Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #15
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Penski for me.����
*Penske, and even then the only reason would be their regressive valves, otherwise they're...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
Would rather have a set of MCS or JRZ in that price range...
..."just" very nice traditional shim-stack dampers with low hysteresis. At least Ohlins has the DFV option.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #16
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
sorry but at the price of the DSSV id rather get MCS and have some adjustability

but thats me
What you should want are good spool valves already tuned for the chassis, not adjustments to get a generic shim-valve in the ballpark. This is why the DSSV kit will nearly always be a better option than a custom shim-stack damper.

This comes down to what you're trying to do. Are you looking to bolt-on and immediately go fast? Or are you trying to spend months shaking down and tuning a good setup?
Old 12-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #17
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
What you should want are good spool valves already tuned for the chassis, not adjustments to get a generic shim-valve in the ballpark. This is why the DSSV kit will nearly always be a better option than a custom shim-stack damper.

This comes down to what you're trying to do. Are you looking to bolt-on and immediately go fast? Or are you trying to spend months shaking down and tuning a good setup?
I can agree with that. It took a few hundred laps to get my MCS’s right for my chassis on my e90 and e46. Constantly adjusting. Slap the DSSV on and go.

The thing I’d be worried about at that point is spring rates from ZL1 to SS1LE especially the 1LE zl1 with aero. Would they be too high of rate for the SS? .
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move_Over View Post
I can agree with that. It took a few hundred laps to get my MCS’s right for my chassis on my e90 and e46. Constantly adjusting. Slap the DSSV on and go.

The thing I’d be worried about at that point is spring rates from ZL1 to SS1LE especially the 1LE zl1 with aero. Would they be too high of rate for the SS? .
Running the same Supercar 3R, it would be closer than most enthusiasts can discern. Given how few people are regularly IR'ing their tires and recording the data, they wouldn't even start to know how much to change the spring rate. There's only about a 2% change (80 pounds, less than a tank of fuel) in wet weight between the SS 1LE and ZL1 1LE, and the aero is relatively mild. Bolt on the ZL1 1LE aero to the SS and have a passenger onboard with a full fuel tank and it's more than a wash.

If you're a driver that can lap quicker on a light fuel tank, then you'll probably be changing the DSSV spring rates by 50 lb/in or so just to suit your style.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
the girl at gm i was dealing with was telling me about the racecar they had it was a ss body with zl1 1le aero and suspension and brakes very similar to the gt4r cars
Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
*Penske, and even then the only reason would be their regressive valves, otherwise they're...

..."just" very nice traditional shim-stack dampers with low hysteresis. At least Ohlins has the DFV option.

Voice to text screws up again. But do love it. Let me ask you a couple questions if you don't mind what is your background? Do you have an mechanical engineering degree? Can you elaborate on why you don't like to Penske shocks? Are you familiar with Andrew aquilante?
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 PM   #21
NickyRacerBoy

What's the most amount of camber you can get with a set a spool shocks?

Last edited by NickyRacerBoy; 12-06-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:21 PM   #22
NickyRacerBoy

The currently running 3.6 in the front right now with my my Maggie ride
Old 12-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #23
x_jarhead

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
This is a great discussion. I am an engineer and have many years experience developing and tuning race cars using a “data driven” methodology and I’m looking forward to a engineer level discussion of shock and suspension options. I’m new to tuning the Camaro and have a lot to learn. I’m very interested in spool valve shocks and appreciate any additional knowledge the resident experts can provide.
x_jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote