Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #127
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Boost Creep: my experience was the same. Surprised to see the numbers as I did have the car on the rack at the 7000 mile point in the states at a reputable shop. Now 8000 miles later is consistently toe out. Germany uses majority of asphalt surfaces so assumed the lorry grooves was the cause. Still does it, but not nearly to the same degree.

FNxR3DNECK: Likely watching a few of the real ring kings will get you farther than watching my mistakes...:-)

Import Racing is north Stuttgart - may be a bit of a drive for you. Nonetheless, link:

https://www.importracing.de/

They also mount tires, so relieved to find a good shop that isn't challenged (and not restricted to the post offerings.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #128
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Boost Creep: my experience was the same. Surprised to see the numbers as I did have the car on the rack at the 7000 mile point in the states at a reputable shop. Now 8000 miles later is consistently toe out. Germany uses majority of asphalt surfaces so assumed the lorry grooves was the cause. Still does it, but not nearly to the same degree.
Yeah, mine still tram lines but more like I would expect, an occasional pull to one side or the other depending on the surface. Before it was a near constant battle with the wheel to maintain course.
Mine did it right out of the box so I didn't know any better.

Seriously think these cars should be aligned at the first oil change, wish I did mine then.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #129
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
No ZL1 1LE yet?
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #130
Tim M

Dave! Not yet...you definitely sold me on the motor though! That is what my SS model was lacking - the thrust in the backside. Many thanks for the taste...that will cost me some $$.

Ring is rained out so planned to rotate tires/change spark plugs instead. Yawn.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:58 PM   #131
Tim M

Took Labor Day off and used one of these to get to Paris:

Hit a topspeed of 317 KMH...equals 197 mph!:

Seemed like a non-event...eating my McDonalds hamburgers as we whizzed thru the country side. A car is similar at that speed, no?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #132
Tim M

Finished the spark plug change - only took weeks. Bit cautious when working on the car in the nice days...with the logistics for parts so lengthy...

Only damaged one wire...luckily I borrowed a plug boot remover tool from a friend - lifesaver:

I also rotated tires...discovered this:

No doubt main contributor was the mis-adjusted toe out - I have plenty of life on the majority of the tire - but not that inside...I will lever on my first set of GY's - they have plenty of life. Only need them to get me to winter where I will install a fresh set.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:04 PM   #133
Tim M

With an updated alignment and fresh plugs in the car - ready for another lap...but first a 6 hour foray to the Frankfurt Auto Show. I'm not much of a car show guy, but @ 13 Euro a ticket...impressive at the displays and selection of marques. Disappointed at the lack of performance cars...all about electricity - yawn. One might say Frankfurt is about efficiency/technology and Goodwood is about performance...the displays at Goodwood exceeded the German show a good margin.

Coolest thing:

New Lambo?

Is that a wing?:

Sat in an NSX (likely the closest I will ever get to one):

10 piston caliper brakes:

and since I was none to far from the Ring...hoped to do a few laps on a quiet weekday...unfortunately, it was not quiet, but medium in activity. Precluded any clean laps...ran a couple of 8:01 B to G rounds...perfect conditions otherwise-55 degrees and blue sky.

Unsure if the rear tires are not the same stick as the fronts or the front end is sticking better than the rear now with -2.2 camber, but the car had a bit more tendency for oversteer (minor). The cooler weather kept engine temps to 212 coolant and 268 oil. Sliding thru a few corners makes one smile...

Drive home was uneventful and without traffic surprisingly. The Camaro pulled a couple of 250+ KMH runs...fuel mileage is atrocious as one can imagine. The Ring laps were 5.3 mpg!

Continue to marvel at the car. The limits are so high...exceeds my capabilities by a good margin. Will take some laps to reach a level I'm comfortable on the Ring.

Last edited by Tim M; 09-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #134
red6.2

Drives: 2010 camaro
10 piston caliper brakes? that ludicrous imagine that on a 1le. That would be kinda dangerous for daily drivers and would cause others to rear end you real quick
red6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #135
Tim M

:-)

Believe the multi-piston caliper is an attempt to put even pressure against a very large pad...ie. for even wear/friction.

We've come along way from the single piston sliding caliper on my 1969 Nova - big improvement was just disc brakes alone in those times!

I'm quite content with the OEM 6 piston jobs on this 2018...
Old 09-25-2019, 09:28 PM   #136
Tim M

This was fun:

Old 09-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #137
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
This was fun:
Fun for sure! The only mod you have on the engine is the GM Performance CAI with the included retune?
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #138
Tim M

Yes...that mod equals exactly 1 WHP (405 WHP vs 404) over another tested stock 1LE car. In other words, that cold air does nothing.

Nonetheless, Chevy rates the 1LE at 175...seems about right.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #139
RobbyBeefcake87

Car love

Quote:
With an updated alignment and fresh plugs in the car - ready for another lap...but first a 6 hour foray to the Frankfurt Auto Show. I'm not much of a car show guy, but @ 13 Euro a ticket...impressive at the displays and selection of marques. Disappointed at the lack of performance cars...all about electricity - yawn. One might say Frankfurt is about efficiency/technology and Goodwood is about performance...the displays at Goodwood exceeded the German show a good margin.

Coolest thing:

New Lambo?

Is that a wing?:

Sat in an NSX (likely the closest I will ever get to one):

10 piston caliper brakes:

and since I was none to far from the Ring...hoped to do a few laps on a quiet weekday...unfortunately, it was not quiet, but medium in activity. Precluded any clean laps...ran a couple of 8:01 B to G rounds...perfect conditions otherwise-55 degrees and blue sky.

Unsure if the rear tires are not the same stick as the fronts or the front end is sticking better than the rear now with -2.2 camber, but the car had a bit more tendency for oversteer (minor). The cooler weather kept engine temps to 212 coolant and 268 oil. Sliding thru a few corners makes one smile...

Drive home was uneventful and without traffic surprisingly. The Camaro pulled a couple of 250+ KMH runs...fuel mileage is atrocious as one can imagine. The Ring laps were 5.3 mpg!

Continue to marvel at the car. The limits are so high...exceeds my capabilities by a good margin. Will take some laps to reach a level I'm comfortable on the Ring.
It's really cool to see how much you're enjoying and appreciating your 1le considering how things started a little rocky with the whole airbox debacle.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #140
Tim M

Agreed. Car is rock solid and really the blame is completely on a dealer for cause and their unwillingness to get involved to fix it.

I have enough miles on it now, that I hardly have a concern over reliability even driving 6 hours and running it full bore in a foreign country.

Of course, some of us are fools and mess with its success...last trip to the US resulted in one of these following me home:

I certainly don't need it/desire it on the track, but on the street it just feels like it needs more go...