Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #29
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Yeah, it seems at this point that some A10s make the noise and some don't. And for what it's worth, you can hear it in any gear position. Doesn't seem to be any louder in gear vs park or neutral. It becomes more audible as everything warms up. I didn't even drive either of the cars at the dealer. I just fired them up and let the fluids get up to temp before I took that video.

At this point I'm not going to pursue a repair, but I'd still like to solve this mystery. Mainly why some of you guys don't have it. My theory is that if it truly is abnormal (say a widespread parts supplier problem), there will be a service bulletin on it soon enough. At that point, I'd probably let them fix it. At this point I still don't know what to think -- but all 3 of the A10s I've sampled at my dealer do it.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #30
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
New 2018 ZL1 with the A10. I noticed this today when I had the hood up with the engine running (for the first time, only 475 miles). I originally thought it was the blower, but the sound is very similar to the F150 and the ZL1 video. I can't hear it with the hood down, only when it is up.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any updates on this?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #31
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmojo View Post
New 2018 ZL1 with the A10. I noticed this today when I had the hood up with the engine running (for the first time, only 475 miles). I originally thought it was the blower, but the sound is very similar to the F150 and the ZL1 video. I can't hear it with the hood down, only when it is up.

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any updates on this?
I tested two other brand new 2018 ZL1s on my dealers lot, and all 3 (including mine) sounded identical. That was all I needed to not worry about it any more. It’s also way less noticeable now that I put my headers on, haha.

Here’s the video I took of one of the dealer’s cars. Mine sounds the same:
https://youtu.be/XZxhXTsWdsU
Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #32
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I tested two other brand new 2018 ZL1s on my dealers lot, and all 3 (including mine) sounded identical. That was all I needed to not worry about it any more. It’s also way less noticeable now that I put my headers on, haha.

Here’s the video I took of one of the dealer’s cars. Mine sounds the same:
https://youtu.be/XZxhXTsWdsU
I read your posts on the F150 forum, and the noise seems pretty consistent with the A10 trans whether or not it's Ford or GM. I wonder if the 2018 Mustang owners are reporting the issue now that the Mustang has the A10 too.

Is it your belief that the noise is the transmission pump?
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #33
Mcmillion

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1998 SS 1992 Typhoon
I have the same sound on my 18. I just got rid of a C7Z06 and at first I was thinking... Wow this baby blower does whine more in this car and then noticed it was coming from under the car, I thought maybe it was an exhaust valve or something, glad I found this thread.
Mcmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #34
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I read your posts on the F150 forum, and the noise seems pretty consistent with the A10 trans whether or not it's Ford or GM. I wonder if the 2018 Mustang owners are reporting the issue now that the Mustang has the A10 too.

Is it your belief that the noise is the transmission pump?
I’d imagine it is from the pump, but I’m just guessing. I commented on a YouTube video showing the noise on an F150, and a 2018 Mustang owner commented that his car did it too. So it seems to be all the 10 speeds.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I’d imagine it is from the pump, but I’m just guessing. I commented on a YouTube video showing the noise on an F150, and a 2018 Mustang owner commented that his car did it too. So it seems to be all the 10 speeds.
Thanks. I did a search on google and didn't find any comments from Mustang owners. Sounds like it is normal since every vehicle has the issue. I'm doubting any resolution will happen. I think I heard it on the 17 ZL1 I checked out at the dealer, but I just assumed it was the supercharger. It sounds like one of those noises that you wouldn't notice until you've owned the car for a while.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:56 PM   #36
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Thanks. I did a search on google and didn't find any comments from Mustang owners. Sounds like it is normal since every vehicle has the issue. I'm doubting any resolution will happen. I think I heard it on the 17 ZL1 I checked out at the dealer, but I just assumed it was the supercharger. It sounds like one of those noises that you wouldn't notice until you've owned the car for a while.
I actually noticed it on my car when I was sitting on the dealer lot messing around with things while I waited for the finance guy. I just assumed it was the supercharger at the time. I don’t think it’s out of character for the car.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #37
NOGO17Z

Drives: NFG17ZL1
My '17 does it too. Sadly, if it is something that will require repair we will start seeing failures before anything gets resolved. I use the stereo to drown out the whines, creaks and rattles. I know that isn't what folks like to hear, just my way of dealing with it.
NOGO17Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #38
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Glad i got my M6. My car does not sound anything like that, and i definatly wouldent be cool with it if it did. Was pissed enough at the front spring issue. Got the dealer to fix that. This on the other hand...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #39
BMWM.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer110 View Post
Glad i got my M6. My car does not sound anything like that, and i definatly wouldent be cool with it if it did. Was pissed enough at the front spring issue. Got the dealer to fix that. This on the other hand...
It’s not horribly loud or anything. It’s just a noise that you can hear in the background along with other mechanical noise. I only notice it driving at low speed in a quiet area with the windows down. Much less so now that I put my headers on.

I’ve heard a bunch of factory stock cars that make much louder noises than this. The gear whine on the BMW M3s with the S54 motor come to mind. I can hear one of those idling from across the shop.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #40
kkriskal

Drives: 2018 2SS Triple Black Performance
I have a 2018 2SS Automaatic and it does the exact same thing from day one. It does Not sound as loud as it magnifies in the video but the same noise and can hear it while idling in my garage.
kkriskal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #41
collinms

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by msawyer110 View Post
The noise is not that loud really...honestly if it was twice as loud I would still be happy with this amazing transmission. Go on YouTube and watch roll races with this transmission...its unreal. I love my car.
collinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #42
TurboBeezer

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 6MT
I only hear a slight whine while idling with the AC on.
TurboBeezer is offline   Reply With Quote