#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Maybe check out the mbrp sport catback...but you’ll be cutting right after the secondary cats...i believe you’d cut with just an axle back too. For something that just bolts/clamps on you’ll lose the secondary cats(someone correct me if I’m wrong).

The valves STILL closing at times in track mode has me about to say F it and get an exhaust not using the valves. I cannot believe the driver/owner does not have complete control over that.
Huh, I’ll have to look underneath where the 2nd cats are, I was under the impression there was no cutting, with say, the AWE cat back system. If you do, I Probably won’t consider it or others. I just want the ability to re fit the original w/o hassle.
I’ll re-state, I like the fuse pulled sound all the time, I don’t like two tips dirty and two clean, looks stupid from a purist POV. And to be honest, I’m not a fan of thick double walled tips at all, I’d prefer single wall like real race cars, that I believe would do justice to the tail pipe esthetic IMO.
If I can’t find a system that fits my criteria, I may modify the tips on the OEM system as described above if I have the guts todo it !
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANACO View Post
Huh, I’ll have to look underneath where the 2nd cats are, I was under the impression there was no cutting, with say, the AWE cat back system. If you do, I Probably won’t consider it or others. I just want the ability to re fit the original w/o hassle.
I’ll re-state, I like the fuse pulled sound all the time, I don’t like two tips dirty and two clean, looks stupid from a purist POV. And to be honest, I’m not a fan of thick double walled tips at all, I’d prefer single wall like real race cars, that I believe would do justice to the tail pipe esthetic IMO.
If I can’t find a system that fits my criteria, I may modify the tips on the OEM system as described above if I have the guts todo it !
You can do a no cut setup but the guy you quoted is correct, it must delete secondary cats. The only part of the exhaust that "bolts" is where the primary cat flanges end. You can remove the OEM cat-back in one piece (with secondary cats attached to it) and install a full cat-back setup that scraps the secondary cats. I believe AWE does make an option that does just this.

When you remove the factory cat back, you have to snip the OEM clamp on the drivers side where the secondary cat connects to the primary cat. You'll have to order an OEM clamp if you were to ever re-install the OEM setup. I am not sure how well it would work thought, haven't gotten to that point. I did the full Corsa cat-back for the same reasons, didn't want to cut. But to put it back to stock, I think I'd have to order an OEM clamp and possibly tac weld a piece of it or maybe be able to reuse the factory one. Again, haven't gotten to that point.

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 12-14-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #17
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Hopefully this helps...Just a crude pic/edit I did real quick to help demonstrate.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
DANACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
You can do a no cut setup but the guy you quoted is correct, it must delete secondary cats. The only part of the exhaust that "bolts" is where the primary cat flanges end. You can remove the OEM cat-back in one piece (with secondary cats attached to it) and install a full cat-back setup that scraps the secondary cats. I believe AWE does make an option that does just this.

When you remove the factor axle back, you have to cut the OEM clamp on the drivers side where the secondary cat connects to the primary cat. You'll have to order an OEM clamp if you were to ever re-install the OEM setup. I am not sure how well it would work thought, haven't gotten to that point. I did the full Corsa cat-back for the same reasons, didn't want to cut. But to put it back to stock, I think I'd have to order an OEM clamp and possibly tac weld a piece of it or maybe be able to reuse the factory one. Again, haven't gotten to that point.
Thank you for clarifying this, very helpful. So now, for me, this begs the question of deleting the 2nd cats and what that means, state inspection compliance problems ? Are they true cats that effect emissions at the tail pipe, if so how much ? What effect on the factory tune, any ? Hate to make a big deal out of this but I have my concerns that I know many others don’t.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #19
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying this, very helpful. So now, for me, this begs the question of deleting the 2nd cats and what that means, state inspection compliance problems ? Are they true cats that effect emissions at the tail pipe, if so how much ? What effect on the factory tune, any ? Hate to make a big deal out of this but I have my concerns that I know many others don’t.
I do not know how the emission tests will go. I don't have to deal with that in MI thankfully.

No effect to the tune, no check engine light. Should be worth some power and it definitely will add some volume. I did both my C7 Z06 and 2018 ZL1 with full cat-backs (secondary cat deleting X Pipes on both) and I can't remember if the ZL1's secondary cats are hollow or packed. They should be called resonators. By the way, if you are taking it to a shop for install, they're definitely called resonators, wink wink.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #20
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Thank you for the pic, that’s what i was trying to let him know...he could have the secondary cat, or not cut...one of the two, but not both.

I know it’s a cheaper brand, but the MBRP sport meets most your requirements OP...i cannot speak to the quality, but I’m considering trying it if they keep the price down($493 on amazon). You would have to cut, but some clamps or welding by any shop should return it to stock easily.

I installed a resonator delete on my last car with a sawzall and a dremel(I’m not a mechanic) and it was a fun project, and then i was a little more familiar with the car. Plan on doing the same with this one, I’m sure you could if you wanted to
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #21
DANACO

Quote:
I do not know how the emission tests will go. I don't have to deal with that in MI thankfully.

No effect to the tune, no check engine light. Should be worth some power and it definitely will add some volume. I did both my C7 Z06 and 2018 ZL1 with full cat-backs (secondary cat deleting X Pipes on both) and I can't remember if the ZL1's secondary cats are hollow or packed. They should be called resonators. By the way, if you are taking it to a shop for install, they're definitely called resonators, wink wink.
Thanks for the pic, very clear now ! They’re very picky here like CA on emissions and can be costly if caught out of compliance. Hard to believe they’re true cats but really don’t know either. If I do anything I’ll do it all myself.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #22
DANACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Thank you for the pic, that’s what i was trying to let him know...he could have the secondary cat, or not cut...one of the two, but not both.

I know it’s a cheaper brand, but the MBRP sport meets most your requirements OP...i cannot speak to the quality, but I’m considering trying it if they keep the price down($493 on amazon). You would have to cut, but some clamps or welding by any shop should return it to stock easily.

I installed a resonator delete on my last car with a sawzall and a dremel(I’m not a mechanic) and it was a fun project, and then i was a little more familiar with the car. Plan on doing the same with this one, I’m sure you could if you wanted to
A quarter the price of AWE, you go first !! Love the price, but.....
I’ve got a shop, I weld and machine things for work and myself so I’m covered in the fabrication dept !
Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #23
jvandy50

Quote:
A quarter the price of AWE, you go first !! Love the price, but.....
I’ve got a shop, I weld and machine things for work and myself so I’m covered in the fabrication dept !
Lol yeahhh I’m a little scared...it’ll either fall apart and lessons will be learned, or it’ll last forever and make me feel as if i actually saved a little cash. After fitting up corsa and stainless works in the past(they were great), I’ll at least have something to compare it to quality/fitment wise
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 PM   #24
Can'tHave2MuchHP

BlaqWhole has an MBRP race exhaust on his ZL1 - may want to PM him.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/member.php?u=61072
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #25
DANACO

Quote:
BlaqWhole has an MBRP race exhaust on his ZL1 - may want to PM him.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/member.php?u=61072
Thanks for the tip.
I looked on their site, I don’t think they’re stainless, couldnt find that level of information, didn’t look real hard either ! If so that will account for much of the cost difference. I also bet they’re pretty loud, not much there to muffle the exhaust note.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 PM   #26
jvandy50

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.
I looked on their site, I don’t think they’re stainless, couldnt find that level of information, didn’t look real hard either ! If so that will account for much of the cost difference. I also bet they’re pretty loud, not much there to muffle the exhaust note.
Looks to be one made of T409, and the street version does have mufflers...and J pipes(or something similar to combat drone). The reviews are shit though. Anyway, I ain’t got a dog in this fight, just trying to show options that kinda comply with the first post

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUT02UQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #27
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:

Not sure about this, but since the secondary cats aren't monitored that leads me to believe they aren't true catalytic converters. I think if they were truly monitor cats like sencondaries normally are, it would be more of an issue with emission compliance. This is just my thoughts though. Not totally sure. I personally think and may have verified that with some of the rowdier exhausts, the secondary cats help with taming some unwanted drone and cut down on raspiness. I cut my exhaust when installing my axleback as I did not want to remove the secondary cats. I wouldn't let that deter me. The cut is really simple and of done right the OEM suitcase would go right back on on the future if needed. It would need to be welded or joined back together with a slip on connection, but I dont see any issue with that.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #28
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Quote:
The only thing I could think for you is a Corsa cat-back with Sport mufflers. It’s going to be a lot louder than stock at cold start and WOT but very similar or even quieter at cruise and zero drone. I run the above with Xtreme mufflers and it’s awesome, however it is much louder than stock in WOT/Cold start/Idle and I’m not sure how much quieter the Sport will make it.

You could also consider adding a resonator or muffler to the Corsa/Borla X Pipe like other members have done. But this involves cutting. However it doesn’t effect stock parts at all.
Do you have any drone at all with the Corsa Extreme

Last edited by Fredtp; 12-15-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: short
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote