Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2022, 12:12 PM   #29
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
Summer tires are good below freezing if it's dry.
I guess "good" is technically a subjective term.
My experience with the stock summer run-flats on the SS was more in line with "atrocious" in temps below 40.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:42 PM   #30
mariojas

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6 & 2023 Stinger GT AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
My experience with the stock summer run-flats on the SS was more in line with "atrocious" in temps below 40.
Well. It will depends on the tire itself. Here, so I am not taking it from the thin air.
last test is on dry 9:52 overall comparison for tires, at braking distance, on dry. But that is the only case where summer tire is better. Winter is rarely dry, so don't run summer tires in winter.

Charger sold! Better to sell, than waiting to be stolen...
mariojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #31
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
My experience with run flat all season was atrocious all the time.I live near Dublin ga. and have only used summers for over 10 years except when on car when I bought it.No problems.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #32
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
Well. It will depends on the tire itself.
Agree. I will give you that.
Running summer compound in winter means an already hard compound will be harder. That's the compound itself.
With run-flats you have the added complication of stiff sidewall construction, which makes the tire more likely to break traction, particularly with lateral forces (e.g. turning).
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:35 PM   #33
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALC View Post
On my last post I asked about the Goodyear f1 super car tires. After I made the post i realized that they are summer only tires. When I end up getting the car I would want all season tires. What is a good all season tires that have similar performance to the Goodyears and last ~12k miles? I’m thinking the continental extreme contact DWS 06 but I don’t know if the performance is similar to the Goodyear f1s and I don’t know how long they last. Also this would be on the 1LE so I would have the bigger tires.
OP why not just buy an LT1 takeoff tire/wheel set? While they are not really comparable to the SS tires. They do stick a little and are a good handling tire. Also as the LT1 tire wheel set up is lighter than the SS setup and the steering feels more responsive. And your SS will be a little faster. Reducing un-sprung weight is a good thing.

But (!) never do a 1-2 NLS with a M6 with the TC off. Bad things can happen.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #34
Casper the friendly G
Account Suspended

Drives: 17' Chevy Kamaro SS 6 speed
I drove on my original runflats in the winter to well below the wear bars. It was all quite fun and enjoyable spinning my tires at way less than half throttle between banging gears.
Casper the friendly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:26 AM   #35
TexasChile

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Paul View Post
If I was concerned about tire life, I would just get the LT1.
Why get the SS 1LE option if you're not going to push it?
Lots of folks buy performance cars and never drive them any different than how they drive a family car (other than an occasional goose of the throttle, etc.). I am getting a 2022 1SS 1LE and I doubt I drive the car as it was intended to be driven. And I am looking to replace the tires on day 1.

If I could have ordered a new car, I probably would have ordered a plain 1SS M6 without the 1LE package to save the cash and I don't need the 1LE package. However, all the 1SS cars I found in transit to dealers were optioned with the A10 which was a deal killer for me and they were also optioned with silly things that ran the price up close the 1LE package optioned cars available. May as well get the 1LE if I am going to pay the same price.

"I've been there and done that" with all the performance driving "back in the day". Now it is about reliving a little of my youth "without actually inhaling" and having the cops chasing me. To each his own.

And if I want to do some serious performance driving, I will get an extra set of wheels and put track only tires on them and use them only on a track. All these folks on here stating that it is wrong to put A/S tires on a 1LE probably don't get that it is just as wrong to put the factory tire on the car because it is also a huge compromise - does not work on the street well or the track well (as good as track only tires). The moral of the story is all tires are a compromise.

Last edited by TexasChile; 05-01-2022 at 09:37 AM.
TexasChile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #36
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChile View Post
Lots of folks buy performance cars and never drive them any different than how they drive a family car (other than an occasional goose of the throttle, etc.). I am getting a 2022 1SS 1LE and I doubt I drive the car as it was intended to be driven. And I am looking to replace the tires on day 1.

If I could have ordered a new car, I probably would have ordered a plain 1SS M6 without the 1LE package to save the cash and I don't need the 1LE package. However, all the 1SS cars I found in transit to dealers were optioned with the A10 which was a deal killer for me and they were also optioned with silly things that ran the price up close the 1LE package optioned cars available. May as well get the 1LE if I am going to pay the same price.

"I've been there and done that" with all the performance driving "back in the day". Now it is about reliving a little of my youth "without actually inhaling" and having the cops chasing me. To each his own.

And if I want to do some serious performance driving, I will get an extra set of wheels and put track only tires on them and use them only on a track. All these folks on here stating that it is wrong to put A/S tires on a 1LE probably don't get that it is just as wrong to put the factory tire on the car because it is also a huge compromise - does not work on the street well or the track well (as good as track only tires). The moral of the story is all tires are a compromise.
You live in San Antonio. You don't need all-seasons. You need a great "three-season" tire. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are your friends. In the dry and warm they will give up suprisingly little grip to the OE Goodyears. They are better in the rain than any all-season tire. Any. They are fine down to 20F at least. They are only bad for snow or ice, which won't be a thing for you.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #37
TexasChile

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
You live in San Antonio. You don't need all-seasons. You need a great "three-season" tire. The Continental ExtremeContact Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are your friends. In the dry and warm they will give up suprisingly little grip to the OE Goodyears. They are better in the rain than any all-season tire. Any. They are fine down to 20F at least. They are only bad for snow or ice, which won't be a thing for you.
I am looking into those over A/S. Thanks
TexasChile is offline   Reply With Quote