Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
BH1

Drives: 2016 2SS M6
Alky Control

Thinking about adding Alky Control. My current setup is LT4 blower, LT4 injectors and LT4 HPFP.

As I understand it, the Methonal will allow me to run higher boost and more timing. Currently at 10lbs and showing 590whp on a dyno.

With the Alky control and a good tune, what additional horsepower can I expect to make?
BH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
BH1

Come on folks, lots of knowledge on here, someone has to have an educated or experience answer.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #3
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
Come on folks, lots of knowledge on here, someone has to have an educated or experience answer.
I am not the right guy to answer your question, but the idea of Alky injection is to basically provide more fuel so you can run more timing and make more power.

The real challenges is related to your blower, right? Can you run more boost? is the LT4 supercharger capable of it? There is clearly a reason why people take the LT4 blower off the ZL1's and the Z06's. It's a good entry level setup, but not much upside.

Maybe Laynlo will chime in. I think he was running 670rwhp (under reported since he dyno'd in 5th) with basically just the Magnuson and Alky injection all last year (running 11-12 psi).

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
BH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I am not the right guy to answer your question, but the idea of Alky injection is to basically provide more fuel so you can run more timing and make more power.

The real challenges is related to your blower, right? Can you run more boost? is the LT4 supercharger capable of it? There is clearly a reason why people take the LT4 blower off the ZL1's and the Z06's. It's a good entry level setup, but not much upside.

Maybe Laynlo will chime in. I think he was running 670rwhp (under reported since he dyno'd in 5th) with basically just the Magnuson and Alky injection all last year (running 11-12 psi).
Thanks for the reply.

I think the LT4 blower is capable of a little more, but don’t know how much more; reliably. I know it already spins relatively fast at 10 lbs, but the meth should keep the extra heat down as well, right? What’s the boost on a stock LT4?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #5
Drsagacity

I think the LT4 is lower compression so I would expect the exact same setup would run lower boost than the LT1. The ZL1 runs just under 10 psi.

TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 04-17-2018 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
BH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post
I think the LT4 is lower compression so I would expect the exact same setup would run lower boost than the LT1. The ZL1 runs just under 10 psi.
Pretty sure you’re right.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Drsagacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1 View Post
Pretty sure you’re right.
Can you even get a smaller pulley for the LT4 blower?

TBD performance
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
Depends on how much methanol you push and how rich you're currently running because of octane limit.

As long as you treat this as a secondary fuel system (inspect lines, keep track of proper pressue, keep an eye on low/firing lights) I believe it is a great power/safety adder. I say secondary fuel system because if you're looking to go above your current power, you'll be introducing a meth dependency. Like plate spraying nitrous (as opposed to port spraying) you sort of run into the same limitations of having zero control over how much gets into the individual ports, but you can assume that it'll travel relative to the oxygen flow anyway.

I've done a year on alkymeth so far, controller satellite dial is at 6 so I'm not pushing max effort with it, wanted to keep the numbers reasonable because I didn't want to find out that my piston gap is not boost friendly the hard way lol... But my engine hasn't popped and I don't remember ever driving even once without going WOT through at least 1 maybe 2 gears even just moving the car down the street to adjust parking lol. so take that as you will..

I will add that the instructions are absolute garbage when I bought the "kit"... the install is a pain in the ass depending on how well you pre-plan placement... and my pump starting pissing meth out of the head of it. Thankfully I caught it before anything serious happened. Alky was very quick about replacement and all it cost me was shipping to Florida.

All in all I'd say I'm pleased. I'd be singing a different tune if I hadn't caught the leak though, so this goes back to what I said; Treat this as a secondary fuel system as far as inspection goes and you'll be solid.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
BH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxit View Post
Depends on how much methanol you push and how rich you're currently running because of octane limit.

As long as you treat this as a secondary fuel system (inspect lines, keep track of proper pressue, keep an eye on low/firing lights) I believe it is a great power/safety adder. I say secondary fuel system because if you're looking to go above your current power, you'll be introducing a meth dependency. Like plate spraying nitrous (as opposed to port spraying) you sort of run into the same limitations of having zero control over how much gets into the individual ports, but you can assume that it'll travel relative to the oxygen flow anyway.

I've done a year on alkymeth so far, controller satellite dial is at 6 so I'm not pushing max effort with it, wanted to keep the numbers reasonable because I didn't want to find out that my piston gap is not boost friendly the hard way lol... But my engine hasn't popped and I don't remember ever driving even once without going WOT through at least 1 maybe 2 gears even just moving the car down the street to adjust parking lol. so take that as you will..

I will add that the instructions are absolute garbage when I bought the "kit"... the install is a pain in the ass depending on how well you pre-plan placement... and my pump starting pissing meth out of the head of it. Thankfully I caught it before anything serious happened. Alky was very quick about replacement and all it cost me was shipping to Florida.

All in all I'd say I'm pleased. I'd be singing a different tune if I hadn't caught the leak though, so this goes back to what I said; Treat this as a secondary fuel system as far as inspection goes and you'll be solid.
Thanks. I’m not as often in the boost as you are, but I’m looking for an additional, relatively inexpensive, power adder. My car did 174.3 in the TX Mile this year and I’m looking to eclipse 180 next year.

A buddy and I installed a supercharger on his C7 a few years ago, and when he went to have it tuned, they added the Alky Control kit. He’s able to run more boost and timing than I can and is putting down an additional 70whp than the LT1 in my Camaro. Granted, he has headers as well, but I don’t think we get much on headers in our cars.

If I add the Alky kit, I’ll have the shop do it with the tune. The supercharger install was pretty straightforward, but I’ll pass on the meth install.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #10
neely_8

Drives: zl1 ABM A10
@exxit have you had to change out the pump yet ? Mine took a sht all of a sudden and won’t hold fluid, assuming it’s the seals on the pump. Mines behind the washer tank in front of the door hinge so I’m assuming the fender has to come off. With e85 and alky I make 806 rwtq but dealing with the alky could prove to be a PITA
neely_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by neely_8 View Post
@exxit have you had to change out the pump yet ? Mine took a sht all of a sudden and won’t hold fluid, assuming it’s the seals on the pump. Mines behind the washer tank in front of the door hinge so I’m assuming the fender has to come off. With e85 and alky I make 806 rwtq but dealing with the alky could prove to be a PITA
My pump went within 12 months of installation. There is a 12 month warranty but it's based on the date scratched on to the pump. They do refurbish them but I bought a new one and was going to send the old one for refurbishing to keep one on hand. Here is a video I watched to replace it.

2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:17 AM   #12
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I can share my experience if it helps

I have a Alky kit on my car (all stock LT1 with LT4 HPFP, LT4 Low Side & LT4 Injectors & stock fuel lobe, 10lbs of boost with a ECS s/c kit) and run a dual nozzle Alky kit. Car is tuned on E85.

My tuner first dialed the car in on 91, then setup the Alky kit and did another pull. The dials on the controller were set as they came from Alky, with the “ramp in” knob set to 5. Run to run it picked up nearly 70hp. Then dialed it in on E85. Currently running strait methanol (no water)

I didnt really pursue the kit as a power adder, it was really just out of temp control for the stock LT1 pistons / rings. My tuner insisted I did it for that reason alone, or commit to only about 6-7lbs of boost.

As for your application - your thinking is correct, but you have to consider yourself being “meth dependent” on the fuel supply. My setup works well but I am RIGHT at the end of the LT4 fuel supply with the stock cam. So close that if the E content of the fuel gets over 82% or so, the high side pressure will start to nose over. You have to get comfortable with the fact that the Meth pump is all that is between it living and dying.

Now I think it is a safe, reliable product, however I have goals to get into pulling the engine this winter and doing pistons & cam so I can rely on the meth for what it is good for - temp control, and not part of the primary fuel supply.

You had mentioned you want a cheap way to add some power - The initial cost of the Alky kit is pretty fair (around $1000) however it is not a install for the faint hearted. I did my own, but if you are paying to have it done, then I would budget another $1000. As far as the install, the instructions are not really specific to the 6th gen other than a couple of pictures, and it is pretty involved. Have to pull the nose off the car, passenger fender, and most of the interior short of the seats (center console, radio, dash pad, gauges, glove box).

I for one would think than any PD style blower should run meth with the heat situation, just understand that if you are running meth on one it will be infested thru the entire blower, so I am not sure what long term effect that will have on the seals.

If I was you, I would consider a cam swap as your next mod as you are going to need the HP fuel supply anyways, and the power you can get from the meth you can get from the cam. And full investment it is not that much of a bridge in cost. And consider the LT4 blower is a good setup as it was designed, but the more you spin it the more heat it will make and the sooner it will run out of air. It gets really inefficient really fast. It’s no Whipple or Maggie.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
I have had Alky Control on both my turbo truck and now turbo camaro. the truck used it for cooling because i had upgraded fuel system dual m10 nozzles. The camaro uses it as a fuel source with 3 m15 nozzles. Both have worked great and never had an issue.

I am very tempted to dig into what Atomic found was the pump was using more power than it was harnessed for so it showed a drop in power that effected flow and pressure with three nozzles. He basically fixed that with a "hot wire" kit for the pump to make sure voltage stayed consistent.

similar to the JMS fuel pump kit. both seem like fantastic additions to our cars.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #14
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Anyone running the Alky methanol kit? If so are you using the washer fluid tank or an additional tank.
I was thinking of an additional tank either trunk or mounted somewhere else. It might be easier for the install I am having it done thought it would cut down on install time.. The extra coin for the tank might offset the labor cost.
Also if I ever need to replace the pump I don't have to take the front fender off.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote