Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
RabbitZL1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
How much of the gain was attributed to the 103 mm TB? How much was attributed to the porting.. it makes since to do a 103 but since we measuring true gains and not everyone can dish out 600 for tb after 1000 plus for porting
I wouldn’t recommend getting it ported and leaving the stock Tb. That’s why I didn’t test it that way.
RabbitZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitZL1 View Post
I wouldn’t recommend getting it ported and leaving the stock Tb. That’s why I didn’t test it that way.
For sure... totally agree. just wondering..

another factor is tuning.. could you have did a base line... sure would of helped, It been nice to see a factory car, then pop the blower off port and add the TB see if it went way lean ( Calling for a tune) or if you could of popped it back on a seen a power gain with no tuning.. Just having unknown variables makes it not so real.

For instance... I did pulleys, headers, and ported TB. Made 659 on the dyno, Finally the Carbon elite is ready popped it on and lost 1 hp. The AFR was good not rich not lean in fact it was minuter lean on the Carbon so in reality it should made a tad more. To me the power is coming from a tune not the part you added.

I think the correct test would be, tune your car as best you could stock blower, COLD AIR INTAKE, headers if you had them or better yet a cut factory box angled just right.. See what she does... them do your porting and tb.. If it needs to be retuned because the AFR is no bueno now and it picks up power its a win for sure!

This would take out the variable of how much is the tune and how much is the porting.

I would be happy to do this for them or anyone!

There's a lot of variables...

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #17
RabbitZL1

Quote:
For sure... totally agree. just wondering..

another factor is tuning.. could you have did a base line... sure would of helped, It been nice to see a factory car, then pop the blower off port and add the TB see if it went way lean ( Calling for a tune) or if you could of popped it back on a seen a power gain with no tuning.. Just having unknown variables makes it not so real.

For instance... I did pulleys, headers, and ported TB. Made 659 on the dyno, Finally the Carbon elite is ready popped it on and lost 1 hp. The AFR was good not rich not lean in fact it was minuter lean on the Carbon so in reality it should made a tad more. To me the power is coming from a tune not the part you added.

I think the correct test would be, tune your car as best you could stock blower, COLD AIR INTAKE, headers if you had them or better yet a cut factory box angled just right.. See what she does... them do your porting and tb.. If it needs to be retuned because the AFR is no bueno now and it picks up power its a win for sure!

This would take out the variable of how much is the tune and how much is the porting.

I would be happy to do this for them or anyone!

There's a lot of variables...
All that testing would be ideal in the perfect world. I work a lot and don’t have time to test each individual part like that. The other thread shows gains on a bone stock car with stock tune tested by CSP. That just backs up my results. Like I said this thread is just to show my experience with parts.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Want1

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Cool, different build!
Want1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #19
RabbitZL1

Just finished making up my 5” intake. Preliminary results are looking very good. It’s lean everywhere

Dont mind the clamps, they were all I had. There is one shop that sells a 5" intake for $650. The heat shield looks like crap, and the filter is small as hell. I rather modify my rotofab heat shield to fit and use a Green Filter.

Last edited by RabbitZL1; 06-05-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:03 AM   #20
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Did you put the stand offs on either side of the maf? Or straighten the elbow any?

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #21
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
What would the difference from this intake be from just using a roto fab and green filter?
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 AM   #22
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

size of diameter intake between tb and housing.. I have been doing test with Vararam for a few months you be surprised what works and what doesn't. bigger isn't better in this car.. and dyno numbers with hood up is flawed on open air filters like rotofab.

When I started with Vararam totally stock car... We saw 5 degrees of knock timing from the entire curve. very high MV in O2s yet the stock intake was better than the 2 big competitors when you cut the lower filter and angled it just right to have fresh air hit it dead on(not using the grommets and nubs so it it sits funny)

You may have remember that I tuned my car on the lower pulley, headers, Mamo tb and stock filter.. Then the elite was finished I was gung ho to get back to Sorian dyno to see the gain or should I say 1 hp loss.. I then pulled wifes Rotofab off and got same results.

next came street testing with live on all 3 setups vs vararam... I still had up to 5 degrees of knock with competitors but lowered the it 2.5 and picked up a little boost with factory.

last Saturday I had the finale Vararam production piece before the mold process so the prototype was all 3d printed ugly but what a difference

830mv on 02s
smaller neck size on MAF location
No Knock timing
i had 19 something degrees of timing where the best i got before was 15
and cooler IATS 97 fender location and 114 in blower it was way higher before this was a 100 degree day in houston
before I had 17.2 lbs of peak boost now 19 subtract 6.7 or 6.9 I forget the calc.

huge improvement over competition and stock cut box.

his set up is different you can make a setup like his and give to public probably blow stuff up.. what he's doing is totally different.

Patrick w vararam told me a few things.. the car needs those fins in there by the MAF, you need a solid 3 inch of gap to pull clean air all around the filter not just one side, it need to pull clean air other than the little space below the light, and the elbow need a straighter path.

Fail for all that's on the market..

nice build thread though.. i hope you ge t0 700rwhp on 93 with no fuel or meth upgrades.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #23
RabbitZL1

Quote:
size of diameter intake between tb and housing.. I have been doing test with Vararam for a few months you be surprised what works and what doesn't. bigger isn't better in this car.. and dyno numbers with hood up is flawed on open air filters like rotofab.

When I started with Vararam totally stock car... We saw 5 degrees of knock timing from the entire curve. very high MV in O2s yet the stock intake was better than the 2 big competitors when you cut the lower filter and angled it just right to have fresh air hit it dead on(not using the grommets and nubs so it it sits funny)

You may have remember that I tuned my car on the lower pulley, headers, Mamo tb and stock filter.. Then the elite was finished I was gung ho to get back to Sorian dyno to see the gain or should I say 1 hp loss.. I then pulled wifes Rotofab off and got same results.

next came street testing with live on all 3 setups vs vararam... I still had up to 5 degrees of knock with competitors but lowered the it 2.5 and picked up a little boost with factory.

last Saturday I had the finale Vararam production piece before the mold process so the prototype was all 3d printed ugly but what a difference

830mv on 02s
smaller neck size on MAF location
No Knock timing
i had 19 something degrees of timing where the best i got before was 15
and cooler IATS 97 fender location and 114 in blower it was way higher before this was a 100 degree day in houston
before I had 17.2 lbs of peak boost now 19 subtract 6.7 or 6.9 I forget the calc.

huge improvement over competition and stock cut box.

his set up is different you can make a setup like his and give to public probably blow stuff up.. what he's doing is totally different.

Patrick w vararam told me a few things.. the car needs those fins in there by the MAF, you need a solid 3 inch of gap to pull clean air all around the filter not just one side, it need to pull clean air other than the little space below the light, and the elbow need a straighter path.

Fail for all that's on the market..

nice build thread though.. i hope you ge t0 700rwhp on 93 with no fuel or meth upgrades.

I’ll be on the dyno Thursday with closed hood numbers. I don’t tune With narrowband mv. I have a dual channel wideband. my iat 1 temps were 1 degree above ambient. Manifold temps are a different story. That rotofab heat barrier does a really good job of sealing itself off from the rest of the engine bay.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #24
RabbitZL1

Just got off the dyno. The 5" intake made a little power. I was expecting more but it was hot today and the car was taking forever to cool off, so i made the pulls with high ass manifold temps. Im happy with these results. Next stage is installation of a 9.55 lower and some e85 and maybe an ice tank in the trunk.

93 vs 93 w/ meth

Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #25
RabbitZL1

Went to the track yesterday to test everything. I learned a lot about this car actually track tuning instead of just going off dyno Numbers. Here are my results:

Mods are the same as the last post, Kong performance ported blower/snout, 103mm Tb, stainless works 2” headers, my custom 5” intake, a little meth to try to tame these manifold temps, my tuning, 17” drag radials w/ skinnies, and STOCK PULLIES. Here was the quickest/fastest pass of the day:

Mph never lies. Pretty sure that pass is the fastest with no pullies. This is proof that the ported supercharger is making very good gains.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #26
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitZL1 View Post
Went to the track yesterday to test everything. I learned a lot about this car actually track tuning instead of just going off dyno Numbers. Here are my results:

Mph never lies. Pretty sure that pass is the fastest with no pullies. This is proof that the ported supercharger is making very good gains.
Bummer! I couldn't make Atco last night and a fast ZL1 was there! I have made the stock Atco baseline runs for you. last Tuesday the air was about the same I ran 11.5 with a mid 1.8 60' So with a 1.7 which is about the best you can do on stock tires we have a low 11.4 @ 125.

So you picked up about +8 MPH and .65 ET. (IMO) Can we call that +80 HP? Also your time matches the best time a Demon ran last week. LOL And your 60' is one of the best any bolton ZL1 has done.

Hope to see you at Atco to represent. In order to stay with most of the Hellcats I see I have to leave a little early. My long range plans are a pulley, tune, porting, and tires. Stock exhaust no meth. I know that is mild build but it will look stock and should get me in the 10s most of the time. (I hope)

Last edited by Fraxum; 06-16-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #27
RabbitZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Bummer! I couldn't make Atco last night and a fast ZL1 was there! I have made the stock Atco baseline runs for you. last Tuesday the air was about the same I ran 11.5 with a mid 1.8 60' So with a 1.7 which is about the best you can do on stock tires we have a low 11.4 @ 125.

So you picked up about +8 MPH and .65 ET. (IMO) Can we call that +80 HP? Also your time matches the best time a Demon ran last week. LOL And your 60' is one of the best any bolton ZL1 has done.

Hope to see you at Atco to represent. In order to stay with most of the Hellcats I see I have to leave a little early. My long range plans are a pulley, tune, porting, and tires. Stock exhaust no meth. I know that is mild build but it will look stock and should get me in the 10s most of the time. (I hope)
Next time you plan to go, shoot me a pm
Old 07-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #28
RabbitZL1

small update.... i installed a 9.55 lower last week and attemped to try some ethanol. I know its been said that the fuel system cant handle any but i had to see it for my self what exactly runs out. I'll be installing the DSX aux fuel system in a few days and we will see what happens.

Heres a pic of the lower:

Last edited by RabbitZL1; 05-26-2019 at 09:42 AM.