Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-20-2018, 09:37 PM   #15
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
It didn't end up being a bracket issue my mechanic adjusted the bracket to work properly. The warranty one came quickly and steve was awesome to deal with. We had to slightly grind the bracket to car bolt hole to fit everyone else I've talked to had to do the same thing. I could comment a lot on what ultimately caused the failure in mine and others and I'd likely upset 90% of the forum doing so but there is no reason this pipe should have failed like it did at my power levels.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #16
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
So just a matter of the bolt holes on the zzp bracket not lining up exactly to the car itself?
I'm installing it this weekend, so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited by SSShark; 11-20-2018 at 10:20 PM.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
SSShark

Well, I started to install my catted version yesterday and ran into a setback with the lower inside bolt that connects to the turbo.
I also wasn't too comfortable with the lower O2 sensor hole interfering with the transmission lines. I wonder if maybe ZZP would consider a Camaro only version with that bottom O2 sensor mount a few inches higher.
For now, I am going to ask around to see if a local shop could plug that bottom hole and tap a new hole a few inches higher in a better location.

Big thank you to Steve @ ZZ Performance for answering my emails on a Saturday. Much appreciated!!

Last edited by SSShark; 11-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #18
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

ZZSteve is awesome with customer service that's the one thing i can say i love about ZZP over the other options.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 11-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #19
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
ZZSteve is awesome with customer service that's the one thing i can say i love about ZZP over the other options.
Absolutely, I was both impressed and thankful.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
this thread needs pictures

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #21
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
this thread needs pictures
I'm avoiding that for now. If the warranty actual camaro downpipe fails I'll post but ZZP were legit the first time around so outta respect. Just know I'm not the first, last or latest person with the same issue. 3 tac welds on the outside flange is a joke of a welding job when everyone else is doing a full weld.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #22
SSShark

I am impartial and would say that in my case, if I were to keep it, I would have that bracket completely welded, plug the existing bottom O2 sensor hole and have a new one tapped a little higher and more centered. Mishimoto and aFe Power seem to have theirs properly positioned, but both are priced pretty high. With that being said, the cost to have the ZZP downpipe modified might still keep it below the other guys' price.
As it is, I do not feel that the current setup is ideal for the Camaro 2.0L.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2018, 03:01 AM   #23
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfl2004 View Post
I am impartial and would say that in my case, if I were to keep it, I would have that bracket completely welded, plug the existing bottom O2 sensor hole and have a new one tapped a little higher and more centered. Mishimoto and aFe Power seem to have theirs properly positioned, but both are priced pretty high. With that being said, the cost to have the ZZP downpipe modified might still keep it below the other guys' price.
As it is, I do not feel that the current setup is ideal for the Camaro 2.0L.
Jeez, looks like someone didn't finish their welding duties. I gotta check if mine looks like that.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #24
whiskeyfed
Pat

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT I4 Turbo A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bsaget007 View Post
Jeez, looks like someone didn't finish their welding duties. I gotta check if mine looks like that.
I am going to be installing a catless from ZZP, again... long story...

I switched back and forth a couple times between catted and catless. I have spoken to my performance parts guy and he is going to be welding the flanges totally for me. I have not had an issue yet but want to avoid that happening. Ill post pictures here when he finishes. I will be dropping the DP off to him tomorrow afternoon.

Subscribe on YouTube Whiskeyfed Camaro

Follow my Build Thread The WhiskeyFed Camaro

Current Modifications: JacFab Boost-O-Lator, Injen Evolution CAI, ZZP Catless Downpipe, RPM 3" Charge Pipe, Mishimoto Oil Filtration/Coolant Systems, R1 Concepts Brakes Package, Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs, PTP Lava Exhaust Wrap & Turbo Blanket

DYNO SHEET: 297whp / 374wtq
Tuned by #danytechtuning
whiskeyfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:56 AM   #25
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

You can easily see the 3 tac weld job they think is appropriate for the turbo side flange but weld the entire lower flange to the exhaust side. I've now heard of 4 braking 5 if I count mine between the ATS and Camaro crowd. All breaks happening at the turbo side flange regardless of the excuse it's a piss poor miss on their end and they know it's caused multiple failures. On yours nyfl2004 it looks like the opposite the turbo side is welded all around but they 3 tac welded the exhaust side. Really sad state in the ZZP welding department. I'd just have your exhaust guy weld the rest and make sure they know it's stainless steel to save yourself a headache but not sure what that would do to the 2yr. warranty.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #26
SSShark

Not only the welding aspect of it, but I highly recommend not bending or moving the transmission lines. I have been around long enough to know that that is asking for trouble. Sooner or later the tubing will wind up working it's way back, at which point you will get vibration against the the O2 sensor which will most probably cause a transmission line leak. The only way that I would install it is by having a new hole tapped above and to the left of the existing bottom O2 sensor location.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #27
Zzsteve

Drives: 2018 2SS
the "tac weld" is only to hold the flange on the pipe in the fixture. it is then welded 100% on the inside of the flange, on the table, once its removed from the fixture. it is not necessary to weld both the inside, and outside of the same flange.

we have improved the process for welding these pipes a few months ago.
Zzsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #28
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzsteve View Post
the "tac weld" is only to hold the flange on the pipe in the fixture. it is then welded 100% on the inside of the flange, on the table, once its removed from the fixture. it is not necessary to weld both the inside, and outside of the same flange.

we have improved the process for welding these pipes a few months ago.
Gotcha. I'm hoping i'm one of those on the new downpipe process. We're not trying to dissuade anyone from buying your products here ZZSteve just letting them know they may or may not want to have their installer weld the rest for mindsake.