Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #15
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
You know, I might have to rethink this.... As interchillers become more main stream. Makers are going to ask less. Results will be more predictable. After looking at fiinterchillers, I'm thinking that I might not do this 6 months from now. I'm actually contemplating doing this now, I'll probably go interchiller and remove the heat exchanger altogether as they recommend.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #16
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
You know, I might have to rethink this.... As interchillers become more main stream. Makers are going to ask less. Results will be more predictable. After looking at fiinterchillers, I'm thinking that I might not do this 6 months from now. I'm actually contemplating doing this now, I'll probably go interchiller and remove the heat exchanger altogether as they recommend.
I would love to see some data on this on a road course. I feel like this more for drag racing. It would be interesting to email the company and ask for there opinion on how would the interchiller would react on a 20 minute session.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:29 PM   #17
newchevyman

Drives: 2017 Camero ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I would love to see some data on this on a road course. I feel like this more for drag racing. It would be interesting to email the company and ask for there opinion on how would the interchiller would react on a 20 minute session.
Interchillers require your AC compressor to be running to function. They work well for drag racing but it's taxing on your compressor. At WOT AC compressor turns off and interchiller is not running. This is why you don't see them on cars setup for road course racing.
2007 Z06 H/C/I/E Half Mile - 169 MPH. Sold.
newchevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:01 PM   #18
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I ended up going with C&R Racing. They sell a center heat exchanger and the auxiliary heat exchangers that are a direct fit. Their cooling fin design is top-notch.

My setup has been converted for the left aux cooler to be the C&R racing oil cooler. (I have data, but it's not a true apples-to-apples with the setup in this thread.) Couple their oil cooler with their 42mm core center heat exchanger for the supercharger, then their auxiliary water cooler for the right side, and I guarantee this setup will outperform anything on the market.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying anything bad about Weapon X or their offerings that were made available before anyone else. The C&R Racing solution came along much later, but I believe this is now the best solution available. It comes at a price though. Their stuff is not cheap, but if you want the best available, that's what you want.

Did you take measurements from the 3 C&R exchangers and compare them to OEM?
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #19
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
Did you take measurements from the 3 C&R exchangers and compare them to OEM?
I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you mean physical measurements or performance measurements?

The aux coolers for the oil and water are good bit thicker than the OEM water coolers, but otherwise they are the same. There is no trimming or modifications needed to fit. they fit perfectly.

The center heat exchanger for the supercharger is a beast compared to OEM. I actually have both their standard unit and their high performance 42mm version in my garage.

Size and fluid capacity isn't everything though. What makes C&R Racing products the best-of-the-best is their proprietary fin design. They are an OEM cooler supplier for Porsche, McLaren, and many other high-end brands. I believe they also supply one of the OEM units for the new Ford GT500.

(Again, none of this is a knock on Weapon X. Many good things can be said about their units as well. All engineering is done with a target cost in mind. C&R Racing is just on a different tier with cost. With that added cost comes higher performance.)

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #20
20Bluezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I'm sorry. I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you mean physical measurements or performance measurements?

The aux coolers for the oil and water are good bit thicker than the OEM water coolers, but otherwise they are the same. There is no trimming or modifications needed to fit. they fit perfectly.

The center heat exchanger for the supercharger is a beast compared to OEM. I actually have both their standard unit and their high performance 42mm version in my garage.

Size and fluid capacity isn't everything though. What makes C&R Racing products the best-of-the-best is their proprietary fin design. They are an OEM cooler supplier for Porsche, McLaren, and many other high-end brands. I believe they also supply one of the OEM units for the new Ford GT500.

(Again, none of this is a knock on Weapon X. Many good things can be said about their units as well. All engineering is done with a target cost in mind. C&R Racing is just on a different tier with cost. With that added cost comes higher performance.)
Sorry I wasn't specific I meant to say size dimensions was wondering if you needed to cut to fit.

So for the 2 side exchangers they are just a little bit bigger. But the center one is alot thicker are you using the high performance or the standard?

Do you have links to the 3 heat exchangers you are using?