Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #197
Nick_james_88

Drives: 2019 ZL1
So is there anything wrong with using a 5W-30 oil on a ‘19 ZL1? Pretty sure when I had my car tuned and they changed the oil they used a 10-30 Amsoil, not any of these Dexos 2 factory recommended oils.

Last edited by Nick_james_88; 10-10-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Nick_james_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #198
CAPTRS777

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE HBM 14 SALEEN 620[S]
Great write up! Thanks for all the info!
CAPTRS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #199
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_james_88 View Post
So is there anything wrong with using a 5W-30 oil on a ‘19 ZL1? Pretty sure when I had my car tuned and they changed the oil they used a 10-30 Amsoil, not any of these Dexos 2 factory recommended oils.
Nothing wrong with 5W30. Just not recommended for track duty.

There are many great oils out there. Amsoil is often excellent. I wouldn't worry about it. I just prefer to keep it simple and use OEM stuff. Never had an issue, and my cars run strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTRS777 View Post
Great write up! Thanks for all the info!
No problem. The original post has continued to evolve as new/better info comes forward. That's the whole point of sticky in my mind, provide something that is very helpful and basic for all members, new and advanced.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #200
bmlocal175

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Black M6 PDR
Just saw this thread... Just got my second free oil change and the rear diff changed. First oil change was around 1000 miles and now I'm around 2500.

Looking at my receipt they gave me 88865635. I didn't know anything about this new oil. Just wondering why I received this oil and not the other. I don't track, not yet anyway, and I have had the car for 2 years and 2500 miles. I know, drive the damn thing.

Going to service the car myself from now on now the freebies are gone. Am I good with the rear diff for awhile if I don't track? Should I change to the new oil next change or keep using what they just put in?
bmlocal175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #201
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlocal175 View Post
Just saw this thread... Just got my second free oil change and the rear diff changed. First oil change was around 1000 miles and now I'm around 2500.

Looking at my receipt they gave me 88865635. I didn't know anything about this new oil. Just wondering why I received this oil and not the other. I don't track, not yet anyway, and I have had the car for 2 years and 2500 miles. I know, drive the damn thing.

Going to service the car myself from now on now the freebies are gone. Am I good with the rear diff for awhile if I don't track? Should I change to the new oil next change or keep using what they just put in?
Getting them changed before 5000+ miles is better than nothing. 1000 isn't that late anyways. If the diff was recently changed, you're good for a long time. You could do another one if you want to.

As for oil, 88865635 is the OEM 5w30 oil, which is absolutely fine for street use. If you're never planning on tracking, you probably will never notice the difference between running 5w30 or 0w40 ESP. Because I'm mildly OCD, I probably would switch to 0w40 ESP at the next needed oil change; but, definitely don't do an oil change super short term JUST to change to the newer oil.

When a car comes into service at a dealer, all they care about is the VIN. With the VIN, they simply punch it into the system and it tells them any and every part/fluid/bolt etc. you can imagine that that VIN came with from the factory and therefore what it needs when whatever needs fixing/replacing. So, since 2018 ZL1's were factory filled with 5w30, that's what popped up, it told them they have it in stock, as well as the filter, and boom, job done, RO closed. Though it may seem like common knowledge to us, that is oils and things, to a tech, their job is to follow what the computer says, thinking on their own usually gets them in trouble more often than not. If you want to request a special oil, you'll definitely want to do that beforehand. Keep in mind, they'll have to slightly alter the process for doing that job just for that request as they're going around the built in GM system for service. Just food for thought. Nobody did anything wrong here and if it happens again in the future to any posters here, just know that they're simply not told any better. If you want to complain about something, take it to GM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #202
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Really great information, I noted it all down on my phone

Taking my car in for the 1500 mile service.
What about changing the transmission fluid? I have an A10?

Thanks

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:33 PM   #203
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Really great information, I noted it all down on my phone

Taking my car in for the 1500 mile service.
What about changing the transmission fluid? I have an A10?

Thanks
Sorry, just got around to this now.

Glad the info was of use!

As for the transmission fluid, I do not think it is necessary to change it until significant track hours have been accumulated. I know a few members on here have changed it, I will post links. I know it is a massive pain in the can. I can't remember the exact number but I think it's only necessary after 10 or 15 hours of track driving and then it's roughly 15 track hour increments after that. It does not need a "break in" change as bad as the Differential and Engine do.

Check these out:
How-to by Stephen: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553829
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526366
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539801
Old 10-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #204
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
A couple of quick questions and thanks in advance for this thread/info. It has been extremely helpful.

I've read the track prep guide and I'm wondering why people are doing the oil/diff fluid again at 1500 miles after the 500 mile change. Is it purely for peace of mind etc?

Also I believe I read the differential fill/drain bolts should be torqued back to 24 lb foot. Does this sound correct?
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #205
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
A couple of quick questions and thanks in advance for this thread/info. It has been extremely helpful.

I've read the track prep guide and I'm wondering why people are doing the oil/diff fluid again at 1500 miles after the 500 mile change. Is it purely for peace of mind etc?

Also I believe I read the differential fill/drain bolts should be torqued back to 24 lb foot. Does this sound correct?
Glad the thread has been helpful.

The 1500 mile number came from some GM manual. I can't place which one at this time, but it wasn't just made up. The second change is helpful to get all of the break in grease, fluids, and oils out and keep it happy for many miles to come. Especially after track use, the rear diff gets worked REALLY hard and you'll definitely notice the color and smell afterwards. Will the car be fine if you skip the 1500 change? Sure, you may never notice the difference. But for me, it's a must do.

As for torque, I didn't bother to check any manuals on it. I used the "feels about right" method. Snug, and then some. Never lead me astray.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #206
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Glad the thread has been helpful.

The 1500 mile number came from some GM manual. I can't place which one at this time, but it wasn't just made up. The second change is helpful to get all of the break in grease, fluids, and oils out and keep it happy for many miles to come. Especially after track use, the rear diff gets worked REALLY hard and you'll definitely notice the color and smell afterwards. Will the car be fine if you skip the 1500 change? Sure, you may never notice the difference. But for me, it's a must do.

As for torque, I didn't bother to check any manuals on it. I used the "feels about right" method. Snug, and then some. Never lead me astray.
I just did the 500 mile (oil change plus diff fluid) and other than being messy it was very straight forward to do, which is very nice compared to some other makes.

I have nothing against the peace of mind crowd, I’ve just never done more than one break in service. But, if there is/was some documents from GM saying it is a good idea that is another thing.

I found the torque specs somewhere and unfortunately didn’t bookmark it so I lost it. I did have an issue with the “feels about right method” so that is my piece of mind thing. We all have our “things.”

Any word on when to change MT fluid? I was going to do a track day next year and then change it after that first one.

This thread has been very helpful, especially for part numbers/prices. My dealer kept trying to give me the other diff/eLSD fluid so it was nice to have those handy. But, once I showed them that they saw the difference and while they couldn’t completely match online prices they came close enough for me.

Last edited by minn19; 10-27-2019 at 08:48 PM.
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #207
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post

Any word on when to change MT fluid? I was going to do a track day next year and then change it after that first one.

yea i am wondering if the MT would benefit from a break in change or just let it go till its recommended maintenance interval.
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #208
flipnSara

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1 1LE
First oil/diff change done @600 miles. Oil and diff fluid looked good. Thank y'all for this. I had everything ready to go and got them done with zero issues as if I'd done it on her before.
flipnSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #209
m3bs

Drives: '19 ZLE, S54 E36M3
Picked up a 2019 ZLE with less than 200 miles on it Tuesday. I've spent the last two days reading the manuals, supplements, and this forum trying to decipher what I need to do to get it ready for the track. In the process I ran across a link to the 2019 track prep guide, which still recommends the 500/1500 service. Guess I'd better go buy some oil today. I hope it's OK to link to the other forum. Couldn't find it on the GM site anywhere.

http://camarofest.org/uploads/3/4/3/...prep-guide.pdf
m3bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #210
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
Picked up a 2019 ZLE with less than 200 miles on it Tuesday. I've spent the last two days reading the manuals, supplements, and this forum trying to decipher what I need to do to get it ready for the track. In the process I ran across a link to the 2019 track prep guide, which still recommends the 500/1500 service. Guess I'd better go buy some oil today. I hope it's OK to link to the other forum. Couldn't find it on the GM site anywhere.

http://camarofest.org/uploads/3/4/3/...prep-guide.pdf
No problem with that link since it's kind of part of this forum as well, but I have no idea how you found it there and I manage most of the content on that site.

Congrats on your new ride and hope you bring it to Camaro Fest.