Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #85
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
This is awful for you. What a PITA.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #86
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurus2SS View Post
Leave it to my luck for them to not be able to replicate the issue and then it break down on me 5 days later. Took the car home on Thursday the 8th. Drove it over the weekend with only 1 weird slow crank start. Come the 13 I come out to the battery dead and not wanting to crank at all. Tried jump starting it and the car turned over no problem. The car idled for about 5 minutes with the jumpers off and then the battery completely drained and turned the car off. Didn't even bother trying again and had it towed to chevy.
This is agonizing!

This latest report (and given everything that's been replaced) makes me think it is an intermittent connection problem. I would look at the big cables off the battery and see if they have bad crimps. You could also do a resistance check front-to-back.

Somebody said bad ground earlier in the thread. There is probably a negative cable running from the trunk to the alternator. I doubt GM would rely on the car structure for that connection. But the idea is valid.

EDIT: The battery is grounded in the trunk. The cable runs through a current sensor right next to the battery. I would look at the connections to the trunk. And make sure the negative cable is routed through the loop on the current sensor.

Last edited by ctrlz; 10-16-2020 at 12:25 PM.
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #87
Ailurus2SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
This is agonizing!

This latest report (and given everything that's been replaced) makes me think it is an intermittent connection problem. I would look at the big cables off the battery and see if they have bad crimps. You could also do a resistance check front-to-back.

Somebody said bad ground earlier in the thread. There is probably a negative cable running from the trunk to the alternator. I doubt GM would rely on the car structure for that connection. But the idea is valid.

EDIT: The battery is grounded in the trunk. The cable runs through a current sensor right next to the battery. I would look at the connections to the trunk. And make sure the negative cable is routed through the loop on the current sensor.
Chevy still has the car, going on 4 days now. I'll check the wires in the trunk once I get it back but I have no clue when that will be, still no update from them. Also I'm not too familiar with wiring so what would you recommend to check for resistances and what am I looking for exactly?
Ailurus2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 PM   #88
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Lord have mercy, I'll be so glad when they fix this car.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #89
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Remember back when electrical connections were simple?
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #90
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

I found this....

Chevrolet Camaro has inadequate heat shields that fail to protect the starter motor from engine bay heat. The additional heat allegedly puts resistance on the electrical conductors inside the motor, which forces it to use more power than usual to start the engine. This, in turn, can allegedly wear out the motor prematurely. It also says the starter motor issues will typically manifest in hot weather or directly after being driven and that the heating issues can damage the vehicle’s wiring and battery as well.

His wiring might be damaged.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #91
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Ailurus, any progress?
ctrlz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #92
Ailurus2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Ailurus, any progress?
So the car has been with them about 4 weeks now. They called me today and said I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow.

The control module that was replaced mid September for this issue apparently got burnt out again. So they replaced the module again and replaced the fuel pump with it.

The car apparently turns over no problem now but when it's shut off the battery completely drains and needs to be charged again so they're replacing the battery as well. Battery is going to come in tomorrow and that's when I should be able to pick the car up if the charge holds.

They said on top of it they want me to come once a week for a month to check the battery and alternator to make sure nothing is failing.

If this fixes the issue and it doesn't come back again, that would mean it was the fuel pump but I'm not sure how a fault fuel pump could have been destroying 5 batteries and the 2 modules for it.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:18 PM   #93
craigss50

Fingers crossed for you.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #94
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
So the car has been with them about 4 weeks now. They called me today and said I should be able to pick up the car tomorrow.

The control module that was replaced mid September for this issue apparently got burnt out again. So they replaced the module again and replaced the fuel pump with it.

The car apparently turns over no problem now but when it's shut off the battery completely drains and needs to be charged again so they're replacing the battery as well. Battery is going to come in tomorrow and that's when I should be able to pick the car up if the charge holds.

They said on top of it they want me to come once a week for a month to check the battery and alternator to make sure nothing is failing.

If this fixes the issue and it doesn't come back again, that would mean it was the fuel pump but I'm not sure how a fault fuel pump could have been destroying 5 batteries and the 2 modules for it.
If there were some sort of fault in the wiring of it, and it were "fooling" the control module into thinking it needed to remain powered (you know that noise you hear when you unlock the car after it sitting for a while? that's the fuel pump pressurizing the lines)...

I'll be honest, it sounds like a bit of a stretch, but the electronics in cars today do a lot of stuff that doesn't make much sense on the surface.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:23 PM   #95
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Quote:

Well...let us all bow our heads and
Old 11-20-2020, 12:40 AM   #96
Ailurus2SS

Ok had the car a week so far. Got the battery check after 4 days and they said it looks like its holding it's charge and hasn't changed since install. No hiccups during start ups at all.

The car definitely feels normal but I've gone a month without the issue coming back so I won't say that's it's a guarantee yet.

My only gripe is that with the new fuel pump my average MPG has greatly dropped. I would average about 12-13 mpg under heavy use like paddle shifting around the city to enjoy the ride. Under calm normal driving Im hitting between 9-10 mpg. If I drove it hard like before I'm pretty sure it would go lower
Old 11-20-2020, 07:11 AM   #97
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Ok had the car a week so far. Got the battery check after 4 days and they said it looks like its holding it's charge and hasn't changed since install. No hiccups during start ups at all.

The car definitely feels normal but I've gone a month without the issue coming back so I won't say that's it's a guarantee yet.

My only gripe is that with the new fuel pump my average MPG has greatly dropped. I would average about 12-13 mpg under heavy use like paddle shifting around the city to enjoy the ride. Under calm normal driving Im hitting between 9-10 mpg. If I drove it hard like before I'm pretty sure it would go lower
Is it possible that the ECU is still 'learning' and you're simply running a bit rich? Depending on how long the battery was disconnected, all of the trim adjustments may have been lost and will take some driving to get them re-learned correctly.

It sucks when issues that can't be reliably reproduced get addressed... All you can do it wait to see if it recurs, but you don't have a method to try and cause the problem. So, there's never any "proof" that it got fixed.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 AM   #98
craigss50

I don't think mine could use that much fuel no matter how hard I drove it. Something doesn't sound right. Is your car modified?

Tags
electrical issues, fuel pump, not starting