly and the flex fuel spark table needs setup correctly so it adds the correct amount of timing per amount of E%. Then the PE table needs adjustment.
__________________
2016 NFG 1SS A8
Options-[2SS Leather/NPP]
Perf. mods-[Whipple 2.9/LPE LT5 TB/Rotofab Dry/LT4 Fueling/Flex Fuel/CA ORP/FM NPP Axle back]
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:52 PM   #10
TJay74

 
Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 2,225
Then I'm not sure on the 16, my 2017 had all of the flex fuel tables in place. The stoich table was already filled out and on the same values that GM uses for all of their FF vehicles.

The FF spark table was also already populated as well on my car. The only thing my tuner did was dial in my PE tables and work on the spark tables.

I had already looked at the FF tables and unlocked my vehicle on my HPT cable and done some tuning on my own before I had the tuner use my cable to dial the tune in. I was lucky they let me do that to save me the tuning credit money.

My 2016 Sierra 6.2 also had all of the FF tables setup and in place as well. The OEM factory stoich values were dang near identical to the ones the Camaro had, granted both of them were on the rich side. Both vehicle gained over 20rwhp with nothing more than enabling all of the FF stuff and putting E85 into the tank. The remaining 10rwhp was found in cleaning up the PE table and messing with the timing tables.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #11
JohnE
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53
Not sure if you found the problem yet, but I had the same issue. Here is my posting and fix:


https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509492


Feel free to ask me any additional questions. -John





Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkReaper View Post
I'm getting the default value of 40% alcohol. Here is what iv'e done.

Fuel Sys>Diagnostics>FlexFuel>Sensor Diag | Enabled
Engine>Fuel>Flex Fuel>General>Flex Fuel | Enabled
Engine>Fuel>Flex Fuel>General>Flex Sensor | Sensor
Engine Diag>DTCs>P0178> | SES Enable and MIL on Second
Engine Diag>DTCs>P0179> | SES Enable and MIL on Second

I've also checked the signal wire pin is going to pin 38 of the connector multiple times. I took the pin out and put back in. I confirmed the Sensor is getting battery voltage at the plug. Looking at the plug with the "Hump" facing upwards I have power on the left most pin and ground in the middle.


I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help would be grateful.
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #12
KingLT1


 
KingLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 46804
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Then I'm not sure on the 16, my 2017 had all of the flex fuel tables in place. The stoich table was already filled out and on the same values that GM uses for all of their FF vehicles.

The FF spark table was also already populated as well on my car. The only thing my tuner did was dial in my PE tables and work on the spark tables.

I had already looked at the FF tables and unlocked my vehicle on my HPT cable and done some tuning on my own before I had the tuner use my cable to dial the tune in. I was lucky they let me do that to save me the tuning credit money.

My 2016 Sierra 6.2 also had all of the FF tables setup and in place as well. The OEM factory stoich values were dang near identical to the ones the Camaro had, granted both of them were on the rich side. Both vehicle gained over 20rwhp with nothing more than enabling all of the FF stuff and putting E85 into the tank. The remaining 10rwhp was found in cleaning up the PE table and messing with the timing tables.
They are populated but not with the correct data. My 2016 had 14.10840 across the board in the stoich table. The stock flex fuel spark table needs some adjustments as well.
Attached Images
  
__________________
2016 NFG 1SS A8
Options-[2SS Leather/NPP]
Perf. mods-[Whipple 2.9/LPE LT5 TB/Rotofab Dry/LT4 Fueling/Flex Fuel/CA ORP/FM NPP Axle back]

Last edited by KingLT1; 08-17-2018 at 01:27 AM.
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #13
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
thanks for the help guys. The file I attached was my 4 or 5th iteration. I had the stoich table set on the other files so that isn't the problem. And I wouldn't think that table would stop the sensor from being read.

I was an automotive technician in highschool and currently I am an Automation Engineer. Trust me the pin is in. I re-seated it at least 12 times now. Yes I pulled the blue ring out every time.

I really appreciate everyones help but I think it has come down to a bad sensor. Skidmark said they will replace it AFTER they test it. I have to pay for shipping and they will reimburse after its proven to be bad.
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #14
BlkReaper
 
Drives: 2016 2ss
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Phoeinx, AZ
Posts: 137
KingLT1

I also live in Fort Wayne
BlkReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.