Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #57
mmadden2

Drives: '12 LaCrosse, '14 Encore, '17 2SS
I like the idea of doing my own work but...

When it's time I'll be taking the Camaro (and donuts) to the dealer for their 2 free service visits that come with the purchase of the car. If they break it, I'm sure they'll fix it.

After that, I assume I'll be doing what I do with my other cars... purchase Mobil 1 EP in 5qt jugs from Walmart, and a M1 EP filter from Walmart, and wait for the dealer to change it out for me. My dealership is great about me bringing my own oil/filter and only charges $20. I walk across the street, have a little McD breakfast and it's no sweat for me.

I guess the dealer could horribly screw up the car but they currently have 70 Camaros on the lot for sale along with at least a dozen Corvettes. I'm pretty sure they will know how to pick it up correctly (better than I would) and give it the attention it needs.

Top shelf oil $50 for 10qts + $10 filter + $20 labor = $80. It's usually only a yearly thing, not a bad deal in my mind. Who knows what else they do under there, maybe lubing any spots that need it. I wouldn't even know where to look.

I do generally like to take a couple dozen donuts with me whenever I drop off a car for service and everyone seems grateful for that and eager to make me happy. I guess they could be ruining my cars behind the scenes but so far so good.

Over and over I've gotten great deals on work because of the donuts. My service tech lets me know when they are running their once-a-year "buy 3 tires get 1 free" (this usually gets you down to Tirerack pricing, but since you purchased them through the dealer it comes with free lifetime rotations), and he's gone to bat for me countless times with my Buicks which have had considerable warranty issues.

My LaCrosse is now 6 years old and well out of warranty. I recently got a water pump replaced in my LaCrosse for $150 a few months ago (parts & labor!), "since my car's only been out of warranty for a little over a year". I'm pretty sure that was an amazing deal.

I bought my LaCrosse a replacement OEM battery at the dealership (my service adviser always automatically applies any current coupons they have). I think I paid about $150 for that too, but since it's bought at the dealership, it has lifetime free replacements.

My wife's Encore was out of warranty by 4 months and the Nav screen started spinning in circles. No problem, close enough to warranty date, free replacement head unit.

I like keeping the dealership folks happy since I'm never going to be able to diagnose all the crazy crap that goes wrong with these modern cars. I don't know what those Nav head units costs but it'll be 50 years before the techs can eat enough donuts to pay that back
Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #58
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
no....see fred at reverselogic.....

http://www.reverselogic.us/stahlbus.html

Thanks. Pretty cool.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:04 AM   #59
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Do it yourself. I don't trust the monkeys at the dealer to change my wiper blades let alone my oil.
I think your forgetting some very important qualities - they are very highly trained, they are usually still in or just out of high school and the dealer gave them a whole day of training.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #60
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
I think your forgetting some very important qualities - they are very highly trained, they are usually still in or just out of high school and the dealer gave them a whole day of training.
My apologies..... very HIGHLY trained monkeys!

Maybe GM should change the name of their service department from Mr. Goodwrench to Mrs. Goodall?
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #61
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #62
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
My apologies..... very HIGHLY trained monkeys!

Maybe GM should change the name of their service department from Mr. Goodwrench to Mrs. Goodall?
I would trust her chimpanzee's more though.

on a more serious note: it is really sad that virtually nobody can trust others to do work on their car. yes, some of us have found "the one", this is true, but for a vast majority of car owners, it's a crap shoot.

one anecdote: last year I took my 2013 Pilot to a local shop that "Specializes in and only works on Honda / Acura", they were highly recommended by local community (nextdoor site). I had them do several fluid changes, including rear diff. After they did their work, I had a popping sound from rear each time I accelerated. I took it back - they admitted to putting wrong fluid in. I mean...this is a HONDA shop that doesn't know what type of fluid goes into the rear diff...

anyway, as far as i'm concerned...they are all shit bags who could care less about other's property, it's sad and cynical, but it's me.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #63
modru2004

Drives: 2018 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigss50 View Post
I am guessing you put a funnel in the milk jugs but what happens when it is full and have to put another jug in place to prevent spillage?
i use an oil pan and transfer to the jugs after. i dont go straight into the jugs from the car.
modru2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #64
fastball
Banned

Quote:
I would trust her chimpanzee's more though.

on a more serious note: it is really sad that virtually nobody can trust others to do work on their car. yes, some of us have found "the one", this is true, but for a vast majority of car owners, it's a crap shoot.

one anecdote: last year I took my 2013 Pilot to a local shop that "Specializes in and only works on Honda / Acura", they were highly recommended by local community (nextdoor site). I had them do several fluid changes, including rear diff. After they did their work, I had a popping sound from rear each time I accelerated. I took it back - they admitted to putting wrong fluid in. I mean...this is a HONDA shop that doesn't know what type of fluid goes into the rear diff...

anyway, as far as i'm concerned...they are all shit bags who could care less about other's property, it's sad and cynical, but it's me.
Mechanics are on a time table. The book says "X job to be completed in 2.5 hours". So they charge you 3 hours labor and go as fast as they can to push it out the door, in many cases well under the book time. They essentially work piece meal, like commission sales. And warranty jobs are the worst for them because the manufacturer underestimates the hours on major jobs so the dealer/mechanics feel they're getting screwed.

Oil changes are literally given to the monkeys. The kids who've never turned a wrench. They don't give a rats arse if their arse is full of grease when they sit in your car or if they get oil all over your valve covers or hell even if the oil level is right (I've read plenty of cases of people driving their Camaro SSs home and check the oil to find it's 4+ quarts down).

I cringe at the thought of anything happening to my car that would require me to bring it to ANY dealer for warranty work. I don't care how good the reviews are of any car dealer in America, I don't trust a single one.

I knock on wood and hope it never happens. And then after the warranty is up the best you can hope for is like you said, find "the one" mechanic who is knowledgeable, intelligent, patient, and careful.

Get own tools within reason without spending tens of thousands of dollars to do your own maintenance and can do minor to medium repairs all by yourself. Invest in the Helms manual. Learn the best resources to buy the GM factory parts for the best price on line. This way, you know you did it right, you're going to take care of the car, and you're not going to be rushed.

Kudos to the GM engineers though. Changing spark plugs, the serpentine belt, water pump, and any other routine maintenance on the LT1 is a piece of cake. Easy access to everything. Remember the 4th gen F-bodies? Half the engine was shoved under the cowl and dash board and you pretty much needed to drop it to replace the plugs.

Last edited by fastball; 06-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #65
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
No, let dealer. I'm 63 tired of climbing undr cars like I used to.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #66
HackSaw

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
I may have to drop the last reason for changing my own, for now. When i got this used Camaro the salesman ( at chevy dealer) said there wasnt any free oil changes included. So I got everything needed to change my own. But the service dept just sent me a letter saying that I do get 2 free. damn

Last edited by HackSaw; 06-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
HackSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #67
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackSaw View Post
I may have to drop the last reasons for changing my own, for now. When i got this used Camaro the salesman ( at chevy dealer) said there wasnt any free oil changes included. So I got everything needed to change my own. But the service dept just sent me a letter saying that I do get 2 free. damn
The oil you bought isn't going to go bad from sitting. I got 2 free changes when I bought mine, and I let the dealer do them.

One thing I STRONGLY recommend is when you go to pick up the car (even if you wait for it) that before you start the engine to drive away, you pop the hood and check the oil level. I found a low level doing this one time, so it is worth it.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #68
fastball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The oil you bought isn't going to go bad from sitting. I got 2 free changes when I bought mine, and I let the dealer do them.

One thing I STRONGLY recommend is when you go to pick up the car (even if you wait for it) that before you start the engine to drive away, you pop the hood and check the oil level. I found a low level doing this one time, so it is worth it.
Yep. Common problem I’ve seen since I’ve been on Camaro6. The monkeys don’t realize our system requires 10 quarts. Even though it’s right in the owners manual if the just open it. Oh that’s right, they’re highly trained so they know without looking

And people ask why I won’t even let them fill my washer fluid.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #69
MATTY-1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I am picking up my camaro tomorrow, i am thinking of doing my own oil too. I just dont think i could get the same care and quality at a dealer.

What oil does everyone use? quarts and filter? I need to order some
MATTY-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #70
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Yep. Common problem I’ve seen since I’ve been on Camaro6. The monkeys don’t realize our system requires 10 quarts. Even though it’s right in the owners manual if the just open it. Oh that’s right, they’re highly trained so they know without looking

And people ask why I won’t even let them fill my washer fluid.

To be fair, there are good and bad dealerships. It is not all a bunch of incompetent boobs and crooks. Some places try to get it right. YMMV.