Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #1
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
DIY Protective Film Installation

Looking for feedback from any members who have, with no prior experience, installed Expel or other protective film. I understand that this is a very labor-intensive process, but is it very difficult for a first timer? I picked up some ZL1 takeoff wheels & tires and am concerned about the larger & stickier tires sandblasting the sides of the car. I already have ZL1 addons rock guards but would like to add Expel to the more vulnerable areas before my first track session with the new tires.
I should point out that the disassembly portion of this project is not a problem, I have decades of experience along those lines. I’ve had the front fascia off this car so often that I think I could do it in 20 minutes while blindfolded. My car is strictly a toy, so time is not an issue. I just don’t want to risk screwing anything up.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If you practice on some flat surfaces first, maybe watch a few youtube installs, it's possible to do a good job... but unless you're really handy the front bumper won't be perfect. The front bumper is a huge pita and took as long as doing everything else.

Curves are tricky but also cutting the film is not easy. You'll want either a bunch of scalpels or those utility knives where the blades break off in sections, using the black coated sharper blades instead of the regular blades. The film dulls the blade really fast. One trick I learned along the way is you can use the edge of a squeegee as a surface to cut the film on... this was really handy for doing the leading edge of the roof where you want the film to wrap around the curve but not go so far as to hit the windshield. It took me 2 tries to get this piece done.

If I was to do it again I might pay a pro to do the front bumper and do the rest myself. Good luck!

Oh also, I got a precut kit for the front end and bulk material for everything else. I used 3M PRO but would would use Suntek today. You may have to call and ask a shop for precut pieces, they have been sold online but most won't do it anymore as customers seem to rate them low because they can't do the install properly.
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #3
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I had a trained guy do my front and he screwed it up pretty bad. Overlapping lines, air bubbles, too close to seams. He didn't have much experience but I would definitely have the front done by a professional.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Thanks for the info, guys. Having the front fascia done professionally is probably the way to go. I'm reasonably confident i can do the rest of the car myself. If the material was free, I'd practice on my dd beater mazda 6.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:48 AM   #5
peteric

Drives: 2016 camaro
A pro did mine and I was pleased with the result.
peteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
My CF grille and Splitter are PPF covered, along with the bumper cover and inlets...$850 bucks to do that mess, and it is Perfect.
NO WAY I would have even attempted!
Attached Images

Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote