Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 AM   #1
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Bose Audio Upgrade

I’ve read many posts on the topic and it seems that folks either go big with OE integration DSP processors and full systems or decide to live with the stock system. I’ve recently heard a new resurgence of discontent and I also was unhappy with the Bose system in a $60K car, so I thought I’d post my compromise system that I’m very please with.

Audio is very personal, but my two issues were front speaker bias sounds stage and empty mid bass. I listen to a very wide range of music, but I will sacrifice deep, deep bass for balanced and tight. Unfortunately the stock Bose system didn’t provide either.

I decided to leave the dash & doors alone with the idea that enhancing bass down to about 30Hz and the sound stage with improved voice and high end accuracy in the rear of the car would create a much improved sound stage.

******** offers a nice trunk box for a 10” sub and a plug & play high level harness. I used a very inexpensive AudioContol LC2i high to low level converter with level control and remote turn-on to provide RCA outputs to a JL 600/1 amp driving a JL 10W6v3 10” sub, but any decent quality mono amp and 10” sub will work fine. It’s forward facing behind the rear seat, so there’s lots of attenuation anyway. I have the subharmonic high pass on at 30Hz and adjustable low pass set to 100Hz.

The biggest issue is stage and the Bose system uses 2ohm speakers for efficiency, so I chose to replace the stock 5” one-way rear side speakers with 6.5”, 2-way, 2.5 ohm infinity Kappa 62ix speakers with a range from 45Hz to 25kHz. These speakers have built-in cross overs and adjustable tweeter direction.... they sound amazing and cost $100 shipped from Amazon. Installation of the infinity speakers takes about 2 hours and they mount to the stock location without modification using supplied adaptors and fasteners. I’m sure they will be a significant improvement without the sub, but I did both at the same time, so I can’t quantify one without the other. I considered a similar JBL, but decided on these based on reviews that the JBL highs are too bright for some. The Infinity’s are also about $50 cheaper for exactly the same published specs.

For tone settings I have fade set to about 10% - 15% rear bias because the Kappa’s aren’t quite as loud as fronts as they are 2.5 ohm; treble is set at about 80% high, mid is at 0, and bass at about -5%.

Balance is much better than stock with much clearer voice / highs, and tighter bass. It’s not optimal for very deep low end response, but audio quality is now respectable for this quality of car and you can do it on a reasonable budget.
Attached Images

Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:12 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Nice, I may go similar when I get around to doing my build.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Its tough to upgrade the Bose system...most either do subs only or a complete upgrade like i did. problem is if you leave the Bose amp in the mix, you will always be fighting the gains, eq curve, bass roll off, delays and other signal processing the Bose amp is doing...
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #4
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecboy View Post
Its tough to upgrade the Bose system...most either do subs only or a complete upgrade like i did. problem is if you leave the Bose amp in the mix, you will always be fighting the gains, eq curve, bass roll off, delays and other signal processing the Bose amp is doing...
Totally agree this approach wont have the sound quality of a full tear out, but with noise cancellation defeated it’s a good compromise for the $$ IMHO. I wasn’t willing to make the full rebuild investment and I’m really happy with this result.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I chose to replace the stock 5” one-way rear side speakers with 6.5”, 2-way, 2.5 ohm infinity Kappa 62ix speakers with a range from 45Hz to 25kHz.... they mount to the stock location without modification using supplied adaptors and fasteners.
Hmmm... How hard is it to pop the rear panels off?
I have a pair of 2 ohm 6.5" JBL GTO's sitting in a box somewhere (GTO 627's, to be precise).

Now that you have the stock 5" speakers out, any chance you could measure the voice coil resistance? I am curious to see if Bose speakers actually come close to 2 ohm. Most speakers advertised as 2 ohm are actually in the 2-3 ohm range. Impedance will vary with frequency, but can never go lower than the VCR.

Last edited by ctrlz; 09-20-2019 at 11:28 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
tecboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
Totally agree this approach wont have the sound quality of a full tear out, but with noise cancellation defeated it’s a good compromise for the $$ IMHO. I wasn’t willing to make the full rebuild investment and I’m really happy with this result.

That is the most important thing...you are happy with the way it sounds
Old 09-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
IMO, this car is too loud to spend money on the Audio system, it's not a Lexus.

For me, the Bose sounds good enough. If I want to listen to high quality Audio, I go home and listen to my B&W home system.

Everyone has their preferences of course.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #8
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Basically, I am of the same opinion. But I don't mind "helping" the audio by deleting the sound tube, switching to non-run-flat tires, and popping in speakers I already own. Replacing the 5" speakers with 6.5" coaxials might actually be noticeable. If I do it, I'll probably do one side then A/B it.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:29 PM   #9
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Hmmm... How hard is it to pop the rear panels off?
I have a pair of 2 ohm 6.5" JBL GTO's sitting in a box somewhere (GTO 627's, to be precise).

Now that you have the stock 5" speakers out, any chance you could measure the voice coil resistance? I am curious to see if Bose speakers actually come close to 2 ohm. Most speakers advertised as 2 ohm are actually in the 2-3 ohm range. Impedance will vary with frequency, but can never go lower than the VCR.
Voice coil resistance is 1.7 ohms on the stock Bose speakers I pulled out.

The GTO’s should fit perfectly as they are almost identical speakers to the Kappa’s. Side panel removal is extremely easy; removing the seat bottom was the most difficult part for me because is was tentative to pull hard enough.

Shouldn’t take longer than 2 hours for the job. I installed sound deadening material while it was apart.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post

For me, the Bose sounds good enough. If I want to listen to high quality Audio, I go home and listen to my B&W home system.

Everyone has their preferences of course.
The speaker box and sound deadening material have a dramatic impact on ambient cabin noise. It might also help that I don’t have a sunroof.

I enjoy good audio in my car and home, but your point is valid. I do use the stealth exhaust mode frequently.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Are you getting good high end from the new speakers? Do the stock 5" Bose speakers get sent enough high frequencies from the Bose amp to make the switch to 2 ways worth it? I was under the impression from reading other posts that the amplified signals going to each speaker are not flat and not full range.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Ty for sharing. I’ve always had subs in my cars and will get a 10 for this one also next year. . Do not have Bose so my setup will probably be different. Can I ask where you got your box? Ty
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Are you getting good high end from the new speakers? Do the stock 5" Bose speakers get sent enough high frequencies from the Bose amp to make the switch to 2 ways worth it? I was under the impression from reading other posts that the amplified signals going to each speaker are not flat and not full range.
The two- way speakers sound great and definitely have nice high frequency response, so I’d say they’re receiving a full range signal
Old 09-21-2019, 02:09 AM   #14
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Nice write up. Some good detailed information, much appreciated. Most with the Bose system don't need or want to do a full tear out.

Although I am by no means an audiophile, I love music. I usually don't even have the stereo system on for daily driving, but when I do a long road trip, I use it as an opportunity to listen to music. Unbalanced frequency response is fatiguing to listen to, and if you want to listen to a whole album or shuffle songs on a long roadtrip, this stuff is super important.

If I end up deciding to keep my current 2.0T forever, I will do a full tear out of the stock system.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote