Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
zts1986
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT 2.0T
The next thing for me to learn is what the hell a wheel offset means. Stock wheels have an offset of 32mm. Not exactly sure what that means, and what happens when you change offset. I'm guessing maybe the center of the wheel from the center of the hub? and the greater the positive offset the further the center of the wheel gets from the hub? Meaning a wider stance.

In my mind, when you start playing around with offset you change the balance of the car and may want to look into suspension setup.

Then again, I cant really see a 3mm change in offset (32mm to 35mm) doing much of anything.

Last edited by zts1986; 08-23-2019 at 09:03 AM.
zts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:01 PM   #16
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Hi zts and wook,

I enjoy reading your post and learning from you guys and the rest of the modification group. Purchased the Camaro 1LS for the purpose of autocrossing the car in street class. But when I get bored of street class (and learn to drive the car to it's potential) going to move to CAM-C and at that point mod the car. So I'm taking notes and learning from the forums, appreciate all of the dialog.

My mods in DS are
Hellwig HEL-55726 front bar
Track Alignment - maximizing the front camber in the struts
Track Wheels - C4 TRMOTORSPORT 18x8.5 et30 lightest wheels for the money
and Brigestone RE71r 275/35 it's pinched wouldn't run a street tire that wide but the stiff sidewalls on the stones can handle it. Lots of fender gap being 2" shorter that stock
Name:  02-09-19 Darington TNT First on Time Track croped.jpg
Views: 958
Size:  385.0 KB

Name:  02-09-19 Darington TNT with Mopar.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  440.4 KB

Cheers, Eric
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #17
JayRow52

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LS 2.0T
The offset is the distance from the wheel hub mounting surface to the wheel centerline. A smaller number means the outer wheel edge sits further out. In switching from a 32 offset to 22 like wook is doing, you're effectively widening the front track width by 20mm by pushing the wheel centerlines outwards on each side by 10mm (the 1LE package does this).

As for your next mods, I'd go suspension and brakes to match a new wheel/tire combo. The LT's FE3 1LE setup can be pieced together pretty cheap by grabbing stock SS takeoffs. The difference between the stock FE2 versus the upgraded FE3 was night and day. Handling, acceleration, braking, everything was improved. I'd hold off on the brakes until after new tires. It's way too easy to exceed the all-season's grip threshold and engage ABS with the upgraded rotors and Brembos.

If you plan on tracking at a road course I'd upgrade your manual trans fluid too. I hit 280/290* pretty regularly on track during the summer.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #18
JayRow52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Wheels aren't in yet...

I opted to go with Arc-8 compatible version, because I am "trying" to prevent tramlining with 9.5 inch setup as opposed to the 10's you will find for apex's direct fitment.

275/40zr 19 on 9.5 rims x 19' @ 22 ET square 4. I have the oem LS 18s' so it should be 1/8 inch inbound and 7/8 outbound. exact same heigt/dia. They will prbably just square with the front fender. But- these are more square of a profile so it will appear aggressive. OK pop quiz.... as ANYBODY ever paid $114 each for gm TPMS????? I stopped at the dealer figured to save a few mouse clicks... learned my lesson..... I will circle back to apex, for adapter rings and tpms. their website was having problems. I bought from bimmer world for free shipping... Yes same bolt up as bmw.

the nittos came in at $150 each with a flash sale at discounttiredirect.com

heres what I used to research.. https://www.wheel-size.com

will post when they are on.
Keep us updated on those wheels and tires, wook. I'm planning on switching to a staggered set of Arc-8's first thing in the spring (these all-season's should be thoroughly destroyed by then ) I'm interested to see if your back wheels poke out at all with the 22 offset rear. I'm leaning towards the 19x9.5 et33 offset for the rear on mine.

Any specific reason you decided to go with a square setup vs. staggered like our 1LE uses? Just the convenience of rotating?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #19
zts1986
Account Suspended

Great inputs, guys.

Upgrading to the FE3 suspension is absolutely on my radar, among with wheels and tires. But I’ll be waiting for spring 2020, so plenty of time to learn.

Wook going square has to be for rotation purposes. Will stretch the lifespan of that set of tires. I can’t wait to see a pic of the setup.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #20
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I will update as soon when they are on. Its going to be a matter of where the shoulder of the tire appears, the tire profile I really didn't account for. I have get the weight difference vs the stock 18's also . Its good to see the posts!
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #21
wookwook

Im on the fence about the fronts they are out about 1/4 inch from the fender, but that is Exactly what the SS LT1 track package has... super track aggressive stance.

Name:  frt.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  88.8 KB

The rear is arguably perfect. But to each his own.. The top is inward of the fender, and the bottom is juussst a bit out due to camber..

Name:  rear.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  frt1.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  side 1.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  239.0 KB

I may contact the seller about a swap for 33 ET down from 22 ET for the front and see..

Clearly I need to look about lowering solutions too.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
zts1986
Account Suspended

Those are some nice looking wheels. I want them in a bronze/gold.

Let us know how it changes the feel/handling of the car!
Old 08-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #23
wookwook

"Bubbles" is my blue F150 peeking in the frame says "hi". Has a 5 star tune via bullydog for 89 oct. he's about 30K old now. Good stuff.

Yeah I know that car writing isn't my thing, lol. too much of a gear head for it. I will do my best. ZTS Your car would carry the Bronze well I think.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:12 PM   #24
zts1986
Account Suspended

I’m settling in on the plan.

-245/45R19s on 8.5x19 wheels in front
-275/40/19s on 9.5/10x19 wheels in back
-upgrade to FE3 (SS) suspension

Let’s find a way to put the added power down to the ground properly.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:02 PM   #25
JayRow52

Those look great, wook! Did you get the track alignment done too? If you’re worried about the front poking out you could always look at adding the C7 Z06 front fender trim. A few others on the forum have done that when going wider on the SS.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 AM   #26
wookwook

Is there is a pointer to the alignment specs somehwere I wonder?

some review-

good to know. I spent a couple days with just the front tire on. Its growing on me. I kind of like the muscular look, this car pulls it off well. I've looked over the tire section here and many have this strange looking anti concave angle on the tire walls. So the rims are the same, but the tires are upsidedown snowconed shape.

I know I can just get 33 ET further own the road, or get another model tire with a middle width section and not at the surface like these nittos have...shim it back out if needed. I think it compliments the body wedge pretty well. I think a set if -.6/-.9 eibach springs should work fine.

If your going with the 72mm hub you *must* add the hub ring.

So far interestingly the car still tracks perfectly straight and already has a noticable improvment on corners.... Also NO tramlining at this point so far.

I fast tracked the rest of the kit and hopfully its all on this weekend.

going the camaro compatible route?, find a bmw reseller that ships free. Also most the APEX product line is on back order. (Just in time for holiday shopping?)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #27
JayRow52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
Is there is a pointer to the alignment specs somehwere I wonder?
Here's the link to the track prep guide. Worth a read before an autoX or track session: chevrolet-camaro-track-preparation-guide.pdf
The track alignment solved all of my problems with rolling over onto the sidewall, even on the stock all-seasons. If you're going to get the rear toe adjusted, the bolts are torque-to-yield. I'd recommend ordering your own beforehand (covered here: camaro6.com/alignment bolt thread)
Old 08-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #28
wookwook

JAY- definitly on my reading list thank you very much!

ZTS-
"My first idea is the cold air pipe from the air box to the intake. From there, maybe an upgraded intercooler, but I'm really torn on that. If I'm not regularly tracking it, is that really all that beneficial?"

For normal use I guess it is what it is, a marginal IC system for the average Daily Driver.

But to give you some perspective-
As my logging skills are getting better, I found that my Knock Reduction is coming from IAT timing reduction. IAT around 150F is cutting timing, is causing the KR pid events. I would really love to figure out if and what a cold water IC would do.

OK getting a little out there, but I have a hot air source in my pellet stove exhaust vent. Setup a lab to understand heat transfer with some after market water systems? Good for snow day project, lol.

I still cant quite understand that the IC is sandwiched between the radiator and AC condensor coil. I do know it takes a good amount of air flowing before IATs comes down towards ambient from track logging. like 1/4 mile at WOT worth.

"If the car is shark inspired, and it can only breath if its swimming, I guess the designers where having a field day on this one." wook.

Basically, avoid any standing stop tests like 0-60 from any kind of stop start commute if you want to keep the heat from affecting the performance. Definitly NOT a benefit while in lane staging 5 cars in front of you at the strip while watching burn outs on an 80 degree day. Heat soak is a real factor with the car.

W.