Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Detroit Muscle

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Who here has a procharged LT1?

Just wondering what set-up you guys went with? (head unit etc..)
And is yours quiet or loud? And if its loud how did you make it that way? (I want to be able to hear this thing if I go this route!) Thanks!

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance

Last edited by Detroit Muscle; 08-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Detroit Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Drives: Mustang GT
I don't but I can give you some input. Pass on the P1 and go D1 or D1x, honestly D1x is where it's at. P1s run out of steam quick in these larger displacement, higher output motors, they start pumping a lot more heat with higher blower speeds and therefore deminishing returns. D1 with give you more room but D1x will give the most room to grow, it's way more efficient at higher RPMs therefore less need for larger intercoolers and meth.

As far as noise, both are audible. If you want to stay on a budget and love centri noises regular gears are fine. If your significant other is picky with loud exhausts or other noises in the cabin then get the helical gears. Regular gears is a chirping sound where as the helical is more of a fine whistle. BOVs also sound differently.
Sol4rfl4re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
Clin5910

Drives: 2016 2ss, whipple supercharged
But with the d1 instead of p1 if you plan on running safe psi levels, say 7, are you gunna be making the same power levels?
Clin5910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clin5910 View Post
But with the d1 instead of p1 if you plan on running safe psi levels, say 7, are you gunna be making the same power levels?
The lower the boost levels the more identical the power will look. For example at 7psi the D1 might only make 10whp more than the P1, at 10psi the D1 might make 25 more, and so on. From what I've seen the D1 will use a one size larger pulley to keep psi even with P1, so same pulley D1 will make slightly more, how much more depends on pulley chosen.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
tireslayer0331

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have a D1SC with straight cut gears, with the bigger intercooler (stage 2 I believe) and the race valve (big red one). As far as noise it can be pretty loud at idle, cruising down the highway at 60-70mph I don't hear it. Driving slow around town I hear the BOV quite a lot, sounds like I'm driving through a puddle at times. As was just said if your significant other is sensitive to noise(like mine) she will not like it, my hearing isn't great so I don't mind it. There are ways for your tuner to make it a little less loud at idle being tweaking TQ tables and timing at idle which I may try next time I get tuned to please the mrs.

The BOV is by far the loudest part, it's louder than my stock NPP exhaust(until I cut out my cats soon). I love the sound of it after a pull though, scares little children. Anyone who isn't a car guy thinks I have something seriously wrong, car guys however love it!
Old 08-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Yea stick with prochargers bov until you absolutely need to step up.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
I have the P1SC, Stage 2 intercooler, and standard bypass. I went this way since the P1 will support the HP I need to run 9.90 (my ultimate goal). I will probably be upgrading the bypass to the big red eventually. But that's not too difficult. The blower whines enough with the straight cut gears to hear a little bit at idle, but once you step on it, you know it's there. I can only imagine the bigger blowers are louder.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
I ordered my kit July 3rd. Still waiting on it. They gave me an updated estimated ship date of the 14th now. The original order was for a P1 with stage 2 intercooler. Something happened to their supplier of the intercooler cores (I was told that a machine broke or something). Plus my kit was waiting for a silicone tube. The process has left me a little frustrated but their customer service team has been nice and willing to communicate. They did upgrade me to the race intercooler free of charge because of this, except the same thing happened with that intercooler. It's been a long month though, I'll tell you that. And even with these setbacks from all the research I've gathered, it's a good company and a really good product.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you plan on ordering one, I wouldn't wait. And to your original question, the P1 is just fine even after you do fuel upgrades. Once you start pushing more PSI and heading north of 650whp, you will have more expensive things to worry about before the head unit. Like forged internals. Also you can always upgrade the head unit, but sure how much that costs though. As far as noise is concerned, I went with helical gears as my buddies Silverado with straight cut gears sounds like it has a bad alternator or something at idle. It's not the same sound as a PD whine at idle. It does sound good while under acceleration though. And the race Bypass valve is loud and in my opinion sounds cool.
Eyefixstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #9
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
P1-X with the stage 2 intercooler and helical gears. Extremely happy with it. Not too loud, but just enough that those that are familiar with that sound will know what it is . My opinion is be careful when selecting a HU. Bigger isn't always better. Get what works for your goals!
Old 08-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Sol4rfl4re
Banned

Nothing wrong with the p1, just consider the price of stepping up later vs now. Now a D1 is like 200 at time of purchase, going to a D1 later is ~1500.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #11
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Raceproven is doing a D1X, Race Intercooler and Big Red for me. Wont be in till late August or so. I went with the D1X for a few reasons..

I'm doing drop in pistons, cam and headers as well with the plan being around 12psi. My goal is to eventually do a forged bottom end and with that in mind I wanna see how close to 1000whp I can get. So the D1X seemed to be the best option with the most modern tech they offer. It should make a noise at idle and give me that street sweeper sound off throttle I love
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
Raceproven is doing a D1X, Race Intercooler and Big Red for me. Wont be in till late August or so. I went with the D1X for a few reasons..

I'm doing drop in pistons, cam and headers as well with the plan being around 12psi. My goal is to eventually do a forged bottom end and with that in mind I wanna see how close to 1000whp I can get. So the D1X seemed to be the best option with the most modern tech they offer. It should make a noise at idle and give me that street sweeper sound off throttle I love
You may want to consider driveshaft/rearend upgrades at that HP level as you probably know. I'd hate to do a pull against a mustang just to break shit and be embarrassed lol
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Detroit Muscle

Thanks for all the input guys!

Stainless Power Headers, High Flow Cats, CAI intake, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Dyno tune from Alternative Performance

Last edited by Detroit Muscle; 08-08-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #14
Detroit Muscle

So if I go to with the D-1SC , stage 2 intercooler, and race bypass valve and I plan to always stay at 7 psi, i should be plenty safe right?? (I love the sound of a procharger that's why I want the D-1SC and no helical gears)