Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #1
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
Blown MRC shock?

I pulled my MRC strut from the car last night and noticed some oil deposition around the strut base and rod.
Is this a blown shock?
Car has 32k miles. Stock suspension, no modification.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
I don't think it's blown bud... It's normal for MRC shocks to 'seep' a little. Fairly common and I wouldn't worry about this one too much. My C6GS had MRC and seeped more than that. The 1LE has too few miles on it to tell.

Corvetteforum has quite a few threads on it (May want to search over there too).

Hope that helps a little...

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
nearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I don't think it's blown bud... It's normal for MRC shocks to 'seep' a little. Fairly common and I wouldn't worry about this one too much. My C6GS had MRC and seeped more than that. The 1LE has too few miles on it to tell.

Corvetteforum has quite a few threads on it (May want to search over there too).

Hope that helps a little...
I appreciate your feedback. Makes me feel relieved
I initially thought it wasn't a good sign because the other side didn't have any sign of 'seeping'.
Thank you so much!

Daniel
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I respectively disagree with devnull. The newer MRC shocks are a more precise item. That leak isn't going to heal itself and will probably get worse. Looks like a warranty claim to me. Get it fixed.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
nearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
I respectively disagree with devnull. The newer MRC shocks are a more precise item. That leak isn't going to heal itself and will probably get worse. Looks like a warranty claim to me. Get it fixed.
Thanks for the insight.
I did some googling and found several threads dealing with leaking MRC shocks on Caddys and Vettes.
Mine doesn't appear to be that severe compared to the ones in the thread, but I'll make sure to keep an eye on it.

There were also posts saying the shocks are considered wear & tear item, and most likely are not covered under warranty. :(

I wonder if having the MRC setting at 'Track' will make the shock leak or seep less.