Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #1
Rich Alsip

Drives: 2016 2SS convertible black
Lifting rear on SS vert

Anyone lifted rear to switch out wheels on 16 2SS vert?
Rich Alsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Beast6162

Drives: '12 Hennessey Vert & '17 50th Vert
I just did mine this last weekend (I have a 4 post lift but I was changing the brake pads to ceramic pads and lifted the whole car). DISCLAIMER: This is how I jacked the convertible in the rear end but I do not know if this is recommended by GM.

I placed the jack stands on the pinch welds in the areas called out in others posts. Now for jacking the rear I used the center section right above where the "X" is for the undercarriage cross bracing (It looks like part of the unibody and is very solid). I used 2 bottle jacks and hockey pucks, to protect the jacking point from the bottle jacks. Each jack was placed on the outside edge of the "X" (NOTE: do not use a jack on the "X" cross-bracing area as there is a gap between the cross bracing and jack point, if you do jack it here it will probably bend the cross bracing, hence why I went on each side of it with the bottle jacks).

I am not 100% sure if this spot is a correct jacking point for the car (I did notice Lethal also commented about using this spot), but this is how I lift my 5th gen as well and I heard no creaking or bending while using this jacking point.

I wish I had taken a picture of the spot while it was on the lift but you can see the bottle jacks in the background of the attached picture (red call out area). The lift has a rolling bridge bracket and I had to use 2x4's to get the bottle jacks higher otherwise they would not lift the car off the wheels completely. 2 bottle jacks were used for stability. If I go back to the shop later today I will put the car on and take a picture of where the bottle jacks were used.
I hope that helps, I regular floor jack might work better than the bottle jacks in that location, but because of the bridge bracket I don't have the option of using a floor jack.

With the car on all 4 jack stands, on the pinch welds, it is extremely solid. Its just kind of a PITA to get them up there. In the future I will be getting a bridge jack for the lift which will make it much easier to lift the car.
Attached Images

2012 Hennessey HPE600 Camaro Convertible Black, Inferno Orange Synergy stripes
2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS Convertible
Beast6162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #3
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
One of Sledgehammer's videos shows a way to lift the rear with a floor jack and a wood block. I think it's toward the end of the video about jacking points.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
JBinSD

Drives: '23 LT Vert M6'16 Hyper 2SS Vert MT
Sledge's rear-lift doesn't work for the verts because of the bracing (I think). I've used a floor jack on the pinch welds and jackstands on the cross-braces at the 2nd pinchweld attachment without issues. . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote