Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #1
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Prochargers and Oil Catch cans

Just curious what the procharged owners thoughts are on using an oil catch can. I currently have the mishimoto installed and realize it will be in the way when I go to do my install in a couple weeks. Is there a way to reroute it to a new location or does having FI change the game and affect the way a CC typically works so it's not needed?

Thanks!
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
It is needed, the head's ventilation has an air-oil separator, but there is nothing for the crankcase ventilation.

You would install the CC between the crankcase and the check valve, before the vaccum manifold and from there to the Air Filter. You will need longer hoses and a place to put the bracket and CC itself, there is plenty of room in the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Dysan911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post
It is needed, the head's ventilation has an air-oil separator, but there is nothing for the crankcase ventilation.

You would install the CC between the crankcase and the check valve, before the vaccum manifold and from there to the Air Filter. You will need longer hoses and a place to put the bracket and CC itself, there is plenty of room in the right (passenger) side of the engine compartment.

Cool ok thanks. I'll figure out how to get it mounted. Mine definitely catches oil. I think my oil monitor was at 50% and I checked it and got a few ounces out of it. Otherwise, would have been sucked into the intake and not only lower the octane but also gunk up my valves.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 05-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
That's weird, Procharger (Erik), says he does not use a CC on the LT1... Anyone able to provide evidence of needing one? I don't currently run one.

Right now there is the small factory box that the Procharger's filter hose is connected to. Is this letting oil into the system?
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Right now there is the small factory box that the Procharger's filter hose is connected to. Is this letting oil into the system?
Not that one, but the PCV that's connected behind the throttle body is definitely letting oil into the intake manifold.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
blkbeauty16

Drives: 2019 zl1
You will not be able to use your current cc. I'm waiting on my pro charger also and been looking into mighty mouse solutions for one. They don't currently show one for pro charges but still doing research.
blkbeauty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
exxit

Hopefully Erik will chime in with some tried and true knowledge bombs on this one. He's been procharging the LT1 for a fairly long time now. (unless the camaro LT1 has a different PCV system, then back to the drawing board i guess)

I recall him saying the stock PCV system will suffice... and after a search someone else's tuner said you want a bit of oil in a DFI setup to lube the intake valves?

I know our insanely fast female driven 6GEN M6 has a catch can... So many opinions, so little facts as far as I know -_-

Last edited by exxit; 05-16-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: More words
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Dysan911

Last FI car I had. Turbo with 20lbs on an Inline 4 DI and the tuner would not touch it unless it had dual Oil Catch cans. One for the intake side and the other for the PCV. I can't imagine wanting any oil in the intake of a DI motor.

Both CC's were similar to the Mishimoto. Sealed and didn't seem to have an issue with crankcase pressure.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Cdflyer

Drives: 2016 1SS 6speed
The DI engines require a little bit of oil on the valves for lubricant. It's the same as every other engine. With PFI you don't have the funk issues since fuel is sprayed right on the valve which is why they have all the detergents in fuel now. Back in the day, they used lead in the fuel to lubricate the valves, so the PCV system wasn't needed.

About the only solution I can come up with is to run a top end cleaner.....not sea foam.....once every 10-20,000 miles. According to one Chevy tech I know, at 20,000 miles the valves start to look like they have 80,000 on them.

Take it for what you will. I don't believe a catch can will solve the issue.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
VAZL1

Drives: 17 ZL1
This is a pretty informative read on the subject.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rged-base.html
Old 05-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
exxit

I run pure meth right now as it is... I doubt anything makes it alive considering I'm spraying straight into the charge pipe
Old 05-16-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
I run pure meth right now as it is... I doubt anything makes it alive considering I'm spraying straight into the charge pipe
If the Meth is used often, it could do the trick by itself. If you do a lot of city driving and extended periods out of wot, it may not. The only way to really know how your intakes and valves are doing is by checking them, a complex process, that is why many people choose to use CCs.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:26 PM   #13
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAyalaM View Post

Do you have any pictures of your setup?