Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
Leaking coolant?

So today I pull out of the garage and notice a roughly 12 inch diameter puddle of pink and slightly greasy fluid on the garage floor. Looked like coolant. Popped the hood and only the top half of the coolant expansion tank is 3/4 full. Seem to remember the top and bottom tanks being full prior. As I am staring at it and looking for a leak I notice a slow bubble rising up towards the cap every 5 to 10 seconds. Suspect a small leak somewhere but couldn't find a leak from any hoses. Went ahead and drove it to work and watched the temp gauge climb quickly to 200 F and stay there. Can't say I remember it running that hot. Commute is only 10 minutes and it was 57 F here this morning. Btw it's a 2018 ss 1LE with just over 1500 miles. Reluctantly bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow morning (bad experiences with scratched wheels and other crap on a previous camaro) but don't see any other way. Any thoughts? Curious if you guys have noticed similar operating temps, seems high to me. Also are both upper and lower reservoirs typically full? I definitely have a leak somewhere.
Thanks 👍
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
You can take it to any other dealer for warranty work, and most GM dealers will honor it even if they don't sell Chevrolet (GMC, Buick, etc....)

Its running warm as it can't build pressure
Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Sounds like a puddle of coolant to me. IIRC, the top coolant tank is typically full while the bottom has some air in it on mine. 200F coolant temp doesn't seem too terribly high for being fully up to temp as mine is typically around 180F, but as DorkMissle said it's a good idea to take it to the dealer if you can't find the leak. Should still be covered under warranty assuming you haven't added any mods that impact the cooling system. Before driving again, I'd suggest topping coolant off, though.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
On the overflow tank, the top should be full, and the bottom about half full or so. I think there's a line on the lower portion to where it should be filled cold.

There are a few "radiators" and several coolant hoses, many cannot be seen.

Bite the bullet and let the dealer fix it for free.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
JGiovando

So update....
Dealer said the right auxiliary radiator was the source of the leak and claims a rock damaged it. Said this is not a warrantable item but as a 1 time courtesy they will replace it at no charge. I have asked to see the radiator prior to them sending it in to gm for warranty claim so will update again after I check it out. Pretty bizarre as this is a daily driver on well maintained roads, no offroad, gravel, or track driving. Seems odd to me that the thing is that vulnerable. Had no idea this beasty had 3 radiators. The kicker they have to remove the wheel to get to it so fingers crossed they don't muck up my wheel
Old 12-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
This falls into the category of "Sh*t that happens to daily driven cars." Don't sweat it. And it sounds like the service/parts dept is pretty nice if they are fixing for free. Hopefully they don't damage anything.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Silverwing

Drives: Yellow 2018 SS
Well damn. I got a coolant leak today. Seems likes its spurting from one of the connections in front of the engine. At work at the moment but I already made a appointment at the dealership in case it isn't a hose I can just re-tighten.
Silverwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #8
JGiovando

So I checked out the radiator and there was a roughly 0.75cm dia area where the fins are disturbed and slightly squished with a pinpoint <1mm dia hole in the radiator. Yeah they repaired it and in a timely manner but I guess I just don't expect a coolant leak at 1500 miles and then not have it warrantied. Had it resulted from modifications, etc okay but not easy routine commuting. Anyway should it ever happen again I know a little bit more and I hope this makes some others aware of the potential for a similar failure, easier self-diagnosis, and self-repair.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
JGiovando

Hope it's a quick and simple fix Silverwing.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I have heard this stuff happening with the radiators.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Dmaxcc6spd

Drives: 71 Camaro SS - 17 Camaro SS1LE
Probably need to consider how close we follow another vehicle. If we stay back far enough from other cars and trucks, the debris should have time to settle down and not damage the paint or other parts of the car.
14 Camaro RS (gone - totaled by 8&9 year olds)
17 Camaro 1LE HBM Ordered 02/21 Built 4/24, Delivered 5/4
Dmaxcc6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #12
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwing View Post
Well damn. I got a coolant leak today. Seems likes its spurting from one of the connections in front of the engine. At work at the moment but I already made a appointment at the dealership in case it isn't a hose I can just re-tighten.
Pretty sure all the hose clamps are of the spring clamp type, no tightening can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxcc6spd View Post
Probably need to consider how close we follow another vehicle. If we stay back far enough from other cars and trucks, the debris should have time to settle down and not damage the paint or other parts of the car.
This is a good rule to follow to prevent front end road rash.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Had my passenger radiator fail en route to VIR last month. Rock pierced outer corner. Huge bummer, never turned a single lap in the SS. Thankfully We trailered the ZL1 1LE, so I was able to trailer SS home (700 miles each way) and drove the ZL1 1LE back. Paid out of pocket for the replacement (~$120). Here’s a pic of the failed radiator. 19k miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by Provoste; 12-13-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #14
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
the aux radiators are made of extremely soft aluminum. No where near as strong as stiff as the main radiator