BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #71
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefs1 View Post
I was just trying to say that gm could of put a little more hp in the car. I have in order a 17 zl1. So glad it has the lt4 . Great engine in a great car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
They have cafe standards to meet. They know guys will mod them, they build them so you can. The 5th gen is bomb proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
The "Grave Digger" rear differential eats a good bit of power in the 5th gen ZL1 but it is bullet proof.
Also have to remember a couple of things about that car....

...at the time of development, the GT500 had *just* 500 hp. The car got shelved due to corporate financial issues, and so was released far later than it was supposed to be. So by the time it came out, the GT500 already had 550hp, and soon after it was released, Ford introduced the 662hp version. Couldn't handle worth a crap, but on paper - it beat the 580hp figure of the ZL1. But if it came out on time...that 580 would have felt, and been much more impressive.

The company only had two extremely high output engines at the time...the 556hp LSA, and the 638 hp LS9...the LSA, I think retailed for $13,000, while the LS9 retailed for $19,000...$6000 is a huge deal when talking about a car that was originally offered with a price tag of $54,995, so they opted for the less expensive option.

It was based on the Zeta II chassis, that produced a 4000 G8 sedan. Considering all the equipment they packed into that car (including the cast-iron, truly bullet-proof "Grave Digger" differential)...tipping the scales at just 4120 is pretty impressive. But it was heavy, and that weight caused the car to be just a bit nose-heavy. Not bad...but just enough to notice it if you drove a 1LE and ZL1 back to back.

Despite (or thanks to) all of this...the development of the Gen 5 ZL1 was directly responsible for the mere existence of the 1LE, in the first place; and marked the beginning of Chevy engineers' understanding of working with an IRS system, and producing outstanding-handling Camaros. It was also the first "low cost" application of PTM, performance-oriented Gen III Magnetic Ride, Dual Mode Exhaust, functional downforce, and Hood Vent Heat Extractors.

Fast forward to today.....

The new ZL1 follows the same winning formula as Gen 5. With some changes....it now has the most powerful engine GM has ever produced (for now ); it features all of the most advanced trick-tech the company has to offer (besides CCM brakes), including a slightly better performance electronics suite than even the Z06; it's dropped 200+ lbs; increased chassis stiffness, and improved driving dynamics...all wrapped into a scary-aggressive design utilizing highly specialized aerodynamic development, all at a base-price that's cheaper than a Grand Sport Corvette.

Holy. Crap.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #72
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefs1 View Post
I was just trying to say that gm could of put a little more hp in the car. I have in order a 17 zl1. So glad it has the lt4 . Great engine in a great car.
There will never be a factory hp figure that is 'enough' for everybody.

If the ZL1 had 1500 hp, somebody would still want 2000 because MOAR!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #73
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

...at the time of development, the GT500 had *just* 500 hp. The car got shelved due to corporate financial issues, and so was released far later than it was supposed to be. So by the time it came out, the GT500 already had 550hp, and soon after it was released, Ford introduced the 662hp version. Couldn't handle worth a crap, but on paper - it beat the 580hp figure of the ZL1. But if it came out on time...that 580 would have felt, and been much more impressive.

The company only had two extremely high output engines at the time...the 556hp LSA, and the 638 hp LS9...the LSA, I think retailed for $13,000, while the LS9 retailed for $19,000...$6000 is a huge deal when talking about a car that was originally offered with a price tag of $54,995, so they opted for the less expensive option.

It was based on the Zeta II chassis, that produced a 4000 G8 sedan. Considering all the equipment they packed into that car (including the cast-iron, truly bullet-proof "Grave Digger" differential)...tipping the scales at just 4120 is pretty impressive. But it was heavy, and that weight caused the car to be just a bit nose-heavy. Not bad...but just enough to notice it if you drove a 1LE and ZL1 back to back.

Despite (or thanks to) all of this...the development of the Gen 5 ZL1 was directly responsible for the mere existence of the 1LE, in the first place; and marked the beginning of Chevy engineers' understanding of working with an IRS system, and producing outstanding-handling Camaros. It was also the first "low cost" application of PTM, performance-oriented Gen III Magnetic Ride, Dual Mode Exhaust, functional downforce, and Hood Vent Heat Extractors.

The new ZL1 follows the same winning formula as Gen 5. With some changes....it now has the most powerful engine GM has ever produced (for now ); it features all of the most advanced trick-tech the company has to offer (besides CCM brakes), including a slightly better performance electronics suite than even the Z06; it's dropped 200+ lbs; increased chassis stiffness, and improved driving dynamics...all wrapped into a scary-aggressive design utilizing highly specialized aerodynamic development, all at a base-price that's cheaper than a Grand Sport Corvette.

Holy. Crap.
Nice write up. Hope it sinks in.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #74
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

Holy. Crap.
Great read! Thanks!

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #75
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Very good Mr Wyndham!

The only part I kind of disagree on is the nose heavy comment. The gen 5 ZL1 was actually very well balanced front to rear, while the gen 6 has more of its weight in the front. Doesn't necessarily mean the new car doesn't handle better though. From your very next sentence, it sounds like your comment mostly came due to the 1LE being balanced even better. I've never driven a 1LE, but the gen 5 ZL1 I tried out handled perfectly. It was dead neutral through the corners, on or off the gas! Way more than I can say about my 99 WS6 that would push on throttle, but loosened up nicely off the gas. I'm sure if I had the chance to drive the 1LE and ZL1 on a track, back to back, I would see what you're saying. It's just hard to believe they could make a car handle even better than the gen 5 ZL1 I drove, but I know they did, because many racers and reviewers claimed how much better the 1LE and Z28 handled in comparison.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote