Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #15
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerAS View Post
But not all curb rashes happen from parking. Sometimes lanes narrow and you can't move over if a car is in the left lane.
I can say in all of my years of driving I have never encountered something like this.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #16
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I have to say that most drive thru's in my area (NYC) have the most screwed up paths ways to go through to get your dam food, If you don't cut the wheel just right then the good ol' curb rash will be inevitable. There are a number of places that can fix them in my area for more or less under $200, look around a bit you should have some luck...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
ParkerAS

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I can say in all of my years of driving I have never encountered something like this.
You have never a.) seen a road get narrower, or b.) someone or yourself get too close to the side of the road and ride the curb?
Delivered: 4/4/16
ParkerAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
kcpoloman

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
When its happened to me its usually a drive through of some kind. Last one that got me was an ATM. Think Im just going into the bank to make withdrawals with this car.
kcpoloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #19
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpoloman View Post
When its happened to me its usually a drive through of some kind. Last one that got me was an ATM. Think Im just going into the bank to make withdrawals with this car.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea and is what I used to do.

You should be able to asses any situation for risk, and I just don't take any risks. Little conveniences like drive-thrus are not worth it.

As for the post about lanes narrowing or ending etc, you just gotta pay closer attention. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Being at the end of a ending lane fighting with the car next to you to get over is a mistake. Drive defensively.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yeah, I think that's a good idea and is what I used to do.

You should be able to asses any situation for risk, and I just don't take any risks. Little conveniences like drive-thrus are not worth it.

As for the post about lanes narrowing or ending etc, you just gotta pay closer attention. Nothing like that has ever happened to me.

Being at the end of a ending lane fighting with the car next to you to get over is a mistake. Drive defensively.
I concur with this ...have not scratched a wheel in 15 years,and I drive 15K a year. You gotta be diligent and watch for all the places you MIGHT scratch. Also, when a car is new to me, I set up one liter coke bottles and see how close I can get in a parking lot to give me a "fender view perspective"...

one great tip given to me, if you are in any type of ATM banking lane, never turn your wheels until your ass end has cleared the lane by a car length..if possible...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerAS View Post
You have never a.) seen a road get narrower, or b.) someone or yourself get too close to the side of the road and ride the curb?
I've never been driving down the road and had the lane narrow on me to the point that my lane is more narrow than my car and there is someone in the lane to my left which causes me to ride the curb. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the scenario.

Last edited by Eric SS; 02-05-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #22
keon718nyc

Drives: Challenger SP Shaker/Arcadia Denali
I must have scuffed up at least 3 different cars i owned rims in the past. Here where i live parallel parking is a daily thing. Some sidewalk curbs are totally uneven and even with the mirror adjusting down to reverse shit just happens no matter if i am trying to be careful. I baby my cars and take good care of them. I lived in Florida for 10 years and never scuffed a rim on a curb but some times here if you dont park close to the curb you may just loose a mirror from someone driving by these narrow streets. I see it all the time and guess that what throws people like myself off...
keon718nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I concur with this ...have not scratched a wheel in 15 years,and I drive 15K a year. You gotta be diligent and watch for all the places you MIGHT scratch. Also, when a car is new to me, I set up one liter coke bottles and see how close I can get in a parking lot to give me a "fender view perspective"...

one great tip given to me, if you are in any type of ATM banking lane, never turn your wheels until your ass end has cleared the lane by a car length..if possible...
Damn Glen goes HARD.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #24
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
im not the only one that drives my car, all that goes out the window.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #25
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Try finger nail polish
Old 02-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
I purposely avoid curb rashing everytine i drive and barely ever curb my wheel.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #27
ScratchAce

Drives: 2SS - Hyper Blue/Ceramic White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
im not the only one that drives my car, all that goes out the window.
+1 to that! My wife often dings her wheels.

ScratchAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #28
cuspid

Drives: 04 z06 yellow
cuspid is offline   Reply With Quote