Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-13-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
kraut1971
BITCHN Camaro

Drives: SOLD! Back in the looking zone...
K&N Cold Air Intake Kit: No ECU Tune Required

Has anyone installed the K&N CAI? It's by far the best priced system I've seen so far (~$300 on Amazon) and claim that no ECU tune required. Interested to hear if anyone has this and if they're happy with the results...
Old 03-13-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I'm interested in this as well. Looking at the K&N myself
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #3
Sicilian Medic

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel Metallic
I have the K & N Typhoon on my '19 RS and have had no issues so far. I'm sure a tune would optimize the overall performance, with or without the CAI.
Sicilian Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
I have had the K&N Typhoon installed on my V6 now for over 6k miles. No issues. I have had a tune included after installing an 80mm throttle body and ported intake manifold just under 1k miles ago. Still no issues.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Jvert18

Drives: 18 2LT RS V6 M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian Medic View Post
I have the K & N Typhoon on my '19 RS and have had no issues so far. I'm sure a tune would optimize the overall performance, with or without the CAI.
Same here, no regrets
Jvert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Cold Air Inductions

Has anyone heard anything about Cold Air Inductions? Their kit seems a little better than K & N. From what I can see...

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...extured-black/
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
K&N, cold air and Roto fab are some of the best. Get anyone in your price range and usually don’t need a tune with any of them.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
Your tune needs to rescaled to take advantage of the larger intake of air. Just because you don't get a CEL doesn't mean you don't need a tune.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the maf measures airflow and if the specs around it are within tolerances of the stock tune, then the amount of air that is getting to the engine is fully accounted for whether you're in the stock tune or not.

Tunes for intakes are needed if you're outside of those tolerances and so the constants that the tune uses to determine air flow and density end up being wrong to varying degrees.

Any other change in performance from a tune has nothing to do with the intake. Our stock intakes are not anemic or restrictive (especially if you've dropped in a gauze filter). The maf is more than capable of measuring the air getting to the engine regardless of how much air that is (at least in non-FI) so long as the constants haven't changed and when they do, it doesn't take much for it throw a code.

tldr; if you throw a code, you need a recal of your tune or fix whatever installation mistake you made. If you dont, then you're fine. CAI's are for show more than function in these cars since the stock intake is a CAI. You're really just swapping filters.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
MISTAPOWA

Drives: camaro rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
the maf measures airflow and if the specs around it are within tolerances of the stock tune, then the amount of air that is getting to the engine is fully accounted for whether you're in the stock tune or not.

Tunes for intakes are needed if you're outside of those tolerances and so the constants that the tune uses to determine air flow and density end up being wrong to varying degrees.

Any other change in performance from a tune has nothing to do with the intake. Our stock intakes are not anemic or restrictive (especially if you've dropped in a gauze filter). The maf is more than capable of measuring the air getting to the engine regardless of how much air that is (at least in non-FI) so long as the constants haven't changed and when they do, it doesn't take much for it throw a code.

tldr; if you throw a code, you need a recal of your tune or fix whatever installation mistake you made. If you dont, then you're fine. CAI's are for show more than function in these cars since the stock intake is a CAI. You're really just swapping filters.
Even if you don't throw a hard code, the a/f is still off from the ECU trying to compensate. The GM intake with no rescale will have the a/f's all over under WOT according to the sniffer. Even though after a few drive cycles it doesn't set a permeant DTC, it will will show in a scanner off and on as a pending.
MISTAPOWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
The gm intake specifically alters the diameter around the maf and tells you that the intake requires a recal to compensate. Not actually triggering a code with it is an exception.

For intakes that are marketed to not require a recal, they mimic the air bridge diameter and position very closely to stock. Any variation in the AF at WOT with them would not be on par with the GM intake or any other intake that mentioned that you needed a recal for.

that's an apples to oranges comparison you're making.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
I have had only K&N in all my Camaros. Love it! 2011 2SS, 2012 2SS, 2013 2SS, 2017 V6, 2018 V6 and now my 2020 2SS.
Easy install, great price.
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote