Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 01-09-2024, 07:04 AM   #1
Bud357

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 M6 Recaro NPP
Tire suggestions

I’m trying to decide what tires to go with. I have staggered SS wheels 20x8.5 and 20x9.5. I do 2-3 track days a year at NJMP. The car is mostly driven 3 seasons, never in snow. I want a tire that is reliable and decently track worthy. I am not looking for record lap times but I want something that gives confidence. Right now I have the stock run flats. Also, is it worth upsizing to 255 front and 285 rear. Do I go with summer only or UHP all season? Michelin and Continental look good and seem to have the best ratings. Any thoughts? Thank you.

1992 RS 5.0 5-speed, 1995 Z28 Auto,
1999 WS6, 2007 Trailblazer SS.
Bud357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:29 AM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Don't go with any all-season for this use. If you aren't driving in ice/snow and you keep the car garaged, there are a few tires labeled as "summer" that are really "three-season" tires" and will work a lot better on track for you. Also, don't want to go wider or taller than stock with these wheels. Their rim widths won't support wider tires as well, so you likely won't go faster and could possibly even go slower, plus the wear pattern might not be as good.

The two obvious choices are the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s and the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02. To start on the street factors, they both are deliver a fairly comfortable and quiet ride and tolerate a wide range of temps. I've driven my Michelins in temps down to low 20sF quite a bit, no problems. I probably wouldn't push things into teens if I didn't have to, but I bet it would still be fine. They just aren't good on ice or snow, but you already know you won't drive the car in those conditions. They are both also fantastic wet-weather tires. People use them on track and in autocrosses as rain tires. I did a track day on mine once where the morning dry temps were in the high 30s and the afternoon was raining and 40F. I was one of only three cars still willing to keep lapping, and all went well.

Both of these tires will hold up to moderate track use, especially if it isn't 95F ambient. It is possible to overheat them and make them chunk, but it takes pretty heavy-handed inputs and a hot day to do so. I've seen plenty of people track them successfully, and they are completely fine for autocross use if you are so inclined. They have no bad handling habits and will grip reasonably well, although obviously not as well as more track/competition-focused tires.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:09 AM   #3
Bud357

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 M6 Recaro NPP
Thank you Matt for the input! I was worried about the low temperature driving, which would be very limited, so it is good to hear that you have had experience with the Michelins at lower temps. Thank you

1992 RS 5.0 5-speed, 1995 Z28 Auto,
1999 WS6, 2007 Trailblazer SS.
Bud357 is offline   Reply With Quote