Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #155
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Tiny update: The BMR rear anti sway bar bushing mounting bracket bolts, all 4, worked their way loose. Not just "not torqued anymore", but about 4 turns undone! The clanking in the rear end was very obvious as the bushings floated around. For a 10mm head bolt, they're now torqued beyond what they should be, and far beyond what they were with stock brackets. In retrospect I should've put some blue threadlocker on them. I suppose if they come loose again I will, possibly in combination with nord-locks. The Hotchkis ARB bushing mounts up front use a different design flange that don't "spring" against the fastener head, so they didn't loosen.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #156
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Are these the size of the splash shields you used on your front brakes?
Attached Images

carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #157
RUQWIKR

Drives: 1LEs
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Are these the size of the splash shields you used on your front brakes?
The one pictured is the one for the J6H (ZL1) fronts which is basically a cut down version of the SS 1LE (J6M) front shield. It is also the one included in the 6-piston LPO optioned front brake kit.
RUQWIKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #158
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUQWIKR View Post
The one pictured is the one for the J6H (ZL1) fronts which is basically a cut down version of the SS 1LE (J6M) front shield. It is also the one included in the 6-piston LPO optioned front brake kit.
What he said.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 AM   #159
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
They are also, also the SS track rotor shields.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #160
carguy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
What he said.
Ryephile, is that what you are using?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #161
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Ryephile, is that what you are using?
Yes.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #162
carguy55

Quote:
Yes.
Great, thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #163
Ryephile
Hot Dog

I just came back from my last track weekend of the year. Back to Grattan Raceway, instructing for the Great Lakes Lotus Club. They're such a great group of enthusiasts; fun, modest, and open to all cars that have passion in them.

The weather was pretty awful. Very rainy all weekend, and rather cold on Sunday. There was a narrow window around Sunday noon where the sky held the rain long enough for a dry line to form. The bulk of the weekend I ran the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but for three sessions on Sunday afternoon I ran the Supercar 3R's, where the conditions were nearly dry, dry but cold, and then rain soaked.

For how great the 4S's are on the street, they're truly bad in the wet on the track. Very sharp snapping breakaway with no communication. I even did a 180° spin coming onto the front straight, a rare error for me, because the tires snapped out so hard even with solely maintenance throttle on the corner exit. Yikes. Thankfully I stayed on-track, but the 4S's get a big thumbs down on wet-track from me.

The Supercar 3R's however turned out to be very Hoosier R7-esque in the wet, which is to say predictable and with a broad breakaway. Despite the overall grip being similar in the wet to the PS4S, the 3R's are much easier and enjoyable to drive in the wet, assuming there's no standing water of course. Given how chilly it was yesterday, I wasn't able to get the 3R's up to their happy place temperature-wise. As such I was a bit over one second off my pace from earlier this year. Given how much everyone else was also struggling, that's actually really great. For perspective, a good friend of mine that was also instructing this weekend has a well prepped Exige S, and he was about 3 seconds off his usual pace in that one dry session. He is an excellent driver and very consistent, so that tells me the track was significantly down on potential pace.

Finally, a discovery with PDR. I thought I could keep separate SD cards for each track, with their respective finish line data on each SD card. It turns out this doesn't work. After the first couple sessions I looked at the data and discovered I had 20 minute "laps", the system had either ignored or forgotten the finish line I marked the previous visit.

-->The PSA here is: mark your finish line every visit, no matter what SD card is plugged in!

You can easily see how dingy the sky is even when it stopped long enough to snap a couple pictures:
GLLC HPDE at Grattan, Oct 2018 by Ryephile, on Flickr

A pack of 911 GT3's were there on Sunday. Two of them were quite well driven. Every single one of them had to give up the point-bys as I reeled them in. +4 Internet track-day winning points for the 1LE.

Last edited by Ryephile; 11-06-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #164
RUQWIKR

So, what's the winter plans with the car?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #165
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
So, what's the winter plans with the car?
Put the winter wheels on it and drive it. The older I get the less I like the snow in general, but one saving grace is the car in Track:PTM:Wet is really fun in snow. You just mat the throttle pedal and steer.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #166
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Nice, man, I was hoping to get out to Gingerman once before the end of the season. Two opportunities left. We will see. If not, I plan on doing a lot next year.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #167
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Nice, man, I was hoping to get out to Gingerman once before the end of the season. Two opportunities left. We will see. If not, I plan on doing a lot next year.
Will you be at the Gingerman Season Ender in 2 weeks? It seems it'll be a full house; should be a good time if the weather is reasonable.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:31 PM   #168
RUQWIKR

Quote:
Put the winter wheels on it and drive it. The older I get the less I like the snow in general, but one saving grace is the car in Track:PTM:Wet is really fun in snow. You just mat the throttle pedal and steer.
I meant any tweaks, changes, before you take the winter wheels off in Spring and hit the track again?