Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I have full video of it with mph as well, but I am afraid to see I was going faster than I thought. Haven't reviewed it yet.

Dam Bro you just blew through that water like you were driving on a dry road
Old 06-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #16
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
I wonder if the water hit the mas air flow sensor and freaked it out so that shut it down. I would get some MAF cleaner spray and clean it while you have the throttle body off.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:27 AM   #17
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You should IMO buy a cheap remote viewing camera,( like Harbor Freight) if your that worried and look in the cylinders, use a vacuum hose attachment and drying agent etc......and get the water out you can, other than that any excess water in the intake tract will when mixed with gas clean your engine..and a oil change would be recommended ASAP.

Have not heard about hydrolocks since the beginning when guys were buying these stupid Injun intake tubes that scooped air off the road and a couple folks in Cal where they don't have good drainage on the road trashed their engines.....Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
So, bad news.

Got her reassembled today. I could tell as soon as I tried cranking the engine. Shes done for. Very slow to crank and can hear what sounds like the valves banging every few turns.

I will disassemble again tomorrow and remove the heads this time. I am praying that is just on the top end, but by the sound of it, I doubt it. I have a feeling a rod bent or maybe cracked a piston or two. It cranked a bit slow when the plugs were out, and all the rockers seemed to move as they should. But once it tried making compression...well.

I am devastated here. It is worse when you only have yourself to blame. I have never apologized so much to an inanimate object.

Once I get the heads off and see the damage, I will update the thread again.

Thanks for the help and support guys.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #19
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Man, that’s tough to read. The inanimate object thing really hit home because most all of us feel that way here. Like it has a soul or something. Of course, it does not, so new parts and maybe a killer rebuild will be your best homage and apology.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:14 PM   #20
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Man, that’s tough to read. The inanimate object thing really hit home because most all of us feel that way here. Like it has a soul or something. Of course, it does not, so new parts and maybe a killer rebuild will be your best homage and apology.
Speak for your self, Blue talks to me all the time! Haha! Sorry to hear the bad news I hope you can get by with a set of heads.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #21
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Help. Possible hydrolock...I am a mess

That’s a really bummer to hear about. If you’re long term on this car, now may be a good time to build a killer motor for it. Do you have a spare car you can cruise around in for awhile?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:05 PM   #22
Tony-8

Drives: 2014 Camaro RRM 2SS RS, M6 LS3 Vert
Man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I completely understand how you feel, but don't beat yourself up - I would not have read that puddle correctly either. Nothing has happened that can't be fixed, so mourn the parts, but know the car will ultimately be fine.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #23
Tpimike

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS RRM Convertible
I’ve had this happen, 1990 Trans Am. Did you drain the oil? It will probably be full of water. I’m my case insurance didn’t cover anything. After the fact the dealer told me that trying to start the engine before draining the oil was the kiss of death.
Tpimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:36 PM   #24
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpimike View Post
I’ve had this happen, 1990 Trans Am. Did you drain the oil? It will probably be full of water. I’m my case insurance didn’t cover anything. After the fact the dealer told me that trying to start the engine before draining the oil was the kiss of death.
Yes, I have done just about everything the fine gents above told me to do, aside from a compression test.
When I take the heads off tomorrow it will hopefully tell the story.

I am hoping the slow cranking is from a bent valve or 2. I have never wished so much for valve train damage.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 06-30-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:40 PM   #25
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
From your first video, the engine seems to be turning pretty slow with no plugs in. I can also hear something clunking every now and then. Maybe a bent rod? Weird though no water came out of the plug holes.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:51 PM   #26
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
From your first video, the engine seems to be turning pretty slow with no plugs in. I can also hear something clunking every now and then. Maybe a bent rod? Weird though no water came out of the plug holes.
Yea man, I agree. It seemed too slow for no plugs. Without plugs/compression it will usually spin a lot faster. Man I hope its not a rod.

Only 2 plugs had any moisture on them. I had to really shake them to get a tiny drop of water in my hand. I don't know. I wanted to take the heads off today so at least I know where I stand, but I am just so exhausted from this.

The weight of the water actually broke my lower grill too. My splitter is fine, but the bottom row of the vertical 'fins' on the grill snapped when the bumper cover got weighed down. Amazon has them brand new with Prime shipping for $57.00 OEM. But honestly, I don't even care about that right now.

Been pricing new/used engines. May have to live on Ramen noodles for a while lol.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #27
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Yea man, I agree. It seemed too slow for no plugs. Without plugs/compression it will usually spin a lot faster. Man I hope its not a rod.

Only 2 plugs had any moisture on them. I had to really shake them to get a tiny drop of water in my hand. I don't know. I wanted to take the heads off today so at least I know where I stand, but I am just so exhausted from this.

The weight of the water actually broke my lower grill too. My splitter is fine, but the bottom row of the vertical 'fins' on the grill snapped when the bumper cover got weighed down. Amazon has them brand new with Prime shipping for $57.00 OEM. But honestly, I don't even care about that right now.

Been pricing new/used engines. May have to live on Ramen noodles for a while lol.
Man sure am sorry about all this. I'm really hoping that you'll get it figured out and it's not near as bad as it seems right now.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:09 AM   #28
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
It doesn't make sense. No water in oil and none in cylinders,how could it hydro lock? Maybe the starter didn't like the bath?....I'm always the optimist