Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #1
DuoMaxwell007

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro 2LT
ZL1 1LE 2019 or 2020 question

Would it be wise to get the summer only tires permanently swapped out with some All Season tires (yes I know thatll hurt performance slightly but its not like youre gonna be on the track daily and Im sure even then its still gonna beat 95% of the cars the average person runs into on the streets on a daily basis (for example ive yet to ever see a lamborghini or Hellcat in the wild, just a buncha of camaros and mustangs and might see a Challenger once in awhile, so most of the cars on the street arent gonna be a threat).

But yeah if you live in a place that actually gets winter weather in winter is it wise to have a car with Summer only tires? I mean even with all season tires Im not driving a car, especially a RWD one on snow and ice anyway but I hear even if there is zero snow or ice, if youre in 20-30 degree weather, driving with coold summer tires is still a bad thing even if theres no snow or ice hazards on the road. So Id rather avoid that scenario entirely with all season tires is possible. Would anyone recommend that?
DuoMaxwell007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuoMaxwell007 View Post
Would it be wise to get the summer only tires permanently swapped out with some All Season tires (yes I know thatll hurt performance slightly but its not like youre gonna be on the track daily and Im sure even then its still gonna beat 95% of the cars the average person runs into on the streets on a daily basis (for example ive yet to ever see a lamborghini or Hellcat in the wild, just a buncha of camaros and mustangs and might see a Challenger once in awhile, so most of the cars on the street arent gonna be a threat).

But yeah if you live in a place that actually gets winter weather in winter is it wise to have a car with Summer only tires? I mean even with all season tires Im not driving a car, especially a RWD one on snow and ice anyway but I hear even if there is zero snow or ice, if youre in 20-30 degree weather, driving with coold summer tires is still a bad thing even if theres no snow or ice hazards on the road. So Id rather avoid that scenario entirely with all season tires is possible. Would anyone recommend that?
After owning the curent standard ZL1 you might want to consider the standard car as a much better driver (not in ultimate handling of course). If street driving is important you may enjoy the standard version more. Besides being more comfortable it is also a world class handler and more than a beginner track car. And yes if you want to drive it all year where there is ice and snow you will need winter not all season, tires narrower, but the same height as the stockers.

But I for sure would not do that. I'd use the $$ I would save buying the standard version to get a used AWD station wagon suv thing. And to go further I would buy the ZL1 lightly used and save enough to buy a new AWD daily driver.

Of course if you have $$ to burn lucky you.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
DuoMaxwell007

Well I DO want the standard ZL1 more as it comes in convertible and the 1le doesnt. But even not counting handling and cornered. In a straight up drag race isnt the 1le faster than the standard ZL1? Also I WOULDNT be driving it at all in ice pr snow I would be driving it in cold weather though and I hear 20 degree weather is bas for summer only tires driving even if there is NO ice or snow. Is that not true?
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Hey DuoMaxwell ... yes if your going to drive it primarily on the street you will want to swap those track tires out. Most are going with the Michelin PS4, still a summer tire but it will handle daily driving nicely year round and be more tolerable of the colder temps. Obviously you would still want to avoid snow and ice.

Send me a message when you get those swapped out. I am right down the road from you and would be happy to drop by and give you some cash for those track focused tires.
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
Hey DuoMaxwell ... yes if your going to drive it primarily on the street you will want to swap those track tires out. Most are going with the Michelin PS4, still a summer tire but it will handle daily driving nicely year round and be more tolerable of the colder temps. Obviously you would still want to avoid snow and ice.

Send me a message when you get those swapped out. I am right down the road from you and would be happy to drop by and give you some cash for those track focused tires.

How do you know you're right down the road from me? You been stalking me? Lol
Old 08-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
It says Nashville under your Avitar...

... and to answer your question the 1LE is slower than the regular ZL1 straight line. From everything you've mentioned so far you definitely don't want the 1LE version of the Z.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:16 PM   #7
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
It says Nashville under your Avitar...

... and to answer your question the 1LE is slower than the regular ZL1 straight line. From everything you've mentioned so far you definitely don't want the 1LE version of the Z.
You're correct if the 1le is slower straight line then I definitely do want the standard (plus I really DO want the last car I'm ever gonna buy to be a convertible soooo theres that too) if only it came in yellow like my 2017 SS oh well. Bright Red is my second choice so thatll do.

I figured the "wing" on the back of the 1LE (which standard doesnt have) would help downforce and thus make it slightly faster. But I also wondered who could see out of their rear view mirror without the use of their backup camera with that huge ass tail in the way too, lastly the standard version comes with options like an all side view dashcam(s) which the 1LE doesnt have. Sooooo standard it is, as long as I'm not on the track the standard is still good enough to handle most of the stuff you see on the street.

Also I know my profile says Nashville but he said right around the corner, Nashville is a pretty big city lol, and I see the same Black Camaro in my neighborhood and on the road everyday so I'm thinking "Naaahhh that cant be him? Even if I was how would he know it's me it's not like my car is posted on this site" lol
Old 08-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #8
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
I got PS4S for my SS, and I remember Michelin making some pretty strong statements about using those tires when it's under 40 - like, if it gets that chilly don't even move the car until it's been above 40 for 24 hours, or something like that.

Now, Pilot Sport A/S is another story.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
You're correct if the 1le is slower straight line then I definitely do want the standard (plus I really DO want the last car I'm ever gonna buy to be a convertible soooo theres that too) if only it came in yellow like my 2017 SS oh well. Bright Red is my second choice so thatll do.

I figured the "wing" on the back of the 1LE (which standard doesnt have) would help downforce and thus make it slightly faster. But I also wondered who could see out of their rear view mirror without the use of their backup camera with that huge ass tail in the way too, lastly the standard version comes with options like an all side view dashcam(s) which the 1LE doesnt have. Sooooo standard it is, as long as I'm not on the track the standard is still good enough to handle most of the stuff you see on the street.

Also I know my profile says Nashville but he said right around the corner, Nashville is a pretty big city lol, and I see the same Black Camaro in my neighborhood and on the road everyday so I'm thinking "Naaahhh that cant be him? Even if I was how would he know it's me it's not like my car is posted on this site" lol
The wing and dive planes creates drag so drag racers would take that off. Downforce keeps it planted for lateral G's on a road course.

It's not too bad out the back window, but sometimes you think someone is following you. Also, there is no rear cam on the 1LE so not even an option.

A "standard" ZL1 is crazy track capable so take advantage if you get the opportunity. My comments were mainly based on your intent to hit the streets as the 1LE suspension is super stiff and depending on road conditions where you live could be an issue.

And when you're talking about going to pick up tires "around the corner" is as close as the next city. Shipping tires is expensive. Since you're going regular Z you won't have to worry about the 3R 100 treadwear tires either.

Check in with BeckyD on this site and she can definitely help you find the right ZL1 Vert.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Looks like the closest yellow ZL1 convertible to Nashville is 273miles away from you in Creve Coeur, MO...

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Looks like the closest yellow ZL1 convertible to Nashville is 273miles away from you in Creve Coeur, MO...

That's not Yellow that more like neon green or as the call it on the chevy site when you're building your car. That color is called "Shock"

The 2017 ZL1 convertible does come in bright yellow but I don't see any on the 2019 or 2020
Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
DuoMaxwell007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

That's not Yellow that more like neon green or as the call it on the chevy site when you're building your car. That color is called "Shock"

The 2017 ZL1 convertible does come in bright yellow but I don't see any on the 2019 or 2020

I dont even wanna know what a ZL1 full coverage insurance is like lol my current Camaro is only 109. I'm betting ZL1 is 200+ lol
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Quote:
Quote:
It says Nashville under your Avitar...:iono
Quote:
And when you're talking about going to pick up tires "around the corner" is as close as the next city. Shipping tires is expensive.
lol, all of the above... I am in Knoxville
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
The "Summer Only" tires that come on these cars are not safe for the road under 40 degrees. It's like driving in the rain on a bad tire. Any blip on the throttle will cause your tires to spin immediately. Then again, and all season tire will spin pretty easily on a 650hp car .
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote