#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #15
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Muscle View Post
I agree with using OEM over an unproved aftermarket option.

That said, I do want to point out that GM changes part numbers on parts all the time. A part number change does not mean the part was revised. The 6 part number changes on the pump doesn't mean it went through some physical revision change each time. I think that's somewhat of a misconception.
Calling Katech an “unproven aftermarket option” is a stretch IMO. They have a tight connection with GM and wring out factory race cars all the time. If they took the time to develop a new product, it wasn’t because the OEM one was fine. Katech is far from perfect, but in terms of OEM level product development, they are damn good. I have their AFM delete valley cover, their VVT delete timing cover and their OEM grade 160 thermostat and they have all been flawless.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #16
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Be wary of Katech! That is all I am going to say.
Kong Ported SC, 2.3 Grip Tec, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, NW103 TB, Mighty Mouse CC, ADM Expansion Tank, ARH 1 7/8 Headers, Catless 3" X-Pipe, Corsa Extreme, Eibach Springs, BMR Cradle Lockout, BMR Trailing/Control arms.
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #17
DFW_Muscle

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Calling Katech an “unproven aftermarket option” is a stretch IMO. They have a tight connection with GM and wring out factory race cars all the time. If they took the time to develop a new product, it wasn’t because the OEM one was fine. Katech is far from perfect, but in terms of OEM level product development, they are damn good. I have their AFM delete valley cover, their VVT delete timing cover and their OEM grade 160 thermostat and they have all been flawless.
Not to argue the point...but...

So you have a thermostat and some plates that get spit out of a CNC at Katech...so a brand new oil pump design will undoubtedly be superior?

Let's use your logic a different way:

Katech is making a new version of a part that GM/Melling has been producing for many years. Said part is designed, tested and audited with a budget that relatively speaking, is infinitely larger than Katech's. Yet, the GM pump has has some issues in the past. But because Katech has "a tight connection with GM"...their pump will be superior to the current OEM one. Furthermore, one shouldn't question it (yet, we literally know nothing about it other than they have been saying for over a year they are working on a wet sump LT4 pump)?

I have a hard time with your logic. I have nothing bad to say about Katech...I used to live a few minutes from their shop and I too like their parts...but come on!
DFW_Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #18
Joshinator99

Quote:

So you have a thermostat and some plates that get spit out of a CNC at Katech...so a brand new oil pump design will undoubtedly be superior?

Katech is making a new version of a part that GM/Melling has been producing for many years. Said part is designed, tested and audited with a budget that relatively speaking, is infinitely larger than Katech's. Yet, the GM pump has has some issues in the past. But because Katech has "a tight connection with GM"...their pump will be superior to the current OEM one. Furthermore, one shouldn't question it (yet, we literally know nothing about it other than they have been saying for over a year they are working on a wet sump LT4 pump)?

I have a hard time with your logic. I have nothing bad to say about Katech...I used to live a few minutes from their shop and I too like their parts...but come on!
So, then to use your logic: all OEM parts are superior to small companies because they have a bigger budget...? In that case, you’re using all stock parts in your build?

A small, hardcore, company can use materials that are superior (but too expensive) for standard production. The new parts can be engineered for the kind of use and environment that racers and enthusiasts will put it through, as opposed to cheap production pieces that are designed for quiet operation, ease of factory assembly, etc.

Guess there’s always a few different ways of looking at this.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Is the assumption that the Katech pump will be hand assembled and “blueprinted” with tighter tolerances vs the mass produced OEM pump?
Old 09-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
So, then to use your logic: all OEM parts are superior to small companies because they have a bigger budget...? In that case, you’re using all stock parts in your build?

A small, hardcore, company can use materials that are superior (but too expensive) for standard production. The new parts can be engineered for the kind of use and environment that racers and enthusiasts will put it through, as opposed to cheap production pieces that are designed for quiet operation, ease of factory assembly, etc.

Guess there’s always a few different ways of looking at this.
Not only that, but larger companies are typically also saddled with incompetent hires and management whose primary purpose is to perpetuate or advance their positions, which then also informs and sometimes dictates detrimental engineering compromises.

These often go even beyond understandable optimizations for other criteria that Josh listed. Smaller companies can very easily be tighter knit, with less flab and ego hampering the actual vision of say, quality and customer service. It does not happen automatically, but much easier to pull off with 50-250 than with 100K employees.

[Just for the record, I work for a very large company and struggle with this corporate attitude all the time, trying to create a pocket of trust and excellence with my team.]

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
It’s my understanding for wet sump motors like our LT4, Katech takes an OEM pump and makes it better, I don’t think they CNC an all new one or create casting molds for new ones. I believe they inspect the GM part, discard any that show indications of defects, port for better flow, blueprint, etc and in this way ensure reliability and quality of the part so it’s not a weak point—it performs and lasts as originally intended. They also make HIGH FLOW dry sump LS7 versions that have CNC components added to an OEM core.

https://store.katechengines.com/gen-34-oil-pump-p5.aspx
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #22
jjgi5150

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE
GM will not warranty an aftermarket oil pump. If a KT oil pump fails and an engine is lost, the very purpose of having one is lost. The only way to fix this situation seems to be with GM fixing a very shitty design pump...especially one on a 650hp motor. We'll never know how many GM pumps actually failed without litigation or government intervention.

I'm not aware of any oil pump failures from the dry sump LS7 motor. Too bad we didn't get that system.
2023 Hyundai SF Calligraphy
jjgi5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #23
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgi5150 View Post
GM will not warranty an aftermarket oil pump. If a KT oil pump fails and an engine is lost, the very purpose of having one is lost. The only way to fix this situation seems to be with GM fixing a very shitty design pump...especially one on a 650hp motor. We'll never know how many GM pumps actually failed without litigation or government intervention.

I'm not aware of any oil pump failures from the dry sump LS7 motor. Too bad we didn't get that system.
There have been failures of LS7 motors due to oil starvation. I know of 3 myself with people I know, 2 by same guy with Corvette, both of his covered. One on a modded Z28, covered anyway because he had a connection with GM. Don’t know if pump failure caused it, seem to recall it was just Chevy dry sump system inability to handle Gs of turn 1-2 at Auto Club speedway.

So far I haven’t heard of any failed ZLEs on track due to oil starvation from Gs only, only pump failures. Anyone know if a ZLE has failed like this? The Gs it can generate are incredible on sticky R comps.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #24
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Bump. I've been in contact with Katech and ordered mine a couple weeks ago. They were doing a batch of 50, shooting for late Dec/early Jan. I got on that list in spot ~40. I'll let you guys know when I hear something.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #25
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Just a quick update for you guys.

Pumps are currently in production.

We had a small delay regarding raw material availability.

We're trying to ship the pre-ordered pumps by the 2nd week in January.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #26
babigguy

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2015 Z51 vette 2005 gto
Sweet
Old 12-31-2020, 10:57 AM   #27
ChadSZL1
Red Bull

Drives: 2017 Chevy ZL1
I will be interested to see how these pumps perform! Only thing holding me back from all the performance upgrades is this oil pump failure crap! What’s the odds of total motor failure if the oil pump fails? I really want to start modding this car!
ChadSZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #28
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSZL1 View Post
I will be interested to see how these pumps perform! Only thing holding me back from all the performance upgrades is this oil pump failure crap! What’s the odds of total motor failure if the oil pump fails? I really want to start modding this car!
Just do the Katech oil pump when you change the cam. No brainer upgrade.