Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-27-2023, 11:27 PM   #1
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Power for Radardetectors etc. - why not the upper console?

I'm not affiliated; but in a GenDIY video they show some custom go-between cable for switched power

Is the 2019+ car any different? I mean I know it doesn't have home link but it has a console up there. Could I find a switched 12v in there in one of those plugs? Is there some knowledge of this I've missed?

It seems the other wire they sell runs all the way from the passenger footwell up. This seems like a bit of a hassle compared to dropping the upper console (which is surely getting power, and is near the power rear view mirror).
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:20 AM   #2
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
From 2019 up the overhead waa changed and there's no power to tap off of. I have the gen v diy harness it's not bad. I think I heard there's switched power in the front window pillars, but not sure
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
Standard

There's a bunch of little buttons, and even light bulbs up there - was it switched to some voltage lower than 12?
Old 08-28-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
Standard

Note - not recommending any of this but an example of people taking 12v out of the rear view mirror on the Corvette which looks the same as Camaro:

But the risks and something you can mess up:

Old 08-28-2023, 06:18 PM   #5
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I looked into this for my Valentine 1 a couple months ago. From what I read here and elsewhere, there is no 12v power at the mirror on the 2019+ cars. Apparently the voltages around the rear view mirror vary from 4-6 volts. The easiest solution seems to run your wire to the driver's side to get 12v. You can pay $80 for the pre-made harness, which is ridiculous imho. For now I'm just plugged into the 12v outlet by the armrest.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:29 AM   #6
Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
I looked into this for my Valentine 1 a couple months ago. From what I read here and elsewhere, there is no 12v power at the mirror on the 2019+ cars. Apparently the voltages around the rear view mirror vary from 4-6 volts. The easiest solution seems to run your wire to the driver's side to get 12v. You can pay $80 for the pre-made harness, which is ridiculous imho. For now I'm just plugged into the 12v outlet by the armrest.
Do you mean the Gen5DIY passthrough cable-plug that goes from under the dash around the *Passenger* side, or a different product? I'm interested in going from the drivers side especially if I end up too with some OBD-II-using Camera.

WRT running a cable up the center of the console out of the cig lighter. I set that temporarily on my last car. . . it's still there 13 years later :(
Old 08-29-2023, 06:29 AM   #7
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
If you want to save money, buy a radar hardwiring kit off Amazon for $15, run down driverside pillar and hook up to your fuse box woth an add a fuse
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #8
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
Do you mean the Gen5DIY passthrough cable-plug that goes from under the dash around the *Passenger* side, or a different product? I'm interested in going from the drivers side especially if I end up too with some OBD-II-using Camera.

WRT running a cable up the center of the console out of the cig lighter. I set that temporarily on my last car. . . it's still there 13 years later :(
Yes, sorry meant to say Passenger side. I plan to make my own harness when I have some spare time. Not paying $85 for that.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:57 AM   #9
Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Yes, sorry meant to say Passenger side. I plan to make my own harness when I have some spare time. Not paying $85 for that.
I figure the trick there was they had shop manuals and knew the right plug and what each pin meant. I would probably want to run a few wire cores up instead of 2. Barring some advanced knowledge, if the console is easy to lift I'd rather run switched 12V from the cig lighter itself (I lament how 'tall' every cig lighter plug is, I'd love something flush).