Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Blocked brake ducts the 6th Gen 2SS Vert?

The brake ducts on my '16 2ss vert came blocked from the factory as the front lower grill has a non-removable layer of plastic that's integrated into the surface to block the airflow.

Is this consistent on everyone's Gen6 vert or do I have an early production exception?

I'm looking into unblocking them to provide better cooling as I've had several sets of front rotors replaced by Chevy for warping while the car was under the bumper to bumper warranty.

If the blocked brake vents is common on the vert, has anyone opened them up?
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
That’s normal. The convertible models don’t come with the outboard aux coolers, so they get a different grill than the coupe models. I don’t think that section feeds the brake area though, only the outboard radiators.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #3
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Convertibles don't have the vent in the grill or in the felt wheel liner like the coupes. That seems unusual to have multiple rotors warp. Maybe the root problem is an issue with a caliper? If you drive the car hard then bedding the brakes per Chevy procedure may help.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 AM   #4
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
I have looked at a 2016 SS Convertible and it had block-off plates in the lower grille. Not molded into the grille, they were added on. There were no brake ducts or aux cooler ducts, and no aux coolers on the car from the factory.

It is possible (with some work) to add the brake ducts from the SS Coupe if you want to, in which case, I'd suggest just modifying the block-off plates to allow air to get to those ducts. I would not remove the part of the block-offs that would go to the aux coolers when you don't have them though.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
I have looked at a 2016 SS Convertible and it had block-off plates in the lower grille. Not molded into the grille, they were added on. There were no brake ducts or aux cooler ducts, and no aux coolers on the car from the factory.

It is possible (with some work) to add the brake ducts from the SS Coupe if you want to, in which case, I'd suggest just modifying the block-off plates to allow air to get to those ducts. I would not remove the part of the block-offs that would go to the aux coolers when you don't have them though.
+1 I (we) added the coupe braking ducts onto my Vert, and only cut enough of the block-off plate to allow for proper airflow into the intake of the newly installed brake ducting. Note the "newly installed", because nothing will be behind the block-off plate to direct air to the brakes. Also traced and cut the wheel well liner a lil smaller than what is traced out for a fine OEM finish. Also, added the proper deflectors behind the calipers. If I could I take Pics for you and provide the part numbers I would, but we are currently camping. Also while you have the front grill off, if you do, this would be a fine time to address the air intake block-off that people have talked about that's preventing better flow to stock air box. Would only consider this if you only drive in "good" weather. Cheers!
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #6
vidkidZ
Mobile/Embedded Architect

Drives: '16 2SS white convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
+1 I (we) added the coupe braking ducts onto my Vert, and only cut enough of the block-off plate to allow for proper airflow into the intake of the newly installed brake ducting. Note the "newly installed", because nothing will be behind the block-off plate to direct air to the brakes. Also traced and cut the wheel well liner a lil smaller than what is traced out for a fine OEM finish. Also, added the proper deflectors behind the calipers. If I could I take Pics for you and provide the part numbers I would, but we are currently camping. Also while you have the front grill off, if you do, this would be a fine time to address the air intake block-off that people have talked about that's preventing better flow to stock air box. Would only consider this if you only drive in "good" weather. Cheers!
While I've seen mods on 2009 370z where they piped air to the calipers by removing the cutout behind the lower fangs, a set of pictures of an existing mod for the Camaro 2SS convertible when you get back from Camping would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Convertibles don't have the vent in the grill or in the felt wheel liner like the coupes. That seems unusual to have multiple rotors warp. Maybe the root problem is an issue with a caliper? If you drive the car hard then bedding the brakes per Chevy procedure may help.
The extra weight of the Convertible SS, and reduced cooling of the brakes is a bad combination for rush hour traffic on downhill freeways in the Seattle metro area that tend to back up at the wrong place. The stock GM parts can't hold up to the extra weight of the convertible and reduced brake cooling from the factory.

In addition to replacing the rotors with Centric high carbon plain 125 cryo-treated series with PowerStop Z26 pads, I think a a mod to improve airflow is in order to help my vert deal with the extra weight.
vidkidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
driven2exceSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkidZ View Post
While I've seen mods on 2009 370z where they piped air to the calipers by removing the cutout behind the lower fangs, a set of pictures of an existing mod for the Camaro 2SS convertible when you get back from Camping would be greatly appreciated.
Haven't forgotten Sir, car has been in the trailer. Will try and get some pics at the track soon. Sorry to leave you waiting on this...
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 07-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
kaydoe

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss convertible
I would like to see this too please.
kaydoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #9
driven2exceSS

Here is a view from the front that I had that shows the "block-off" is cut to allow for air flow to the installed brake ducts behind the lower grill. I will gladly get better pics and some of the inner wheel well too soon. I'd also have under car pics too if my situation was not currently being "on the road". Sorry... LMK
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
driven2exceSS

Had the wheels off today, but it was too damn hot out there today, and wasn't thinking past being task oriented. Sorry Still thinking about it obviously, just not at the right moment(s) lol
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
driven2exceSS

Pics
Attached Images