Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #57
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Not to get too far off topic, but I just wanted to point out that the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS had a 260hp 2.0T engine with 300hp calibration available from the dealer.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...let-cobalt-ss/
Yes. Basically the same engine that was in the Pontiac Solstice GXP / Saturn Sky Redline. Viewed internally as a niche small car performance engine, similar to how Voodoo would be a niche performance engine for Ford. There was at that time no interest in mainstream high volume Direct Injected Turbo engines. Now look at the portfolio. Equinox, Cruze and Malibu are all 100% DI Turbo. Think Ford would go across the board with FPC? Same level of regard for DI Turbo at GM in that timeframe.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #58
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The LS7 and any of the LS series engines are way out of date for use in the 6th gen Camaro, much less a replacement for the Z/28. Plus the SS 1LE already tops the Z/28 in many areas and the ZL1-1LE tops it in every area. There was no reason to make a 6th gen Z/28.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #59

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If the 6th Gen Camaro variants are all done, as they say, and there is not going to be a 7th Gen, why would this Mark guy be replacing Al? Or if an electric Camaro is coming out, that would be under Al again and no need for Mark to run Camaro...

I think they may be putting Al out to pasture, and there will be a 7thGen non hybrid or electric of any kind of Camaro....It's still too soon.

Hopefully the 7thGen will be a killer car. Corvette going mid-engine leaves a lot of possibilities for Camaro, including becoming even pricier....If it manages to survive being assembled in the USA, it will have to be more expensive....

Last edited by 90503; 12-07-2018 at 08:10 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #60
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
If the 6th Gen Camaro variants are all done, as they say, and there is not going to be a 7th Gen, why would this Mark guy be replacing Al?
Because there are still model year changes until the last cars are produced. Because every year the vehicles have to be certified for crash, emissions, and fuel economy. Those would be reasons for Mark to be in place even if there was no 7th Gen planned. Fact of the matter is, I am very certain that there will be a 7th Gen, but even if there isn’t, there is plenty of work for Mark.

Quote:
Or if an electric Camaro is coming out, that would be under Al again and no need for Mark to run Camaro...
But what if Camaro continues (it will) and other non-Camaro electric vehicles are developed (there will be)? Mark continues the build out of 6th Gen and the development of 7th Gen while Al works on EV development.

Quote:
I think they may be putting Al out to pasture, and there will be a 7thGen non hybrid or electric of any kind of Camaro....It's still too soon.
Al will be fine. Whether or not an electrified Camaro (hybrid or EV) will appear only time will tell. I am not a betting man, but I would gladly take somebody’s money betting on those two specific points.

Quote:
Hopefully the 7thGen will be a killer car. Corvette going mid-engine leaves a lot of possibilities for Camaro, including becoming even pricier....If it manages to survive being assembled in the USA, it will have to be more expensive....
It has to be a killer car. The bar has been raised. And now there is room between the 6th Gen Camaro and the outlook for the next Corvette. 7th Gen has a lot of space to fill.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 PM   #61
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
I think GM is on the right track here. Whether you like the 6th gen or not, everyone agrees it is a blast to drive and he was directly responsible for that. GM knows that if they do decide to go "all in" with electrification, they have to BRING it. The cars must be engaging and fun to drive, and if they aren't, customers will buy the japanese brands instead and that would be the end of GM.

I would say we are witnessing a bit of history here. Because what are we all really concerned about, at the end of the day? That electric cars are going to ruin our fun. That the conversion to electric entails a loss of freedom to drive our own cars. A loss of true performance driving. Giving it all up to the bean counters. We don't want that to happen.

And so GM is doing the right thing, hopefully intentionally. They know that a significant portion of their customer base takes performance very seriously. And they also know that the average lay person looking for economical transportation will have a plethora of options available to them in the next 10-20 years, and that the best reason for choosing GM will be the driving experience. Taking over and owning the performance electric vehicle segment and letting those concepts trickle down into the rest of their fleet could revitalize the entire company.

So they take the guy who is responsible for arguably the best sports car for the money, in the world...and let him loose on the electric vehicles. If I'm being charitable, it's a stroke of genius and a sign they know their market extremely well. Personally I'm psyched to see what he comes up with. And we will hold our collective breath and cross our fingers hoping the GM bean counters don't hamstring him. But Al has been in this situation before, and he showed that he will fight and win battles for performance. I believe we should all be VERY glad that he found a reason, his reason, whatever it is, to stay in this game for one last hurrah. He could go out a hero for revitalizing the company and our faith in the future of driving.

Last edited by protovack; 12-07-2018 at 11:50 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #62
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Al...we hardly knew ya!
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #63
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Because there are still model year changes until the last cars are produced. Because every year the vehicles have to be certified for crash, emissions, and fuel economy. Those would be reasons for Mark to be in place even if there was no 7th Gen planned. Fact of the matter is, I am very certain that there will be a 7th Gen, but even if there isn’t, there is plenty of work for Mark.
I was about to say the same thing. You can't read into this as evidence that there will or won't be a 7th gen. No real plans have been announced yet. There will always be a need to fill Al's shoes even if it's to oversee the day-to-day. Or to approve a different color stitching around the arm rest or something mundane.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #64
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
Don't worry, its already confirmed that there is a 7th gen, AND an 8th gen in the works.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:55 AM   #65
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
It’s like I’ve said for years, and the reason I bought my 6.2 2014, get ‘em while you can.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #66
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
^^^
Don't worry, its already confirmed that there is a 7th gen, AND an 8th gen in the works.
And you know this how?
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #67
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Sounds like the same siren song to me.

EV's at GM pretty much a flop. After no subsidy, they will fall right on their face.
And still, GM persuing the idea to sell them to public? How stupid can mgmt be?

Get this--- MAJORITY of customers aren't going to buy into the idea of an EV, regardless who makes it. Present infrastructure as it's at now doesn't support EV's.

Why are EV's pushed so hard onto the public?

They keep this up, GM will go belly-up, and find themselves in court over the bailout.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #68
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
"I see a trend, where all manufacturers feel they have reached the end of the horsepower Wars."

How short our memories are???
They said that in the early '70's. Was crap then, and is now. Same as the idea of EV's replacing ICE's.
Never happen.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #69
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
Sounds like the same siren song to me.

EV's at GM pretty much a flop. After no subsidy, they will fall right on their face.
And still, GM persuing the idea to sell them to public? How stupid can mgmt be?

Get this--- MAJORITY of customers aren't going to buy into the idea of an EV, regardless who makes it. Present infrastructure as it's at now doesn't support EV's.

Why are EV's pushed so hard onto the public?

They keep this up, GM will go belly-up, and find themselves in court over the bailout.
The infrastructure thing for EVs is way overplayed. People look at the range for electric vehicles, notice that there is not a charging station on every corner, and assume they can’t recharge when they need to. They overlook one very simple fact. Every morning you wake up with a “full tank”.

We have had Chevrolet Volts in our household since 2012. Every morning we wake up with a full charge. For the one we have now that means 45 - 60 miles, depending on temperature. Most days that is more than enough for the day’s duties. With a Chevrolet Bolt having 238 miles per charge, that would be about a week’s worth of mileage from charging overnight. For those 3 - 5 times a year where you make a trip that actually requires more than 200 miles in a day, Bolt and other long range battery electrics offer fast chargers that can had around 80 - 90 miles in 20 minutes. And newer battery electrics are coming with about 300 miles of range. Over time, it could get even better. You won’t need charging stations on every corner. Just in your garage.

But still, the biggest issue is that most battery electric owners will charge overnight at home and have more than enough range to get through a day. What about people who live on the 7th floor of an apartment or condo? They won’t drive an electric car. ICE cars will still be around.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #70
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
"Continue dropping".. It's practically at all time highs now.
Tesla ended down yesterday and is down from its yearly high , once they lose there subsides and GM starts producing better EV's we will see how their stock goes then . I believe if Tesla sticks around they will just be building higher end cars like Fisker is doing now with the Emotion .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote