Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-07-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
2018 A8 Paddle shifter issue?

A buddy of mine has a 2018 vert 2SS with the A8. This car has the feature where you can be in drive, use the paddle shifters for a little bit and override into manual mode, then it automatically shifts back to drive. Its essentially a temporary manual mode until the car realizes you are no longer driving aggressively.

What is cool is when you just hold the left paddle, it downshifts to the optimum gear that gives you the highest RPM at that speed so you can get up and go. His does this........but only some of the time. Sometimes he can click and hold it and it goes down 1 gear. Sometimes it will go to the lowest gear. Sometimes it does nothing.

He keeps the car in sport mode the entire time and the shifter in drive.

Anyone else experience this? Where should he look?
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
As far as I am aware that feature is only usable when you push the shifter/stick over into the manual shift mode. So you knock it over, and then start using the paddles, hold shift down and it will go to the lowest gear possible at your speed.

It isn't possible to do with while in drive. You can use the paddles temporarily and it will eventually go back in to regular drive, but you cannot do the hold down trick.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstcause View Post
As far as I am aware that feature is only usable when you push the shifter/stick over into the manual shift mode. So you knock it over, and then start using the paddles, hold shift down and it will go to the lowest gear possible at your speed.

It isn't possible to do with while in drive. You can use the paddles temporarily and it will eventually go back in to regular drive, but you cannot do the hold down trick.
This is what I thought be he says he never puts the shifter to manual mode. It works randomly when just in drive according to him
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by artey34 View Post
This is what I thought be he says he never puts the shifter to manual mode. It works randomly when just in drive according to him
could it be that hes in temp manual mode already when it does work? in other words you need that first click into temp manual mode before the hold shift thing works maybe?

just a shot in the dark.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
Gutling

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0 LT
I know it will not work in D not manual mode. But I have never tried to make it go into temp manual mode then try it, that may be what is happening
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
For sure thats what's up. Shift with the paddle once to kick it in temp manual mode and then shift down and hold to drop it to the lowest gear. Also when in temp manual mode you can click and hold the shift up and it will go back to D.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by squish72 View Post
For sure thats what's up. Shift with the paddle once to kick it in temp manual mode and then shift down and hold to drop it to the lowest gear. Also when in temp manual mode you can click and hold the shift up and it will go back to D.
This is correct. You can't go from "D" mode to "hold and drop to lowest gear mode" without first putting the car in temporary manual shift mode with a click. I'm sure this is some kind of safety feature to make sure you want to be manually shifting before dropping down 6 gears to 2nd on the freeway.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote