#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #15
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholzer View Post
Might see if we can run my BILs seriously next year if I end up selling the Z06. Not sure if the car can get it done in AS, but it's close and too fast for BS IMO.
I will have the 19s with RE71Rs for next year, I may have to let you or Rusty or Larry co-drive with me at least once to see what it can really do! I know I won't be able to push it to it's real potential yet but I'm going to at least get the setup right, and I agree regardless of whether it can beat the Vettes it's definitely still too fast for BS.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I will have the 19s with RE71Rs for next year, I may have to let you or Rusty or Larry co-drive with me at least once to see what it can really do! I know I won't be able to push it to it's real potential yet but I'm going to at least get the setup right, and I agree regardless of whether it can beat the Vettes it's definitely still too fast for BS.
Why would it be too fast for BS? AS was 2 seconds faster than BS at Nationals. Matt in a 1LE was 2 seconds out per day. BS was 2 seconds slower over 2 days than AS. If matt was a second quicker per day, he could be close in BS, but would still be 2 seconds out over 2 days in AS. These cars are awesome, but for autox, they are still big cars over 3700 #'s, which is why they can't compete with smaller, lighter vettes with similar or more power. Can they hang in there in AS, possibly, but I don't get the overdog in BS argument, BS has a variety of fast cars it would have to beat. The 1LE would an overdog against the Cayman which is a slalom monster, I don't think so.
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #17
dontlifttoshift

Drives: 71 Camaro '18 1LE
If we want to use Nationals as our only data point.

AS 116.253
BS 117.293
FS 118.217
Matt Lucas 119.83

1LE to FS!!

Just to remind everyone that Autocross is a drivers sport:

Scroggs won DS with 117.715 would have been 3rd in BS and 7th in AS and would have won FS. Yes, different days, OPR, sunshine or lack of, your mileage may vary, do not ingest, may cause diarrhea, etc.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #18
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
If we want to use Nationals as our only data point.

AS 116.253
BS 117.293
FS 118.217
Matt Lucas 119.83

1LE to FS!!

Just to remind everyone that Autocross is a drivers sport:

Scroggs won DS with 117.715 would have been 3rd in BS and 7th in AS and would have won FS. Yes, different days, OPR, sunshine or lack of, your mileage may vary, do not ingest, may cause diarrhea, etc.
I used nationals as a data point because it was recent and a 1LE ran in AS, didn't say it was the only data point
I submitted more data in my letter, including my experience w/ C5Z06 and 2015 SS 1LE.
My opinion is it can't hang in AS, I've driven both cars (SS 1LE/C5Z06)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #19
FNxR3DNECK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
I used nationals as a data point because it was recent and a 1LE ran in AS, didn't say it was the only data point
I submitted more data in my letter, including my experience w/ C5Z06 and 2015 SS 1LE.
My opinion is it can't hang in AS, I've driven both cars (SS 1LE/C5Z06)
I guess my biggest argument is we don't have enough data based on the Nationals result because there was only one 1LE against 40+ Z06s. And I have a little more faith in the 1LE as I've had one of those Z06 guys run my car and he thinks it is capable of competing (yes that's one guy's opinion I know!). Point being we need more data!!!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #20
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I guess my biggest argument is we don't have enough data based on the Nationals result because there was only one 1LE against 40+ Z06s. And I have a little more faith in the 1LE as I've had one of those Z06 guys run my car and he thinks it is capable of competing (yes that's one guy's opinion I know!). Point being we need more data!!!
Agreed, data is limited, it will probably stay in AS, and I don't see many trying to compete with it in that class, so data may remain limited.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:15 PM   #21
gshumaker

Drives: 2017 Silver 1LE
I'm not sure what to think yet myself. I have owned an SS1LE for a couple months now and absolutely love the car. I also own an STX BRZ. My 1LE was at nationals, stock except for 305/19 RE71Rs all-around, running in CAMC with my friend Bob. I drove the STX BRZ for Day 1 at nationals and was mid-pack. On Day 2, I had to leave to get back to Florida to get back to prep for Irma. Since CAM-C was 3rd heat and STX 5th, the nationals guys let me run the 1LE in CAM-C along with Bob just for kicks. My first run was a complete abomination. I was over-driving due to having been driving my STX car for all of last year including all week at nationals.

I am no jump in a car and go super-fast on my first run alien, so it takes me a few runs to really get the hang of driving a fast car fast. I ran a 47.0 on my second run, which was still kind of a mess honestly. My third run I had a big mistake (think the Bridgestones were overheating with two drivers) and went slower. I felt like there was a low 46 available with a non top tier driver like myself, which would have been a solid time in AS, who ran right after CAMC. Even a 47.0 was a bottom of the trophies type time and historically I have been a middle to the bottom of the trophies type driver at nationals. Until this year, I had trophied all but my first nationals--in SS (essentially now SSR in a C5Z06), CS, FM, and FS.

For me, the questions are:

1. This is a single data point--a single course on a single day. How would I have (or more drivers) done on the West course.
2. How much did running the same course the day before help my driving? I think that I was struggling with the car/tire change (been running BFGs all year and honestly have never been a big fan of the Stones) sort of offset this.
3. Did the surface temperatures change enough between 3rd and 4th heat to slow down AS a bit?

I love this car but am currently torn between running it and my STX twin. They are such different animals. The STX twin is a torqueless wonder that is really fun through the corners and is in essentially a spec class. The 1LE has more power than you can
put down through street tires but is still a big car especially compared to the C5s and C6s and is probably ultimately fighting an uphill battle in AS. I do think that the 1LE can trophy but if you put a top driver in both a Corvette and the 1LE, I can guarantee you he'll be faster in the Corvette. The question for me is how much?

I plan on running the 1LE for a few local events between now and next autocross season before I make my decision. I'll take a look at mine and Bob's PDR data from the East course to see how much faster it looks like we were capable of....that is as soon as I get power at home to run the software on my computer.
gshumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #22
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
We also have to take into account a few things. The SCCA in recent years has classed "special package" cars so that they arent a "must have" to win the class. Not that the 1LE is a limited package.. unless you want green like myself lol, but it is a package option car. In a way they want you to be able to get the most common car off the showroom floor and be competitive.

I do still wish I could have got my 1LE in green but my results this year i am also happy with my "base" FS camaro.

Like dontlifttoshift said, a lot depends on the driver as well. I think we just need more data.
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #23
JRL1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshumaker View Post
I'm not sure what to think yet myself. I have owned an SS1LE for a couple months now and absolutely love the car. I also own an STX BRZ. My 1LE was at nationals, stock except for 305/19 RE71Rs all-around, running in CAMC with my friend Bob. I drove the STX BRZ for Day 1 at nationals and was mid-pack. On Day 2, I had to leave to get back to Florida to get back to prep for Irma. Since CAM-C was 3rd heat and STX 5th, the nationals guys let me run the 1LE in CAM-C along with Bob just for kicks. My first run was a complete abomination. I was over-driving due to having been driving my STX car for all of last year including all week at nationals.

I am no jump in a car and go super-fast on my first run alien, so it takes me a few runs to really get the hang of driving a fast car fast. I ran a 47.0 on my second run, which was still kind of a mess honestly. My third run I had a big mistake (think the Bridgestones were overheating with two drivers) and went slower. I felt like there was a low 46 available with a non top tier driver like myself, which would have been a solid time in AS, who ran right after CAMC. Even a 47.0 was a bottom of the trophies type time and historically I have been a middle to the bottom of the trophies type driver at nationals. Until this year, I had trophied all but my first nationals--in SS (essentially now SSR in a C5Z06), CS, FM, and FS.

For me, the questions are:

1. This is a single data point--a single course on a single day. How would I have (or more drivers) done on the West course.
2. How much did running the same course the day before help my driving? I think that I was struggling with the car/tire change (been running BFGs all year and honestly have never been a big fan of the Stones) sort of offset this.
3. Did the surface temperatures change enough between 3rd and 4th heat to slow down AS a bit?

I love this car but am currently torn between running it and my STX twin. They are such different animals. The STX twin is a torqueless wonder that is really fun through the corners and is in essentially a spec class. The 1LE has more power than you can
put down through street tires but is still a big car especially compared to the C5s and C6s and is probably ultimately fighting an uphill battle in AS. I do think that the 1LE can trophy but if you put a top driver in both a Corvette and the 1LE, I can guarantee you he'll be faster in the Corvette. The question for me is how much?

I plan on running the 1LE for a few local events between now and next autocross season before I make my decision. I'll take a look at mine and Bob's PDR data from the East course to see how much faster it looks like we were capable of....that is as soon as I get power at home to run the software on my computer.
WOW, 47.0, that would have smoked AS . 57.0 would be 4th in CAMC for the day and last trophy in AS, good job.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:52 AM   #24
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
WOW, 47.0, that would have smoked AS . 57.0 would be 4th in CAMC for the day and last trophy in AS, good job.
Yeah, don't let Greg fool you. He is fast as f*** in anything I have seen him drive.

Personally, I'm hoping he makes the switch to the 1LE in our region as it will give me a target to shoot for.

The 1LE is outclassed by a well driven C6Z. Not so much a C5Z.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
gshumaker

Drives: 2017 Silver 1LE
Quote:
LOL. Yeah, 57.0.

Quote:
The 1LE is outclassed by a well driven C6Z. Not so much a C5Z.
Matthew the C5Z is every bit the c6z's equal or better unless there is a course where you have multiple 50-70 mph runs. It was a C5 that won AS this year, BTW.

On another note, I'm going to beg my friend down in S Fla who has an AS C5Z, for us to do some head-to-head testing at a Gulf Coast Autocrossers event. It should provide some relevant data if the course is reasonable....Gulf Coast though often has some very transition heavy courses which would favor the lighter C5Z.
gshumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #26
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshumaker View Post
L It was a C5 that won AS this year, BTW.
Boom

It was also Jasons 1st year in the car. knowing him he will only get faster...

Maybe I should get a 1LE and race him locally, then when he owns me we can get it moved to BS lol.

I would be willing to take donations! lol :P
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Looks pretty cut an dry to me the best times from the SS 1LE would've only put it about 10th place in BS doesn't seem unfair to me.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #28
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
Boom

It was also Jasons 1st year in the car. knowing him he will only get faster...

Maybe I should get a 1LE and race him locally, then when he owns me we can get it moved to BS lol.

I would be willing to take donations! lol :P
I think Jason in C6Z > Jason in a C5Z. He was beaten by a C6Z at ProSolo.

And he certainly will get faster.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote