Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
MVPxD

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Tune needed?

Ok guys so I have a 2021 Camaro LT1. I’m running down to TuneTime Performance in central Jersey on 2/11 for a base dyno at 8am. I’m off the rest if the day so I’ll get to installing some parts. I have an MBRP cat back, Kooks 1 7/8 headers with cat, Rotofab cold air, ported LT5 95mm throttle body, and ported LT2 intake manifold. I am not sure when I’ll be scheduled to get down to TuneTime for a tune and dyno again. So my question is, can I drive with these mods without a tune for a bit?

From hearsay I understand that the only thing that really needs a tune to drive is the headers, so I was thinking leaving the headers til the day right before I can drive down to tune? Is this correct? (And install everything else)

Last question, I did not get my kooks 1 7/8 coated. Should I have them wrapped? Is it a big difference if I don’t?

Thank you guys
MVPxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
The car will probably throw some codes after those modifications without tuning, probably trigger limp mode with anything more than part throttle, could be wrong someone with more knowledge doing this on a gen6 would know, I just have past experience doing this in other platforms. As for header wrap, it's your call. I did header wrap once and won't do it again, did not enjoy the wrapping intervals.

By the way, any reason you are not doing flex fuel to take take full advantage of the tune? E85 would be worth about 30 whp with those mods...
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:27 PM   #3
MVPxD

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Thanks for your response! Can you expand on what you mean by the wrapping intervals?

And I am doing an E85 kit! Just didn’t mention it because they will be installing it at TuneTime the day of the tune as they have them in stock, so I didn’t bother mentioning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
The car will probably throw some codes after those modifications without tuning, probably trigger limp mode with anything more than part throttle, could be wrong someone with more knowledge doing this on a gen6 would know, I just have past experience doing this in other platforms. As for header wrap, it's your call. I did header wrap once and won't do it again, did not enjoy the wrapping intervals.

By the way, any reason you are not doing flex fuel to take take full advantage of the tune? E85 would be worth about 30 whp with those mods...
MVPxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
Brudda*Termite

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
A tune is required just from the flex fuel kit if you're going to run E85 out of the blocks. Have fun, you have a great pile of bolt-ons and the tune will max them out!
Old 02-03-2021, 10:26 PM   #5
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Re
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPxD View Post
Thanks for your response! Can you expand on what you mean by the wrapping intervals?

And I am doing an E85 kit! Just didn’t mention it because they will be installing it at TuneTime the day of the tune as they have them in stock, so I didn’t bother mentioning it.
My last car with wrapped longtubes i found myself having to re-wrap my headers every 2 or 3 months. Wasn't even my daily driver, the header wrap works, but the maintenance and upkeep to me was a nightmare, will never do it again. May not be the case for you, you may like to go under your car more frequently than I do.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPxD View Post
Ok guys so I have a 2021 Camaro LT1. I’m running down to TuneTime Performance in central Jersey on 2/11 for a base dyno at 8am. I’m off the rest if the day so I’ll get to installing some parts. I have an MBRP cat back, Kooks 1 7/8 headers with cat, Rotofab cold air, ported LT5 95mm throttle body, and ported LT2 intake manifold. I am not sure when I’ll be scheduled to get down to TuneTime for a tune and dyno again. So my question is, can I drive with these mods without a tune for a bit?

From hearsay I understand that the only thing that really needs a tune to drive is the headers, so I was thinking leaving the headers til the day right before I can drive down to tune? Is this correct? (And install everything else)

Last question, I did not get my kooks 1 7/8 coated. Should I have them wrapped? Is it a big difference if I don’t?

Thank you guys
Have the tuner tune out the cat related codes BEFORE you install the headers. The high flow cats will still likely trigger them and on ‘17-up it’s much harder to get rid of permanent codes.

I would not run headers on these cars without ceramic coating or header wrap. The passenger side wiring harness (and other stuff) is just way too susceptible to heat damage IMO.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #7
Speedracer106

Drives: 2020 Camaro ss
Listen to Joshinator 99, must be turned off before header install. Once the permanent cel comes on you will either have to put stick exhaust back on and drive out replace engine computer to get it off.
Speedracer106 is offline   Reply With Quote