Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Running 305/325 on a regular ZL1

After discussing this with Cory at Apex and using 19x11 et11 front and 19x12 et41 for the back he assures me these will fit with no issues other then relocating the wiring harness under the back wheel liner which I believe the prior owner already did.

I possibly jumped a little quick on this and bought some used gy r's from a ZLe but haven't bought the wheels yet and I'm just rethinking this a bit, wondering if I'm better off going to 19x10 and 19x11 using nitto NT01's that I've had good luck with on other cars at the track and just selling the used tires I have (400 miles on them)?

Though I used to be a hard charger a few years ago, now as an older dude I'm not sure I need to be jamming near that hard anymore.

What do I give up going smaller (besides some weight) and does the bigger setup even fit the standard ZL1 without modifications? Thanks!
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #2
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
I have a 2020 ZL1, and converted to ZL1 1LE, as long as you are running the OEM ZLE Offsets, you'll be fine. I didn't even need to relocate the wiring harness. It's good to check and make sure yours was installed correctly though, as some cars were not 'pinned up' properly.

You will be perfectly fine with the Factory ZLE sized APEX wheels, enjoy them!

You have no reason to run the 10/11 combo...unless your car is an SS and not a ZL1.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 09-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The ZL1 is a weird car, I have a ZLE. For some reason the 3Rs are a better track tire on this car than perhaps anything except Hoosiers or non-DOT slicks like Pirelli DH. But IMO they should be at least 305-f/325-r.

The 3R seems to be designed in a way that handles the weight of the ZL1 much better than other tires like PSC2 and NT01, even with those in 305/325. PSC2 and NT01 are GREAT tires, on other cars--like Porsches. Not on the ZL1.

I recommend you get those Apex wheels and use the 3Rs, the ZL1 also needs a lot of rubber so having 11/12 wheels allows you to run 315-f/345-r on ZLE, maybe not on ZL1. The car especially benefits from the wider tires when running brand other than GY 3R.

3Rs are also less expensive than NT01s.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
The ZL1 is a weird car, I have a ZLE. For some reason the 3Rs are a better track tire on this car than perhaps anything except Hoosiers or non-DOT slicks like Pirelli DH. But IMO they should be at least 305-f/325-r.

The 3R seems to be designed in a way that handles the weight of the ZL1 much better than other tires like PSC2 and NT01, even with those in 305/325. PSC2 and NT01 are GREAT tires, on other cars--like Porsches. Not on the ZL1.

I recommend you get those Apex wheels and use the 3Rs, the ZL1 also needs a lot of rubber so having 11/12 wheels allows you to run 315-f/345-r on ZLE, maybe not on ZL1. The car especially benefits from the wider tires when running brand other than GY 3R.

3Rs are also less expensive than NT01s.
Agree completely
Old 09-25-2020, 11:30 PM   #5
dbs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAForums View Post
I have a 2020 ZL1, and converted to ZL1 1LE, as long as you are running the OEM ZLE Offsets, you'll be fine. I didn't even need to relocate the wiring harness. It's good to check and make sure yours was installed correctly though, as some cars were not 'pinned up' properly.

You will be perfectly fine with the Factory ZLE sized APEX wheels, enjoy them!

You have no reason to run the 10/11 combo...unless your car is an SS and not a ZL1.

Best regards,
Dave
Dave, not exactly sure what you mean by the "oem Zle offsets"?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #6
SCCAForums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
Dave, not exactly sure what you mean by the "oem Zle offsets"?

No problem, meaning as long as you are running the ZL1 1LE oem size and offset wheels, 19x11 et11 Front and 19x12 et41 rear you won't have any rubbing/clearance issues on a ZL1.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
ZLE Footprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
After discussing this with Cory at Apex and using 19x11 et11 front and 19x12 et41 for the back he assures me these will fit with no issues other then relocating the wiring harness under the back wheel liner which I believe the prior owner already did.

I possibly jumped a little quick on this and bought some used gy r's from a ZLe but haven't bought the wheels yet and I'm just rethinking this a bit, wondering if I'm better off going to 19x10 and 19x11 using nitto NT01's that I've had good luck with on other cars at the track and just selling the used tires I have (400 miles on them)?

Though I used to be a hard charger a few years ago, now as an older dude I'm not sure I need to be jamming near that hard anymore.

What do I give up going smaller (besides some weight) and does the bigger setup even fit the standard ZL1 without modifications? Thanks!
I have this setup on a track alignment. I use a 3mm spacer up front. It works perfectly. Nice track upgrade.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
dbs1

Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
Riylo
GL 2814.8

Drives: 2019 GL1
This thread topic seems appropriate to my concern so I'm gunna do a small revive; the answers here seem very knowledgeable.

I'm looking to get a new set of wheels and have found an awesome few choices. What may be my favorite among them does not have a 20x10 option, what my '19 ZL1 came with.

They do, however, have 20x10.5 I guess the simple question, the only thing I need, is to know if those will fit all around without issue as long as offsets and such are maintained.

As a bonus, if the knowledge is out there - how wide could I go, front and back? Knowing the limits will always be useful.

Thank you in advance. I'm hoping to make my purchase soon.
Riylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:57 PM   #10
dbs1

According to Cory at Apex, 11" in front and 12" in back with 19" rims is the widest we can go WITHOUT modifications, 305/325 tire width.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
Riylo
GL 2814.8

Drives: 2019 GL1
I don't intend to drop to 19s from 20s, though.
Riylo is offline   Reply With Quote