Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #29
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well, this is all a moot point anyhow. He also claims that no one will own a car in less than 20 years.
This change is already underway.

And I love the "one of the recognized brilliant minds in the auto industry is wrong because he thinks a Semi Euro styled Mustang looks better while complimenting he Camaros superiority" is wrong because no one could think European styling sucks cough Mercedes cough Audi, excuse me cough BMW in the USA
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #30
CamaroBody

Drives: Hyper Blue 2SS
provocative yet dominating... deal with it

Mods:
XPEL - Hood, Bumper, Headlights, & Side Mirrors
JWM - Side Markers
ZL1 Addons - Deluxe Rock Guards & Red Lift Pads
GM - Dark Tail Lamps
MRR - Gloss Black M017s
CamaroBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:44 PM   #31
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

And I love the "one of the recognized brilliant minds in the auto industry is wrong because he thinks a Semi Euro styled Mustang looks better while complimenting he Camaros superiority" is wrong because no one could think European styling sucks cough Mercedes cough Audi, excuse me cough BMW in the USA
While I don't think European styling is terrible, you could put a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi badge on a Aztek and it would probably sell better than it did with the Pontiac badge.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #32
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:

No in my eyes. I agree with him completely. I always respected him and his views. He's way smarter than I am about these things. In 20 years, ill be at the right age (if I live that long)to want to be driven instead of driving, so I hope he's right.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
For everyone's edification...Bob Lutz drove the team that brought you the '06 Camaro concept in the first place. Don't hate on him too much...
Old 11-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #34
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:

If people want a European car they will buy a European car. This whole "it's European" as if it somehow is sexy because the ladies don't shave or people eat raw snails and drink warm beer is not why people buy Mustangs.

Hell most of the time people who buy Mustangs couldn't tell you if it still had a solid rear axle or not.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #35
flaps100

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0 RS
Good Looking

Man is that pretty,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Does this genius Lutz think the first and second gen Camaros were poorly designed also?....Camaro never outsold Mustang until 1977....After all, everyone in hind-sight, and post-retirement can self-proclaim expert status...How else could you justify starting your own consulting firm?

Yeah, the Mustang is so much better...lol...

Attachment 906548
flaps100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 PM   #36
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
For everyone's edification...Bob Lutz drove the team that brought you the '06 Camaro concept in the first place. Don't hate on him too much...
Exactly. And greenlighted Gen 5 (not all concepts make it to production). Also, Corvette almost died after C5. Lutz was instrumental in making certain it didn't. Volt died a couple times. Lutz "revived" it.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:40 PM   #37
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysonstuart View Post
Opinions are like assholes.

We all know the rest.
... and Bobby boys stinks a little more!!
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #38
rap47

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
He must be a true fisherman at heart. The new Mustang looks just like a catfish from the front
rap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBody View Post
Camaro > Mustang/Dodge as Lamborghini > Ferrari (my opinion will never change)

- I very much prefer the design of the Camaro to the Mustang or Challenger.

- I would never buy a Mustang or Challenger (I prefer the Corvette or a Mercedes/BMW).

- Camaro will always be my preference over the Mustang.

I worked for GM for 38 years and partially for that reason I am partial to Camaro. But I wonder where I would land if I wasn't so entrenched in GM products.

During my first few years at GM, when I was a co-op student attending GMI, my cars were
  • a '74 Mustang
  • a '76 Mustang Cobra 302 / 4-speed
  • 2 1979 Mustang Pace Cars (Wanted a 302 but only found a 2.3T, then a few months later found a 302)

Since then it's been all GM cars, but I did spend my last 10 years in Competitor Intelligence. And got to drive some of everything, including all flavors of Mustang, Charger, Challenger, and just about everything else with rubber tires.

I would probably be split between Camaro and Mustang. I think today, Camaro is better at the top of the product line (SS / ZL1 compared to GT / GT350) but at the entry level / mid level I'd probably lean Mustang. Both from performance and appearance standpoint. Exception being RS 1LE. Mustang has nothing in that slot. And now that they've dropped the V6, they probably won't.

Also, from a styling pov, Camaro wins convertible hands down. Camaro convertible with top up looks more "natural" and proportioned than Mustang top up. Top down appearance is a tie. The power up / down at speeds up to 30 mph (50 kph) for Camaro trumps Mustang in a big way.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:00 AM   #40
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
I love my 6th gen and think is looks better than my 5th gen that I had. This car is light years ahead of the 5th gen.

I love it and that's all that matters.

760RWHP Magnuson 1SS
BFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:07 AM   #41
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I worked for GM for 38 years and partially for that reason I am partial to Camaro. But I wonder where I would land if I wasn't so entrenched in GM products.

During my first few years at GM, when I was a co-op student attending GMI, my cars were
  • a '74 Mustang
  • a '76 Mustang Cobra 302 / 4-speed
  • 2 1979 Mustang Pace Cars (Wanted a 302 but only found a 2.3T, then a few months later found a 302)

Since then it's been all GM cars, but I did spend my last 10 years in Competitor Intelligence. And got to drive some of everything, including all flavors of Mustang, Charger, Challenger, and just about everything else with rubber tires.

I would probably be split between Camaro and Mustang. I think today, Camaro is better at the top of the product line (SS / ZL1 compared to GT / GT350) but at the entry level / mid level I'd probably lean Mustang. Both from performance and appearance standpoint. Exception being RS 1LE. Mustang has nothing in that slot. And now that they've dropped the V6, they probably won't.

Also, from a styling pov, Camaro wins convertible hands down. Camaro convertible with top up looks more "natural" and proportioned than Mustang top up. Top down appearance is a tie. The power up / down at speeds up to 30 mph (50 kph) for Camaro trumps Mustang in a big way.
Do you know anything about the decision making process that led to the rear seat bulkhead being placed too far forward on the Alpha platform?

I read something about it, early on when the 6th gen first came out, but nothing since. I guess it had something to do with the fuel tank placement for rear crash protection. This caused rear seat legroom to become severely compromised over that of the Zeta based Camaro

I know Alpha is smaller, but we're only talking 1-2 inches here and 1-2 inches there. The real improvement in structure and lower curb weight came with using stiffer materials like cast aluminum for the strut tower housings, extruded alloy for the front engine cradle, aluminum dash core support and major suspension components made from aluminum/composite instead of steel.

I'm still not happy with the fuel door opening located right behind the passenger door, but I wonder what the stylists and designers thought of that location?
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #42
Swagger
DaWolfOfAllStreets

Drives: 17 C Coupe, 17 1LE, 16 Scion iA
Styling is very subjective and the Camaro is far from tanking in sales vs the Mustang. The typical Camaro/Chevrolet/GM customer doesnt like the Mustang and vice versa for the typical Mustang/Ford customers. Dynamically they are very different driving cars from size, to weight, to handling, to power delivery and so on. I for one having owned around 20 Mustangs passed on this current iteration for a few reasons.

1. It didn't make me smile when I drove it, I didn't get a great feeling which for me is my buying point

2. Performance wise the Camaro has it beat in nearly all aspects

3. The design wasn't aggressive enough for me visually

I did consider it seriously for the reasons below

1. It looks very good from a rear view at the quarters with a nice wheel/tire combo and lowered. And with GT350 body styling added as well. But thats more dough

2. The Roush Warranty for their 720 blower kit with a base car makes for a great value and a lot of HP for the money. Leave the engine alone and its Hellcat power for around $41k. I had one spec'd with aftermarket big brakes, factory recurs, blower and full FRPP suspension for $52k. Plus it kept the warranty and all I needed were wheels/tires of my choice. For the money its the best bang for your buck out there. Seriously...

Despite that when I drove a Roush powered car I learned a few things, namely I still don't like roots blowers, the 1LE handles better even with the suspension mods and I wasn't blown away. Thats just me though LOL
Swagger is offline   Reply With Quote