Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Shudder during Cruise?

I've been having a weird issue for the last few months.

Very hard to reproduce but so far I've noticed it happens usually between 1200-1600rpm and when I'm cruising. Not during hard acceleration.

The car shakes HEAVILY. It's so bad I can see the windshield wipers shake.

Is this normal? It happens really often but I cannot reproduce it whenever I want. Is this the A8 shudder?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
It very well can be. Best of luck with this because the fix is coming out 2019. I would take it to the dealer and test drive it with them to confirm the issue just so they have it down in your history
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
Giri
Soon to be Millionaire

Drives: Blue 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
It very well can be. Best of luck with this because the fix is coming out 2019. I would take it to the dealer and test drive it with them to confirm the issue just so they have it down in your history
My problem is the dealer wants $275 as a diagnostic fee if this issue turns out to not be covered under the powertrain warranty. My bumper to bumper is finished and I refuse to pay them that diagnostic fee.

Essentially if I got there and am told that this is a non-issue or that they can't replicate it, $275
Old 11-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giri View Post
My problem is the dealer wants $275 as a diagnostic fee if this issue turns out to not be covered under the powertrain warranty. My bumper to bumper is finished and I refuse to pay them that diagnostic fee.

Essentially if I got there and am told that this is a non-issue or that they can't replicate it, $275
Go to another dealer jesus christ this diagnostic fee thing is ridiculous.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
If it does the shuddering daily then they shouldn’t have a problem duplicating the issue. I would suggest test driving it with the service or tech to confirm with them your issue. Then you can decide wether or not to leave it with them. But I would definitely try taking it elsewhere
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Go to another dealer jesus christ this diagnostic fee thing is ridiculous.
Agreed. What a douchebag dealer. F$^kin' thieves. I'd bring it somewhere else and give them a crappy Google review on top of it.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
By your description it certainly sounds like the shudder issue.

First thing to do is remember the 5 P's, Proper Planing Prevents Poor Performance. In this case those 5 P's refer to being prepared to demonstrate the issue you're having and present documentation supporting your statements regarding the issue. Start by hedging your bet by figuring out how to consistently reproduce the issue. Some shops are better than others trying to reproduce an issue but too many just take the fee and run. And the worst use the fee to scare you away.

Unfortunately, if you want to be successful here you're going to have to do more documentation on your own and figure out how to replicate the problem. You'll need to start paying more attention to exactly what situations the issue is occurring. Don't know what model you have based on your user profile but on my 2SS I used those fancy gauges to document the problem. The tach and speedo are important as you can lock the RPM and speed in for the issue, which you've already done and that's a good start. On my SS AFM was directly tied to reproducing the problem consistently. What I did was set my center stack information display to the panel where it would show you when the car would go from V8 to V4 mode. When the car was in V4 mode I would gently accelerate keeping the car in V4 mode and the shudder would start. After pinning this down I was not only able to reproduce the issue at highway speeds where I had originally experienced the issue but also at slower speeds where the car was essentially in the same operation mode.

Once you've figured out when it occurs and how to replicate the issue write your procedure down being as detailed as you can describing how to get the car in the failed state and take the document to the dealer with you. Many times the problem your having gets lost in the translation between the write up person and the tech because the write up person was too lazy to write an accurate description or just inaccurately documented it. Be prepared to go for a ride with the write up person or tech to reproduce the issue should they say that they can't find anything. Also take the service bulletin documented on this forum with you.

Lastly GM knows this issue very well. Don't be afraid to talk to the service manger directly, call the customer satisfaction help line or contact the area manager if the dealer starts trying to charge you for a very well documented defect.

Last edited by bturner2; 11-07-2018 at 06:53 AM.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #8
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Sounds like the shudder which will have fix early next year. There is nothing they can do for it now so I'd just wait till the fix is ready and by all means do NOT use that dealer. $275 for a diag fee is ridiculous. That is 2 hours labor they are trying to charge you because they don't want to get the warranty pay of it. You have a powertrain warranty, so even the diag is covered.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Kevin_S17

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 Vert Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Lastly GM knows this issue very well. Don't be afraid to talk to the service manger directly, call the customer satisfaction help line or contact the area manager if the dealer starts trying to charge you for a very well documented defect.
I concur. The upper levels of GM were very helpful when the dealer that had my car was "giving me the run around". I called GM customer service and started a case.
Kevin_S17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Oramac2016

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
I just started a case as well. I’ve been told to wait for the 2019 fix as well. Honestly I really feel that’s unacceptable.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
Issues like this is always stressful and rarely do those affected feel the response is acceptable. While I certainly am not happy with this after hearing the scope of the issue I can understand why this is taking so long to roll out. I would suspect that in addition to actually figuring out what the source of the problem they now have to build and stock replacement parts for what will most likely be a full on recall.

After working for a large computer company and being part of a large recall it is truly hard to fully appreciate the scope of all the moving parts that go into rolling a fix like this out. Best you can hope for is that customers who have experienced multiple failures make it to the front of the line.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote