Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-16-2019, 11:02 PM   #127
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
This same airbag deployment happened to me at an autocross. It is a known issue that more people need to be aware of in the off chance it happens to you.
Here’s my video:
https://youtu.be/H03gqhe7UpU

My car was towed to the dealer October 14th and I just got it back a week ago now at a cost of $6400.

I hit the pothole/rut at 19mph.

Be careful out there. The algorithm for curtain airbag deployment on this car is not correct.

Last edited by F1FTY; 01-27-2019 at 07:28 AM.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #128
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
This is 100% GM's responsibility. They advertise the ZL1 as a track car, and this incident is representative of the kinds of things that happen on track with great frequency.

No collision, no rollover, no damage to the car... the airbag should NOT have deployed.

The fact that it did is empirical proof that the predictive software is faulty and not appropriate to the use for which GM has presented the car.

It disgusts me how manufacturers are getting away with not standing behind their products in cases like this.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #129
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Here’s my video:
https://youtu.be/H03gqhe7UpU

My car was towed to the dealer October 14th and I just got it back a week ago now at a cost of $6400.

I hit the pothole/rut at 19mph.

Be careful out there. The algorithm for curtain airbag deployment on this car is not correct.
I wouldn't say not correct and though you did peak >1.25Gs when hitting that pot hole. They do seem to be "sensitive" to an event that includes a combination of rotation similar to a "rollover" and high G forces.

This seems very similar to the Colorado airbag issues,and the Colorado got a fix for it though, maybe the Camaro needs one too.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #130
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
I wouldn't say not correct and though you did peak >1.25Gs when hitting that pot hole. They do seem to be "sensitive" to an event that includes a combination of rotation similar to a "rollover" and high G forces.

This seems very similar to the Colorado airbag issues,and the Colorado got a fix for it though, maybe the Camaro needs one too.
That’s not unusual g force for a track day although I understand your point.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #131
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
This is 100% GM's responsibility. They advertise the ZL1 as a track car, and this incident is representative of the kinds of things that happen on track with great frequency.

No collision, no rollover, no damage to the car... the airbag should NOT have deployed.

The fact that it did is empirical proof that the predictive software is faulty and not appropriate to the use for which GM has presented the car.

It disgusts me how manufacturers are getting away with not standing behind their products in cases like this.
The wonderful world of product design and liability. We yell at the OEM's when we put our cars on slicks and nitrous and rip the rear out. Our lawyers sue to OEM's if we had an airbag switch to turn stuff off - and we left it off after leaving the track.

I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, but, our "system" regarding litigation drives a lot of this stuff. If they don't make the restraint systems sensitive enough, they get sued. If they make them too sensitive, they get sued.

Yes, if mine blow at the track like I've seen, I would try to get mine covered if I thought it was a "reasonable" event that caused deployment. However, if they didn't, I'd probably use it as an excuse to put a full cage and containment seats in it like I may at some point anyways.

The restraint diagnostics has to make a split second decision based on all kinds of factors, and as we all know, it only gets ONE chance if it is wrong, whether it be a late deployment, a non-deployment, or a "wrong" deployment. Another thing adding to the issues with multiple OEM's (regarding restraint diagnostics / strategies / decisions) is just how capable car suspension and tire design are getting and the g-loads, both momentary and sustained, that can occur.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #132
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
The wonderful world of product design and liability. We yell at the OEM's when we put our cars on slicks and nitrous and rip the rear out. Our lawyers sue to OEM's if we had an airbag switch to turn stuff off - and we left it off after leaving the track.

I'm not saying which side is right or wrong, but, our "system" regarding litigation drives a lot of this stuff. If they don't make the restraint systems sensitive enough, they get sued. If they make them too sensitive, they get sued.

Yes, if mine blow at the track like I've seen, I would try to get mine covered if I thought it was a "reasonable" event that caused deployment. However, if they didn't, I'd probably use it as an excuse to put a full cage and containment seats in it like I may at some point anyways.

The restraint diagnostics has to make a split second decision based on all kinds of factors, and as we all know, it only gets ONE chance if it is wrong, whether it be a late deployment, a non-deployment, or a "wrong" deployment. Another thing adding to the issues with multiple OEM's (regarding restraint diagnostics / strategies / decisions) is just how capable car suspension and tire design are getting and the g-loads, both momentary and sustained, that can occur.
Thank you for the great response and for providing more background into how these systems can work. I suppose when I say the algorithm on the Camaro is not correct, I’m referring not to the programming but rather in comparison to the competition.

There are more than just mine and the OP that have had a similar deployment occur on the Camaro. This dates back to the 5th Gen now and GM refuses to touch it.

I’ve seen 3-4 gs around a track before hitting curbing and bouncing down into a carousel on full coil over suspension in other makes. Like the ZR2, Chevrolet needs to fix this if they’re going to call the ZL1 and other Camaro models track ready. It’s not like I’m anything more than a bad novice driver, so the bleeding edge isn’t expected here. I know movements differ but it is curious that the famous videos of the ZL1 1LE at Nurburgring show the airbag light on the dash.

GM knows.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #133
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:

While I completely get what you're saying, GM markets this car for exactly the kind of use under which the OP experienced a malfunction of the safety equipment. And it did indeed malfunction, because it deployed under circumstances that resulted in no crash, no rollover, and no other damage to the vehicle.

I agree that it's a very fine line, but they got it wrong, so it should be on their dime. This isn't a $20k commuter that's being pressed into track service. It's a halo car, marketed for track use, and sold on tires capable of 1.2gs...

I do find it rather telling that the system appears to have been disabled on the Nurburgring video... that raises some interesting questions.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #134
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Thank you for the great response and for providing more background into how these systems can work. I suppose when I say the algorithm on the Camaro is not correct, I’m referring not to the programming but rather in comparison to the competition.

There are more than just mine and the OP that have had a similar deployment occur on the Camaro. This dates back to the 5th Gen now and GM refuses to touch it.

I’ve seen 3-4 gs around a track before hitting curbing and bouncing down into a carousel on full coil over suspension in other makes. Like the ZR2, Chevrolet needs to fix this if they’re going to call the ZL1 and other Camaro models track ready. It’s not like I’m anything more than a bad novice driver, so the bleeding edge isn’t expected here. I know movements differ but it is curious that the famous videos of the ZL1 1LE at Nurburgring show the airbag light on the dash.

GM knows.

I hear what you're saying but, didn't The Ring car have aftermarket seats in it?
Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #135
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
While I completely get what you're saying, GM markets this car for exactly the kind of use under which the OP experienced a malfunction of the safety equipment. And it did indeed malfunction, because it deployed under circumstances that resulted in no crash, no rollover, and no other damage to the vehicle.

I agree that it's a very fine line, but they got it wrong, so it should be on their dime. This isn't a $20k commuter that's being pressed into track service. It's a halo car, marketed for track use, and sold on tires capable of 1.2gs...

I do find it rather telling that the system appears to have been disabled on the Nurburgring video... that raises some interesting questions.
The side / rollover air bags were not working on the 'Ring because they had a race seat in there and did not bother doing a workaround. At those speeds, I'd rather have a good seat and harness with submarine belt than a stock seat with the side / rollover air bags functional.

As per my comments, I am not saying they are wrong or right. I'm just saying it's a busload of calibration work all the OEMs go through to try to get it perfect for all conditions. I am glad it doesn't happen more than what it seem to do based on the deployment videos I've seen like this. That is comment is based on a lot of us with a lot of track time with spins / curb jumps, etc.

The same thinking is with engine failures due to something other than a mechanical overrev. We sure talk about the ones that nuke not the ones that we hammer on all the time that keep going and going. Absolutely, sometimes it's a design issue, sometimes it's just the relability equation coming up bad for you.

Think about all the little bitty parts need to work 100% of the time for your car to run at all let alone be beat on with a warranty for most things. Don't think too hard on that next time you fly with your family.

I wonder how many "wrong" deployments during a track / autocross / donut event there have been in our platform vs. the number of times the platform has seen those activities. Probably not a big number.

However, it's like the 1 in a million bad...if you're the 1, it's 100% suckage.

I'm done with my comments. All the best to the guy affected.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #136
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 1LE View Post
I hear what you're saying but, didn't The Ring car have aftermarket seats in it?
Did it? Wasn’t aware of that! Definitely retract my statement then about the light.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 PM   #137
F1FTY

Quote:
The side / rollover air bags were not working on the 'Ring because they had a race seat in there and did not bother doing a workaround. At those speeds, I'd rather have a good seat and harness with submarine belt than a stock seat with the side / rollover air bags functional.

As per my comments, I am not saying they are wrong or right. I'm just saying it's a busload of calibration work all the OEMs go through to try to get it perfect for all conditions. I am glad it doesn't happen more than what it seem to do based on the deployment videos I've seen like this. That is comment is based on a lot of us with a lot of track time with spins / curb jumps, etc.

The same thinking is with engine failures due to something other than a mechanical overrev. We sure talk about the ones that nuke not the ones that we hammer on all the time that keep going and going. Absolutely, sometimes it's a design issue, sometimes it's just the relability equation coming up bad for you.

Think about all the little bitty parts need to work 100% of the time for your car to run at all let alone be beat on with a warranty for most things. Don't think too hard on that next time you fly with your family.

I wonder how many "wrong" deployments during a track / autocross / donut event there have been in our platform vs. the number of times the platform has seen those activities. Probably not a big number.

However, it's like the 1 in a million bad...if you're the 1, it's 100% suckage.

I'm done with my comments. All the best to the guy affected.
I’ve compiled a list of times this has happened to GM cars (so no ZR2’s). It’s larger than expected. These things kind of get buried on forums.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #138
chmx

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
GM Should pay for this! The system is to sensitive. My friend had a Gen 5 and 3 years ago went side ways on Off ramp and Passenger side Air bag went off and hit passengers arm. We was way side ways and almost smacked wall but didn't hit a thing. On Star came on asking if they needed help. He drove home at night with flashers on. Drove into dealer next day and told the story and GM fixed it with no charge. The dealer said no way you hit something, but after looking the car over in detail and no scratch anywhere they covered it.
chmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #139
Joejberg

Drives: None yet
So...can I just pull a fuse when I autox to prevent this? There's nothing to hit and I just would rather not have the airbags deploy when I powerslide into 100 cones like I usually do.
Joejberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #140
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejberg View Post
So...can I just pull a fuse when I autox to prevent this? There's nothing to hit and I just would rather not have the airbags deploy when I powerslide into 100 cones like I usually do.
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...um2evr0ivm.png

Haven't tried it, but i'd be surprised if it was that clean of a fix on the 6th gen.