Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions


Gen5DIY


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #43
FringBirdAloha
 
Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Sunbelt
Posts: 528
Guys please. This generation, if it gets any new engine, it will be the LT5. Period.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:58 AM   #44
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Aren't DOHC also much wider than OHV engines of the same displacement?
Generally speaking, they are taller and wider.
__________________
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #45
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: To many to list
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 15,542
I have the file for the MM sb4 its based on the ls7 block, with there DOHC the with is 30.30" at the widest and that's at the valve covers.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #46
Vintage
 
Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Austin
Posts: 266
I own a 2016 SS 1LE and just tracked it at COTA this weekend (#87 and silver for anyone that was out there in the Advanced group getting passed by a Camaro). After a year of tracking the car, it still blows me away at how well it handles. It punches way above its weight class for the $ and is an absolute blast around town and on long weekend drives. As a former BMW, Porsche 911S and GT4 owner, and, yes, 2016 Viper ACR-X owner - I am sold on Chevy's/Al's 6 Gen Camaro. The Viper is being sold. Its hard to compete with performance tires that only cost $1,300 for a set of four and $280 front brake pads!!! The Camaro is so cheap to run, what an added bonus

So, if Big Al is in charge of a new Z/28, take my money now. Especially if it goes on a big diet via aluminum doors, hood, trunk and roof!
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #47
lt4camaro

 
Drives: 2016 1lt v6 manual
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
In the old days they where wider, think in the old days valves where at 23 degrees and now there 1/2 that so the head is not as wide as in the past.
True, but a DOHC design is quite a bit wider (up top) than a 2 valve pushrod design.
lt4camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #48
Badgerbimmer
 
Badgerbimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 A10
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
I posted this link in another thread and it seems they have been talking about this LT-6 idea for more than a year now. My money is on a 5.5 LT-6 with 700 HP and of course NA.
I don't think so
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #49
oldman


 
Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: austin
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
It will fit with no problem....if a 90 degree DOHC 4.2 or 5.5 will fit then a 6.2 will fit since cubic inches has nothing to do with external dimensions of the V8 engines.
Agree it is the type of head:
Ford had to do a spray bore to get a slightly bigger 5.0 liter. You can stroke an engine so much before piston speed and cylinder wear become an issue, piston rock too. DOHC is big, just open a Mustang hood. We already know the spay bore is bigger externally at 5.0 internally. The LT1 can go to 427 OEM. I say Ford's GT40 already has gone to V6 DOHC, I can't see GM needing both DOHC and turbos... It does NOT add up to me. Plus the ZR1 would seem to be faster than the GT40. Once again what market will a mid engine DOHC Vette capture over its current market, to my mind nothing. The Vette would LOSE market share if it went DOHC and or mid-engine and or turbo. IMO of course.
__________________
2016 to 2017 Stage 1, FBO, ported MSD, 103 TB, E85

2018 Stage 2, P1C, 4.0 pulley, Pray ported heads, Pray stage 1 blower cam, TxSpeed valvetrain, 103mm TB, ported MSD, 1 and 7/8 headers

2019 stage 3: Forged short block 11.5 CR, "defined lope" supercharger cam 33% fuel lobe from Cam Motion, Pray Ported Heads, 3.65 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, 2 BOVs, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0, Kooks 2" coated, Lingenfelter injectors, ZL1 driveshaft and half shafts, wrap starter and header, MSD intake, 103 MM TB, BTR valvetrain.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:55 PM   #50
oldman


 
Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: austin
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
I have the file for the MM sb4 its based on the ls7 block, with there DOHC the with is 30.30" at the widest and that's at the valve covers.
I find it hard to believe that a DOHC head is near the same size as a OHV. One of the problems with the 4.6 Ford was the port was low and did not flow well, the fix was to raise the port which increased head size, as in the design the cams sit above the valve which sit above the port. It is much easier to get increase port flow with OHV by raising the port.
__________________
2016 to 2017 Stage 1, FBO, ported MSD, 103 TB, E85

2018 Stage 2, P1C, 4.0 pulley, Pray ported heads, Pray stage 1 blower cam, TxSpeed valvetrain, 103mm TB, ported MSD, 1 and 7/8 headers

2019 stage 3: Forged short block 11.5 CR, "defined lope" supercharger cam 33% fuel lobe from Cam Motion, Pray Ported Heads, 3.65 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, 2 BOVs, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0, Kooks 2" coated, Lingenfelter injectors, ZL1 driveshaft and half shafts, wrap starter and header, MSD intake, 103 MM TB, BTR valvetrain.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #51
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Agree it is the type of head:
Ford had to do a spray bore to get a slightly bigger 5.0 liter. You can stroke an engine so much before piston speed and cylinder wear become an issue, piston rock too. DOHC is big, just open a Mustang hood. We already know the spay bore is bigger externally at 5.0 internally. The LT1 can go to 427 OEM. I say Ford's GT40 already has gone to V6 DOHC, I can't see GM needing both DOHC and turbos... It does NOT add up to me. Plus the ZR1 would seem to be faster than the GT40. Once again what market will a mid engine DOHC Vette capture over its current market, to my mind nothing. The Vette would LOSE market share if it went DOHC and or mid-engine and or turbo. IMO of course.
All depends on the price.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #52
oldman


 
Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: austin
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
All depends on the price.
yep and twin turbo, mid engine, and / or DOHC are all pricey. Mean while a plain RWD, front engine OHV Vetter seems to be doing better than a GT40.
__________________
2016 to 2017 Stage 1, FBO, ported MSD, 103 TB, E85

2018 Stage 2, P1C, 4.0 pulley, Pray ported heads, Pray stage 1 blower cam, TxSpeed valvetrain, 103mm TB, ported MSD, 1 and 7/8 headers

2019 stage 3: Forged short block 11.5 CR, "defined lope" supercharger cam 33% fuel lobe from Cam Motion, Pray Ported Heads, 3.65 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, 2 BOVs, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0, Kooks 2" coated, Lingenfelter injectors, ZL1 driveshaft and half shafts, wrap starter and header, MSD intake, 103 MM TB, BTR valvetrain.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #53
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: To many to list
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 15,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I find it hard to believe that a DOHC head is near the same size as a OHV. One of the problems with the 4.6 Ford was the port was low and did not flow well, the fix was to raise the port which increased head size, as in the design the cams sit above the valve which sit above the port. It is much easier to get increase port flow with OHV by raising the port.
its not hard to believe if you have the info in front of you, here is the PDF with size info for you, this is thw SB4 a 7.0Lt with DOHC.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Installation Drawing SB4 8m0098774_rev14_20oct2016.pdf (11.44 MB, 108 views)
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:36 PM   #54
GrimReaperSS
 
Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Sussex, Wi
Posts: 490
Since the LT1 development started in '06, you'd have to think that there have been developments since then to produce more power or better economy, or any combination of both. Of that, we havent seen any of those potential developments yet. By this, I mean in an NA configuration. I'd like to think that in the last 12 years, there has been enough new technology to come out that would benefit this engine. Also, with the change in administration, have any of the emission regulations been "toned down"/"loosened up"? Were there certain regulations that this engine had to meet during development, that either no longer exist or have been altered in a way that will favor the enthusiast side. Could it be possible to have an NA engine in the 600+ (not saying that's what I'm looking for) range in todays world where ot couldn't have a decade ago?
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #55
RedonBlackRS
 
Drives: 1LT RS 2.0T 8A HD
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaperSS View Post
Since the LT1 development started in '06, you'd have to think that there have been developments since then to produce more power or better economy, or any combination of both. Of that, we havent seen any of those potential developments yet. By this, I mean in an NA configuration. I'd like to think that in the last 12 years, there has been enough new technology to come out that would benefit this engine. Also, with the change in administration, have any of the emission regulations been "toned down"/"loosened up"? Were there certain regulations that this engine had to meet during development, that either no longer exist or have been altered in a way that will favor the enthusiast side. Could it be possible to have an NA engine in the 600+ (not saying that's what I'm looking for) range in todays world where ot couldn't have a decade ago?
This might be solved by the LT5's dual injection system. It seems like that's another one of these technologies that will extend the life of the ICE by helping power, economy, emissions, keeping the engine cleaner, etc... Lamborghini is using it, Ford is using it, and I'm sure it'll spread out in the next couple years within GM and elsewhere.

It would make sense to add port injection to the LT1 (and LGX and LTG), maybe some intake/exhaust changes and GM will call it an LT2 or something with 485 hp/tq... But as far as a Z/28 is concerned, maybe dual injection would open the door for the cancelled LS7 successor to meet emissions and power standards.
RedonBlackRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #56
oldman


 
Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: austin
Posts: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
its not hard to believe if you have the info in front of you, here is the PDF with size info for you, this is thw SB4 a 7.0Lt with DOHC.
port looks very high and close to the cam, I like it, the same way Yamaha heads have been forever. For me, the engine looks like a hot mess, 3/4 of my hobby is working on stuff, so I guess good luck, enjoy the 1000 HP, I'm thinking of a 440 Dart with modern suspension and a 6 pack (real carbs) once again. Never did like wallet warriors, and I guess it was inevitable with muscle cars too.

This engine off the cuff looks to be 2" longer, 3/4" taller and about 3" wider than a LS / LT1. bout. It does say 7.0 liters so it will be a BIG DOHC engine internally.
__________________
2016 to 2017 Stage 1, FBO, ported MSD, 103 TB, E85

2018 Stage 2, P1C, 4.0 pulley, Pray ported heads, Pray stage 1 blower cam, TxSpeed valvetrain, 103mm TB, ported MSD, 1 and 7/8 headers

2019 stage 3: Forged short block 11.5 CR, "defined lope" supercharger cam 33% fuel lobe from Cam Motion, Pray Ported Heads, 3.65 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, 2 BOVs, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0, Kooks 2" coated, Lingenfelter injectors, ZL1 driveshaft and half shafts, wrap starter and header, MSD intake, 103 MM TB, BTR valvetrain.

Last edited by oldman; 02-04-2018 at 10:31 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.