Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
HyperBlueSS1le

Drives: 2018 SS 1le
Best option for primary cats

Getting ready to upgrade the fuel system to the full LT4 setup and wanted to address the issue of primary cats at the same time. I was planning on going with Kooks high flow or green cats until I saw a video from CSP of the green cats failing after a few dyno pulls. Apparently Kooks also refuses to replace what seem to be defective parts. Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
*Procharger P1x w/ stage 2 IC and big red BOV* Full LT4 Fuel System* New Era Performance cat delete pipes* MM Wild catch can* AWE touring axel back exhaust *P3 multi gauge *ACS composite Zl1 side skirts * Zl1 1le painted flowtie
HyperBlueSS1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Omega

Drives: G8
I used universal high flow Magnaflow cats. They seem to be holding up pretty well after 10K miles I think they were $150/pr

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperBlueSS1le View Post
Getting ready to upgrade the fuel system to the full LT4 setup and wanted to address the issue of primary cats at the same time. I was planning on going with Kooks high flow or green cats until I saw a video from CSP of the green cats failing after a few dyno pulls. Apparently Kooks also refuses to replace what seem to be defective parts. Thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
Just watched the vid. Pretty bad fail on brand new cats on the 4th pull. Powder everywhere and bits and pieces of the corrugate all the way back to the tips. What a mess.

TLDW starts at 5:52:
https://youtu.be/2UL3szEXOcQ?t=352

CSP didn't say why Kooks refused the warranty, and there's nothing obvious on Kook's website warranty page about why they might...
Quote:
CATALYTIC CONVERTERS
Vehicles equipped with a factory supercharger or turbocharger will only receive a warranty on Kooks Catalysts if they have the GREENCATS. There will be no warranty on our standard high flow catalyst if the vehicle comes equipped with a factory forced induction system. Furthermore, we recommend upgrading to the GREENCATS if your application will be producing more than 600 horsepower. GREENCATS can be installed on any of the Kooks exhaust systems.

Example: A Ford Mustang GT500, which comes equipped with a supercharger from Ford, will only receive a Kooks-backed warranty if they are running the GREENCATS.

Kooks Headers and Exhaust EPA-Certified GREENCATS come with a 2-year limited replacement warranty. The standard High Flow Race Catalyst come with a 1-year limited replacement warranty. The catalyst in question will need to have a Returned Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and follow the same warranty return policy as stated above. Once the product is received by Kooks, it will be evaluated to determine the reason for failure. If it is a defective part that caused the failure, then the said catalyst will be replaced and shipped back to the consumer at no charge. If it is determined to be an issue other than part failure, then we can offer a cat replacement program at a discounted rate.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
HyperBlueSS1le

Was thinking of going with these:

http://caperformance.com/product/test-product/
*Procharger P1x w/ stage 2 IC and big red BOV* Full LT4 Fuel System* New Era Performance cat delete pipes* MM Wild catch can* AWE touring axel back exhaust *P3 multi gauge *ACS composite Zl1 side skirts * Zl1 1le painted flowtie
Old 09-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
I have them, them were great, I thought they went belly up?

For cats melting down, at 400 to 500 HP per cat on alcohol, running at max rich HP, I would imagine there is a whole lot of incomplete burn hydrocarbons flying out the header, that is just a surface to completely oxide the hydrocarbon chain. Who knows what temps the stoichiometric reaction is reaching. When I was researching exhaust valves basically all alcohol race engines were in the inconel range of exhaust temps. For what is worth on my 4 bangers (put out the same HP per cat), I was using HJS metalic cats much bigger and heavier than my kooks cats.

Sorry it has just been too long since I ordered a metalic core for my 4 banger... Anyway here is a little blurb.

I think I was paying about $400 a cat.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...t-vs-metal-cat

https://www.hjs-motorsport.de/produc...catalysts.html

Aint small or cheap, but I never blew one out. I thought they were a Swedish company since I got turned on to the product when I was hotrodding my Volvo V70 R and S40 T5 ( I hotrod everything). Maybe HJS is the OEM? dunno, Germany... working with Swedes.. be very careful yah.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 09-08-2019 at 04:52 PM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
HyperBlueSS1le

Ended up going with this

http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...ete-pipes.html
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
In my opinion after 20 passes down the track and the inside turned into a big ball and about screwed my motor up, don't run them.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
HyperBlueSS1le

You think I would have the same issue with general street use? Aren't they basically just straight pipes with a bung for the o2 sensor?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
You think I would have the same issue with general street use? Aren't they basically just straight pipes with a bung for the o2 sensor?
I think laynlo was referring to cats, not your delete pipes...
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
HyperBlueSS1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
I think laynlo was referring to cats, not your delete pipes...
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #11
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Makes sense. Thanks.
There was another member here with a Whipple making around 620-630 that had those same delete pipes. He gained 19whp by switching to long tube headers. So I would say they help the stock Tri-y's quite a bit.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
eficalibrator

Drives: 2009 C6
How many guys with failed cats can prove that their tune wasn't letting the bricks get too far over 900*C? I'm betting ZERO because aftermarket tooners rarely even collect that data.

Incomplete combustion, inappropriate AFR's, and "conservative spark" are all great ways to destroy catalysts whether they are OEM or otherwise.
eficalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
How many guys with failed cats can prove that their tune wasn't letting the bricks get too far over 900*C? I'm betting ZERO because aftermarket tooners rarely even collect that data.

Incomplete combustion, inappropriate AFR's, and "conservative spark" are all great ways to destroy catalysts whether they are OEM or otherwise.
Agree 100%. The guy in the CSP video even admitted he needed to add fuel, so I'm not giving that result too much credit.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #14
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Agree 100%. The guy in the CSP video even admitted he needed to add fuel, so I'm not giving that result too much credit.
I was running the exact same cats for about 2,500 miles. Im actually selling them now that I switched to a flex fuel tune. It's amazing how horrible the raw gas smell is on regular pump gas but on E85 with offroad pipes I can barely smell anything unless were talking first startup.

Anyhow fwiw these Ultra high GESI cats looked absolutely flawless when I inspected them and they have had quite a number of street pulls on them.

The CSP Video you could see what looked like cat material on every pull coming out the back (dust). Who's to say those weren't already defective from the factory or maybe they were dropped in shipping or something along the way. You just never know.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote