Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #43
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
So ... my experience with Elite Engineering has been nothing short of excellent. Here in Australia there are very few camaros, and I dont have prior knowledge of DI motors. After having a Whipple SC installed, I asked Whipple by email if they recommended a catch can for my installation. Their response was that its not absolutely required, but definitely a good addition.

I then did some 'google research' and asked some questions here .... and realised that a dual outlet ported can would be best. Other than McNally and Elite I couldnt find another suitable option. I emailed both and in fairness both came back to me within maybe 24 - 48 hours.

But I went with Elite coz they had better shipping, better pricing for my use and I have to say, exceptional responsiveness to my email questions. Plus I could get all I needed eg check valves etc in one order. But I'd have also been happy to buy the McNally unit.

But yes, Elite were very responsive (before and after I ordered), the kit arrived perhaps 2 weeks after I ordered it, all very nice products and very well made. The only thing I'd say is, there should be some basic instructions for thos who dont know how to route these/where to connect (I had no issues but some might get confused esp. With a SC use). A single sheet of paper, 6 or 8 dot points and half a dozen photos are all thats needed.

I'm happy to share pics if anyone wants.
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #44
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
How good is the factory oil separator (black box on passenger side of engine) at catching oil ?
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #45
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave777 View Post
How good is the factory oil separator (black box on passenger side of engine) at catching oil ?
its terrible. remove the throttle body and look for yourself.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #46
KenMaro

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
its terrible. remove the throttle body and look for yourself.

I agree. I put my catch-can on during this past spring (I drove completely stock all Summer 2019). The first mod set I did was a cold air intake, ported throttle body and a catch can. The stock throttle body had noticeable oil/residue... I had 3800 miles on the car at that point. I emptied my catch can just a couple weeks ago for the first time and had about 2 tablespoons or so of...oil/gas/whatever. It wasn't a lot, but it didnt make it back into the engine, which was good enough for me. I didn't drive it much this past summer, I put it away with 6k miles (no track time).

Never occurred to me to check the ported throttle body, I will have to remind myself to check next spring when I get the car back out again. Will see if there is noticeable residue with the catch-can installed.
KenMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #47
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
I put mine on after about 100 miles. There was already oil in the line. I empty it at each oil change. I've gotten about a solo cup or so full after a year and a half so far. That's plenty for me to feel it's worth it. I machined my own so cost was just the materials but I would have bought one if I had to, knowing that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMaro View Post
I agree. I put my catch-can on during this past spring (I drove completely stock all Summer 2019). The first mod set I did was a cold air intake, ported throttle body and a catch can. The stock throttle body had noticeable oil/residue... I had 3800 miles on the car at that point. I emptied my catch can just a couple weeks ago for the first time and had about 2 tablespoons or so of...oil/gas/whatever. It wasn't a lot, but it didnt make it back into the engine, which was good enough for me. I didn't drive it much this past summer, I put it away with 6k miles (no track time).

Never occurred to me to check the ported throttle body, I will have to remind myself to check next spring when I get the car back out again. Will see if there is noticeable residue with the catch-can installed.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote