Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Any downside to Hurst Short Throw Shifter?

Hey guys, at some point in the not too distant future, I’ll be installing my ZLE rear cradle bushings, and will probably throw on a Hurst short throw shifter while I’m at it since the car will already be in the air with the exhaust and possibly DS out of the way.
I’m slightly apprehensive about the shifter since I am completely satisfied with the stocker, however, I suppose there’s always room for improvement. I picked the Hurst new in the box from another member a while back and I’m sure I can re-sell it and get my money back if I decide not to install it.
I’ve read several favorable reports, which is encouraging, but I’m curious if anyone regrets going with the Hurst and if so, why?
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Sorry can’t comment on this. From what I’ve read, the install process seems to be the only downside. Although when you already have the car up on the lift and driveshaft and exhaust out of the way, I’d personally do it.

Looking forward to hear what other members who has actually done the install has to say.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I was satisfied with the oem shifter as well and was nervous to make a mistake. I got the hurst and my only regret was not doing it sooner
Thanks for the info. I've gotten enough positive feedback to ease my mind about the shifter swap! Next time I jack the car, I'll be changing the oil, diff fluid, installing ZLE rear cradle bushings, and the Hurst shifter - it's such a pain in the ass to jack these cars, that I like to make the most of it every time I have her in the air!
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 04-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I've gotten enough positive feedback to ease my mind about the shifter swap! Next time I jack the car, I'll be changing the oil, diff fluid, installing ZLE rear cradle bushings, and the Hurst shifter - it's such a pain in the ass to jack these cars, that I like to make the most of it every time I have her in the air!
Amen!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #5
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Amen!
Added a couple more under-car mods to my list: 1LE sway bars and end links. I’d have done the full FE4 kit if I wasn’t nervous about how it would work without the MRC reflash which is not available on ’16 models.
For anyone else interested in the sway bars, you can save quite a bit by ordering the parts separately. Gmpartsnow has the kit (part# 84401188) for $419.51, individual parts are $332.63. While the savings are significant for parts vs. kit, the real savings is in the shipping costs. $132 for the kit vs. $26 for the parts. Apparently, the kit is packaged together in a very large box.
GMpartsdirect has slightly better pricing, $388.88 for the kit, 313.54 for the parts, but the damn shipping is $215 for the kit and $64 for the parts. I’m sure the shipping will vary depending on location, but I would think the prices would be relative.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #6
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
I installed my Hurst shifter in July 2016 and I still love it. I did mine on jackstands. I thought hardest part was taking out the lock pins to remove stock shifter, they are spring loaded and hard to reach. I made a sharpie mark on the pin so I would know where the spring loaded barb was, so I could hold that down with small flat blade screwdriver to get it thru both bushings. I even had to get my Wife to help. I thought taking exhaust and driveshaft down was fairly simple compared to those darn little pins. But it is very worth it, nice short shifts that click in. Also need to take transmission cross-brace loose or down I don't remember, but the tranny needs to drop a bit for access. Instructions are pretty good. I noticed the shifter cost about $50 more now than when I bought it.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I installed my Hurst shifter in July 2016 and I still love it. I did mine on jackstands. I thought hardest part was taking out the lock pins to remove stock shifter, they are spring loaded and hard to reach. I made a sharpie mark on the pin so I would know where the spring loaded barb was, so I could hold that down with small flat blade screwdriver to get it thru both bushings. I even had to get my Wife to help. I thought taking exhaust and driveshaft down was fairly simple compared to those darn little pins. But it is very worth it, nice short shifts that click in. Also need to take transmission cross-brace loose or down I don't remember, but the tranny needs to drop a bit for access. Instructions are pretty good. I noticed the shifter cost about $50 more now than when I bought it.
Thanks for the tips. I'll let everyone know how I make out probably won't get to it for a while as the rear sway bar is back ordered. I don't want to start until I have everything.

BTW, I see you're in VA. What part? I grew up in Chesterfield county.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
Vermillion19SS

Drives: 19 Chevy Camaro SS, 18 VW Tiguan
I love my Hurst shifter, it’s “stiffer” so if you don’t want a stiffer engagement into each gear you may want to steer clear. But if you don’t mind a change in feel the shorter throw is 100% worth it. Have about 5000 miles with the Hurst in and not a problem.
Vermillion19SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
Ponyeatr16ss
retired badass

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Ponyeatr16ss Send a message via Yahoo to Ponyeatr16ss
I just did full Kooks, solid engine mounts, an E85 kit and Hurst shifter in two days work. Way easier than my 2001. Next will be a trip to NC for a tune then I’m gonna toss heads/cam and a Maggie at her.
Ponyeatr16ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
DO NOT DO IT. You will hate it. Oh, btw, I will buy it from you, lol!!
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillion19SS View Post
I love my Hurst shifter, it’s “stiffer” so if you don’t want a stiffer engagement into each gear you may want to steer clear. But if you don’t mind a change in feel the shorter throw is 100% worth it. Have about 5000 miles with the Hurst in and not a problem.
I agree, this seems to be the only trade-off that I've noticed. The shift effort is higher particularly when shifting from in gear back to neutral. I think this is an acceptable trade-off though considered the improvement in "shifting precision", for lack of better words. This increased effort is never noticeable on track, but it's noticeable after you first install it when just shifting leisurely.

At the last CamaroFest (8) that I was at, they had a SS manual and V6 1LE that I had the opportunity to shift through the gears while parked. I had been with the Hurst setup for so long that I forgot how long (not a bad thing) and relatively sloppy the stock shifter felt in comparison.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:01 PM   #12
L78toLT1

Well, now i know what I'll be doing this weekend! GMpartsnow just sent me an e-mail that my 1LE sway bars arrived and will ship tomorrow. I'll be installing these along with my ZLE cradle biushings and hurst shifter.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
So YOU'RE the one that bought it a few months back. I was going to pull the trigger when I saw it, did my research and questioned it as well. (if it was worth it) By the time i finished and decided to put it into my inventory of parts for when I have to replace my clutch, it was gone. One hell of a deal! and if you decide its not for you. I will gladly bulk up your wallet.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
So YOU'RE the one that bought it a few months back. I was going to pull the trigger when I saw it, did my research and questioned it as well. (if it was worth it) By the time i finished and decided to put it into my inventory of parts for when I have to replace my clutch, it was gone. One hell of a deal! and if you decide its not for you. I will gladly bulk up your wallet.
I feel your pain! I've procrastinated and missed many a good deal myself. I am currently using all the self control I can muster not to pick up those $1,800 1LE wheels currently listed in the classified section!