Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #43
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
I can't comment on a regular ZL1. I did not have the issue with my SS 1LE, so maybe not?
Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #44
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Recently bought a spare track set of OEM tires/wheels for my ZL1 1LE. Had the Goodyear F3s heat cycled by Tire Rack. Any real benefit of heat cycling prior to first use?

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #45
Tachitup

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE M6; previous 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
I can't comment on a regular ZL1. I did not have the issue with my SS 1LE, so maybe not?
Hey Sean,

Thanks for posting your experiences and insightful comments. I'm the guy that started this thread a year ago. It's great to see it come to the surface again.

I've now run 12 track events on my ZL1. The car runs 305 / 325 19" on Forgeline wheels. Front is 3.6 - camber / 7.8 + caster / minimal toe-out; Rear is 2.4 - camber / minimal toe-in.

I've been to 5 different tracks, ranging from the very high speed to medium speed. They all included at least 3 X 20 minutes sessions with half of them also including time attack sessions, the other events included an additional 3 or 4 20 minutes sessions.

I consumed 2 sets of 888R and 1 set of NT-01.

I found very little difference in the handling characteristics of these tires. The NT-01 seemed to suit my sometimes aggressive driving style more than the Toyo. Especially with being able to point the car more accurately to the apex.

I found both tires heat cycled out after 40 to 50 laps. Lap times dropped 2 seconds per 60 seconds. They stayed consistent until I removed them at 50 to 75% worn. My rears wore 25 to 50% faster than the fronts. No tire showed any kind of irregular wear (for a track tire).

I would consider both the 888R and the NT-01 acceptable time attack tires for the first 40 laps of their tread life. After that they feel much like the OE non 3R Goodyear's.

With this in mind, I need to buy a new set of 888R or NT-01's for each time attack event or not run the 3 practice sessions on these tires.

Looking at these tires from the point of view of being driven in a competitive environment > aka being driven 10/10th by a reasonability competent driver.

1/ How competitive are the F1-3R's compared to the NT-01 and 888R?

2/ What's the competitive life of the F1-3R compared to the NT-01 and 888R?

Sean knows the answers to these questions What do other know.
Tachitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #46
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
Recently bought a spare track set of OEM tires/wheels for my ZL1 1LE. Had the Goodyear F3s heat cycled by Tire Rack. Any real benefit of heat cycling prior to first use?
Probably not at the track day level of competition (i.e. none).
Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #47
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
That is what I figured too. Just can't wait to get this thing on the track.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #48
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Tachitup, thank you for posting your experiences, and including all the data points of alignment, etc. That's really helpful for those of us that are new to this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post
I would consider both the 888R and the NT-01 acceptable time attack tires for the first 40 laps of their tread life. After that they feel much like the OE non 3R Goodyear's.
What kind of lap time delta did you see between the stock ZL1 Goodyear non 3R and a new set of 888R/NT-01?

I'm curious how useable the non R Goodyears are for 'casual' trackday use, and how they'd hold up. They're certainly cheap (relatively...). Obviously, they're not going to run with R comps.

I have a pretty good picture of how the usual suspects (NT01, Rival, R7, etc) stack up from experience, but I'm trying to figure out where the stock Goodyears (R and non-R)on these cars fit in.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #49
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
I've been through 8 sets of Cup2's and 3 sets of NT01's in roughly the same amount of track time. I am a huge fan of the Cup2's...for maybe 2 run days. After that they fall off very quickly and I sell them with nearly perfect tread. On fresh (or seasoned) NT01's I cannot run within 2 seconds of the MPSC2 when the cups are in their prime. However, with the nittos I run consistent laps throughout a session for pretty much the life of the tire. Knowing my baseline, I plan accordingly. If I need a fast lap, I don't mind changing the setup between sessions.

I will be on the Goodyears next month and I am hoping to get similar performance to the Cup2's. If so, that will be my go-to tire for when times matter. They are significantly cheaper.

Obviously camber plays a large role in the longevity conversation, but if I could offer one thought on the subject that might resonate, it is that if you push this car to its limits, you will not get more than 20 good 2min laps out of an R compound before seeing .5 seconds added to your times in quick progression. I'm talking about 10/10ths with a very capable driver. The car is too heavy to maintain peak tire performance, if longevity is also your goal. That's why the Nitto's and their older technology are still the best bang for your buck. This whole discussion is really about trade-offs, imho.

Now if you are not the guy who is chasing a PB every time you hit the track, I guess your results may vary. I'm just not that guy. I'm there to drive.

I'll have NT01's, Cup2's and RE's at MRLS this weekend. I plan to try them all in the two days. Can't wait to try the GY's

Nicely written write up!
Sounds like your a track rat, me too. Live in PA/NJ so session is not year round

Your so right about weight of the car. This is one of the reasons mine is going
on a diet and other reason is safety. I push pretty hard and need safety equipment around me.

To bad your not close looking for another rat to hang out with

Post up some vids!
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #50
Tachitup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
Tachitup, thank you for posting your experiences, and including all the data points of alignment, etc. That's really helpful for those of us that are new to this car!

What kind of lap time delta did you see between the stock ZL1 Goodyear non 3R and a new set of 888R/NT-01?

I'm curious how useable the non R Goodyears are for 'casual' trackday use, and how they'd hold up. They're certainly cheap (relatively...). Obviously, they're not going to run with R comps.

I have a pretty good picture of how the usual suspects (NT01, Rival, R7, etc) stack up from experience, but I'm trying to figure out where the stock Goodyears (R and non-R)on these cars fit in.
Good questions:

I have not collected any data on the Non-R Goodyear's, although I have driven them on that track on a few occasions during some evening lapping sessions with some friends. What I can say is that that stand up extremely well, but don't provide the same high level of feedback that the 888R's or NT-01's provide. If my gut feeling is worth anything, I don't think they are as fast as the 888R or NT-01, but I do not have any data to back that up.

Please note that I'm running a heavy ZL1. From my observations, what appears to work well on the SS 1LE doesn't seem to translate into what works best on the ZL1. That can also be said for the difference between the ZL1 and ZL1-1LE.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #51
Tachitup

[QUOTE=Rodan;10363035]Tachitup, thank you for posting your experiences, and including all the data points of alignment, etc. That's really helpful for those of us that are new to this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
I've been through 8 sets of Cup2's and 3 sets of NT01's in roughly the same amount of track time. I am a huge fan of the Cup2's...for maybe 2 run days. After that they fall off very quickly and I sell them with nearly perfect tread. On fresh (or seasoned) NT01's I cannot run within 2 seconds of the MPSC2 when the cups are in their prime. However, with the nittos I run consistent laps throughout a session for pretty much the life of the tire. Knowing my baseline, I plan accordingly. If I need a fast lap, I don't mind changing the setup between sessions.

I will be on the Goodyears next month and I am hoping to get similar performance to the Cup2's. If so, that will be my go-to tire for when times matter. They are significantly cheaper.

Obviously camber plays a large role in the longevity conversation, but if I could offer one thought on the subject that might resonate, it is that if you push this car to its limits, you will not get more than 20 good 2min laps out of an R compound before seeing .5 seconds added to your times in quick progression. I'm talking about 10/10ths with a very capable driver. The car is too heavy to maintain peak tire performance, if longevity is also your goal. That's why the Nitto's and their older technology are still the best bang for your buck. This whole discussion is really about trade-offs, imho.

Now if you are not the guy who is chasing a PB every time you hit the track, I guess your results may vary. I'm just not that guy. I'm there to drive.

I'll have NT01's, Cup2's and RE's at MRLS this weekend. I plan to try them all in the two days. Can't wait to try the GY's
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm very interested in reading your comments on the Nt-01's, Cup 2's and RE's. MOST interested in any comparison between Cup 2's and Gdy 3R's.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 AM   #52
Rodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachitup View Post

Please note that I'm running a heavy ZL1. From my observations, what appears to work well on the SS 1LE doesn't seem to translate into what works best on the ZL1. That can also be said for the difference between the ZL1 and ZL1-1LE.
That's an important distinction since we're in the general track section and not the ZL1 section. I'm also in a ZL1.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #53
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
wow, those R888R are expensive compared to G3R but if they last longer than maybe price per mile is better.

G3R promo:
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #54
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Glad I found this thread. I have a SS 1LE with the non-R Goodyears. I'm getting into auto-x next year. Would it be beneficial for me to get a set of R888R's? I don't daily drive the car at all so it would be going on the stock 20's
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #55
Rodan

For autoX, RE71 would probably be a better choice if you're looking to be competitive. R888 and NT01 are designed more for track use and will not reach optimal temperature in a typical autoX run.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #56
D K

Drives: C5
Does anyone have any data on lap delta between any of the tires compared above?

Would be nice to get a sticky or something - indicating lap time differences and longetivety.

I'm new to this platform, but I did time attack a 500+ hp FRS and we used the RE71R, RC-1, RS3 and R7's.

Camaro, being heavier, will like different tires - of course.

Im also noticing that some of you guys are running very high static camber on the front!
D K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
19" track tires for zl1, goodyear f1 3r, nitto nt-01, toyo r888r