Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #1
Maroon 6.2L SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
transbrake/2 step

What is the "advantage" of someone using a transbrake and/or 2 step vs someone who is leaving on idle with no footbraking in bracket racing? I believe I understand the concept of the transbrake and/or 2 step, but I'm not sure I understand the "advantage", if one?

I leave at idle in sportsmans class, no footbraking, and have been fortunate to catch pretty "consistent" lights that are under 0.050. I'm thinking of moving up to modified class next year and was wondering the advantages as described above.

Thanks!!!
Maroon 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
The transbrake with a 2 step lets you build boost at the line before the hit with turbo cars since you are putting the motor under load. The transmission is literally pulling itself apart in 2 different directions, forward and reverse. Leaving off idle you aren't building any boost, and with footbraking you are limited to whatever your converter will allow for raising the rpms and there is always that chance you will accidentally push through the brakes and possibly red light. The 2 step gives you the really consistent launches. No one ever seems to run a transbrake with the 6L80 though, I haven't heard of one being made for it. You usually see 4L80s and TH400s with the transbrake. Its just me, but I wouldn't trust the 6L80 with a transbrake past 700rwhp. Sounds like 3..2..1.. BOOM to me, IMO
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
Maroon 6.2L SS

Thanks for the explanation!!!
Old 07-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
Maroon 6.2L SS

Does anybody use a two step with a torque converter and no trans brake?
Old 07-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
GM 6L and 8L transbrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
The transbrake with a 2 step lets you build boost at the line before the hit with turbo cars since you are putting the motor under load. The transmission is literally pulling itself apart in 2 different directions, forward and reverse. Leaving off idle you aren't building any boost, and with footbraking you are limited to whatever your converter will allow for raising the rpms and there is always that chance you will accidentally push through the brakes and possibly red light. The 2 step gives you the really consistent launches. No one ever seems to run a transbrake with the 6L80 though, I haven't heard of one being made for it. You usually see 4L80s and TH400s with the transbrake. Its just me, but I wouldn't trust the 6L80 with a transbrake past 700rwhp. Sounds like 3..2..1.. BOOM to me, IMO
This is part true and part not true. It is more common to use a transbrake in the more common 2, 3 and 4 speed automatics. This is largely due to marketing and overall awareness and parts availability and cost.

The good news is that there is a transbrake for the 6L and the 8L GM transmissions...........

https://getawaycarz.com/

There is not much information on the dependability or the needed part upgrades. I have talked to a popular local Houston based performance oriented transmission shop and the information from customers is mixed. Information about the customers actual experience and expectations compared to or with other transbrakes was stated as unknown. Any Transmission Control Module tune calibrations compared to stock are also unknown.

It still seems to still be a closely guarded secret for the 6L and 8Ls by the majority of users and the set up has some real genuine stealth. If going this route definitely recommend ALL of the transmission upgrades and a transmission cooler if not already equipped. The upgrades will allow for the greater than stock internal torque loads while the cooler will deal with the heat build up. Typical failure has been often due to RPM launch settings, temporary loss of oil/fluid intake due to launch, standing on the transbrake button too long known as burning down the transmission due to the massive heat that build up quickly with a transbrake.

Also suggested would be a 1 piece aluminum or chrome moly driveshaft and an upgrade in the half shafts if still equipped. The shock of the transbrake hit to everything else depending on power will be brutal to the rest of the drivetrain and rear suspension. This is where the preloading of torque to the drivetrain has an advantage.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Awesome explanation and info! If people are running a brake with the 6L80 I wonder what their timeslips are reading. The tried and true combo looks like the 4L80 or the TH400, whether they are leaving on the brake or not. Less shifts and bulletproof durability too.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon 6.2L SS View Post
Does anybody use a two step with a torque converter and no trans brake?
I am pretty sure it is being done on OG cars and new muscle. The last I remember LPE has a two-step system for that can be used with our cars. It makes sense that it would offer up some more consistency for the 60FT times. Again, this is something that not too many people here have been talking about or maybe I am too lazy to search or both. My apologies. A word from the wise, be very detailed about the wiring and doing it right the first time. Electrical problems tend to haunt for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Awesome explanation and info! If people are running a brake with the 6L80 I wonder what their timeslips are reading. The tried and true combo looks like the 4L80 or the TH400, whether they are leaving on the brake or not. Less shifts and bulletproof durability too.
Thank you for the compliment. The 60FT times have to be better. There is just too much data for the 2, 3, and 4 speed automatics that show improvements. In terms of the physics....there has to be an improvement. Vaguely remembering, a few guys at the website provided have some test information. I hope the post gets to stay but who knows... It is information that I have been hoarding in the brain cave for at least 3 years. It is a wonder no one anywhere has ever mentioned these 6L and 8L transbrakes and the above mentioned supplier I think is the only one known in existence.

The more common ticket like you say is the TH400 with the Gear Vendors overdrive. Commonly found in the drag week cars. SFI approved cases also make it desirable in lieu of a blanket or shield and it is an easy transmission to rebuild, and parts are common to find. The 4L80 comes in the electronic module assisted and then there is the more simplified full manual shift version. Both can be adapted to transbrake use.

An additional piece of information is that even the 2, 3, and 4 speed transmissions require a complete tear down and build upgrade for the custom transbrake valve body to be installed. Again, even as proven and popular as these transmissions are, they too will require a good transmission cooler set up to help manage the heat build up that happens with the use of the transbrake.

I have yet to talk directly someone with first hand experience about using the 6L and 8L transbrake. I may eventually go down the path but I am still use to heel toe of the automatic. It limits me on the preload RPM and converter flash but it saves me on parts.

Last edited by PoleCat2SSRS2010; 07-21-2021 at 05:10 AM.
PoleCat2SSRS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #8
Wafi

Drives: 2013 chevrolet Camaro A6 ZL1
Does anybody use a lingenfelier 2 step
With torque convertor in 6L90??

I installed 2 step in my A6 ZL1 and i have circle D torque convertor 2800 stall speed but I don’t know how I can setup the 2 step In the drag
Wafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:51 PM   #9
4SFED6.0

Drives: 1991 Camaro
I have been using the getawaycarz trans brake in my 6l90e for 2 seasons , it has been working well so far. With the module turned on my left paddle shifter activates the trans brake and 2 step while the right paddle acts as a bump box. Makes staging a turbo car very consistent.
4SFED6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:56 PM   #10
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
ahhhhh interesting
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #11
roh

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SFED6.0 View Post
I have been using the getawaycarz trans brake in my 6l90e for 2 seasons , it has been working well so far. With the module turned on my left paddle shifter activates the trans brake and 2 step while the right paddle acts as a bump box. Makes staging a turbo car very consistent.
"Bump box"?
As in disengaging reverse to allow you to bump into the staging beams?
roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
One of the biggest reasons to use a 2-step is consistency. It obviously has a place for building boost in turbo cars, but it's a great tool to help get the same result, time after time, no matter what the aspiration (natural, turbo, nitrous, etc). With a 2-step, you eliminate a couple variables in the launch sequence - you have a consistent RPM, and a consistent power setting (usually wide open). With those two variables "locked" you now have something much more repeatable, and you can dial that launch RPM up or down to suit track conditions.

With a more powerful car, it's often going to be used in conjunction with some other forms of power management (ignition retard, boost ramp, etc), but the idea remains the same, you're eliminating driver controlled variables and locking them in, so you can get the same result every time.

You can use a 2-step with a trans brake car, foot brake car, and even clutch cars. I love seeing them used for those purposes. And I HATE seeing them used for "pops and bangs" at the car meets where not a car in sight has ever taken a starting line.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #13
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh View Post
"Bump box"?
As in disengaging reverse to allow you to bump into the staging beams?
Yes

Watch any turbo car race and you'll see it light the top light and start spooling. Then come the pops and bangs from the 2 step and the car will lurch forward one or two more time to hit the beam and light the bottom bulb. That's the bump box activation... Aka bumping in.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #14
SFR7771
Drag and Drive is Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS A6 LS3 Whipple
Will a 2 step help you not hurt the transmission as much? I'm supercharged 800 plus hp!

2010 2SS/RS/ Mods, Whipple, 1000cc injector, 102MM TB, Innovation West 10% OD pulley set up 8 rib, AGP twin 450 fuel system w flex on E85, CAI K&N, LT with OR Cats aka no catalytic converters, Coils and wires, 3" exhaust with mufflers, Oil catch can, 2015 ZL1 9.9 3.23 ratio, BMR upper Lower control arms, 15"conversion, BMR Anti Roll Bar 315/60/15 ET street slicks

1972 El Camino SS 565BBC 950HP, All TRZ suspension
SFR7771 is offline   Reply With Quote